70014IronDuke
Established Member
- Joined
- 13 Jun 2015
- Messages
- 4,089
Talk of the fromer GWR 14xx (48xx) class 0-4-2T auto-train tanks in the last push-pull train thread made me think of their Indian 'cousins'. I remember seeing some of these locos in India in 1976, probably in the Punjab (maybe Ludhiana?) and Ambala Cantonment. I think they were painted maroon. They were in steam (from memory) but I did not see them working, so I have no idea as to what their duties were.
Did they actually have any relationship to the GWR locos, or was it just coincidence that the Indian railway of the day needed a small tank loco and chose the 0-4-2T arrangement as suitable for requirements? Presumably they could have been 0-4-0Ts, but needed a larger bunker, and hence the trailing axle? Did India use push-pull trains and were these locos so fitted, anyone know?
Did they actually have any relationship to the GWR locos, or was it just coincidence that the Indian railway of the day needed a small tank loco and chose the 0-4-2T arrangement as suitable for requirements? Presumably they could have been 0-4-0Ts, but needed a larger bunker, and hence the trailing axle? Did India use push-pull trains and were these locos so fitted, anyone know?