• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

I'm thinking of a station...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Welshman

Established Member
Joined
11 Mar 2010
Messages
3,068
No - two Bradford stations didn't close in 1964.
But you're close, though.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
As there's been only one response, perhaps a clue would help:-

In my original post, I deliberately said "the town with which I share a name", for this station, although nearby and including the title of the original town in its name, was built, not intending to be a direct replacement for that town's two stations which closed, but to serve a different market.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
OK - final clue:-

Think of Children in Need.
 
Last edited:

Eagle

Established Member
Joined
20 Feb 2011
Messages
7,106
Location
Leamingrad / Blanfrancisco
Research indicates that Pudsey Lowtown and Pudsey Greenside closed in 1964, and New Pudsey opened in 1967. So I appear to be correct.

My clue.

I'm named after a nearby village X, although I'm actually in another village called "X Station". I used to be named after a slightly further away town Y, as "Y Road", but changed my name when Y got a station of its own on a different line built by the same company that built me.
 
Last edited:

Welshman

Established Member
Joined
11 Mar 2010
Messages
3,068
Yes, Eagle is indeed correct. Well done!

Is yours King's Nympton?
 
Last edited:

martinsh

Established Member
Joined
27 Jan 2011
Messages
1,766
Location
Considering a move to Memphis
this station is over a mile from the centre of the (smallish) town that it is named after, and is actually in a separate village (though the whole area is built up these days) and was named after that until the station in the centre of town was closed in the 1960s.

It has 2 platforms and is served by 2 TOCs.
 

Welshman

Established Member
Joined
11 Mar 2010
Messages
3,068
This station is in the North of England.
When it was opened on its first site, a member of a now-famous literary family worked there.
On its second site, it had a splendid Tudor-style frontage, which was destroyed by fire, and the station now just has two platforms.

What is the name of the station, and for a bonus point, can you name the member of the literary family?
 

martinsh

Established Member
Joined
27 Jan 2011
Messages
1,766
Location
Considering a move to Memphis
This station is in the North of England.
When it was opened on its first site, a member of a now-famous literary family worked there.
On its second site, it had a splendid Tudor-style frontage, which was destroyed by fire, and the station now just has two platforms.

What is the name of the station, and for a bonus point, can you name the member of the literary family?

Luddendenfoot, Bramwell Bronte
 

dzug2

Member
Joined
5 Feb 2011
Messages
867
It will be Sowerby Bridge - with the said Brontë
Yes he was at Luddendenfoot as well but that closed yonx ago
 

Welshman

Established Member
Joined
11 Mar 2010
Messages
3,068
Yes - it's Sowerby Bridge.

Branwell Bronte started working there, before moving to the now closed Luddenden Foot.
 

dzug2

Member
Joined
5 Feb 2011
Messages
867
I'm thinking of a station - two in fact.

Each is at the end of a branch line off the same mainline

As the crow files they are about 16 miles apart - by road about 22 miles

By rail they are about 35 miles - maybe a little more - and if a through train were to be run it would need at least 4 reversals

Where are we?
 

ole man

Member
Joined
6 Jul 2011
Messages
739
Location
LEC5
Ok I'll take it.

I have 2 Platforms.
Served only by 1 TOC.
Have a level crossing next to me controlled by my signal box, though quite soon it will disappear
 

dzug2

Member
Joined
5 Feb 2011
Messages
867
Ok I'll take it.

I have 2 Platforms.
Served only by 1 TOC.
Have a level crossing next to me controlled by my signal box, though quite soon it will disappear

The level crossing or the signal box? or both?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top