• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

I'm thinking of a station...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dzug2

Member
Joined
5 Feb 2011
Messages
867
OP seems to have forgotten he set this. Perhaps we should abandon it as a lost cause and start another one
 

Ivo

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2010
Messages
7,307
Location
Bath (or Southend)
Right you are then!

I'm going to use a different layout for this one. There are four clues, each of which is progressively more difficult than the last - but far more specific. The first clue is simple but cannot be used to ascertain the correct answer alone, while the last is far harder but otherwise very limited. There is also a fifth clue, but you would need nothing short of telepathic power to make any use of it :lol:

1: This station has third rail electrification.
2: This station's name begins with a letter than in Scrabble is worth 4 points.
3: This station is famous for one specific service that on the service appears very basic and no different to most others in almost every way.
4: This station's name features a nearby settlement in its name, but not as the actual locality of the station; it is also neither a Parkway nor a London terminus.

What do you think? Here is Clue 5, which is all-but impossible unless you can employ a psychic power and read either myself or my computer data!

5: A fictional series I have created that is not found in this thread is primarily set with one mile of this station, but far from exclusively.

I think this is the very first time this creation has been mentioned to anyone besides close friends or family - and it's been around for eight months now :shock:
 
Last edited:

Ivo

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2010
Messages
7,307
Location
Bath (or Southend)
Geographically speaking it's a very good guess; within ten miles. But it is not correct. I will clarify Clue 4 to exclude London termini to prevent any similar guesses.
 

Ivo

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2010
Messages
7,307
Location
Bath (or Southend)
Aye. Wandsworth Road it is.

For the record, my project thing is primarily based close to Clapham Common, but extends in all directions to places are far away as Colchester and Brighton.
 

Welshman

Established Member
Joined
11 Mar 2010
Messages
3,068
OK, try this one:-

I am managed by Northern Rail.
At the height of railway usage I used to be one of three stations serving this town.
I myself was a Joint Station.
I am now the only one left, and much-reduced myself.

Who am I, and what was the name of my other companions?
 

Nym

Established Member
Joined
2 Mar 2007
Messages
9,794
Location
Somewhere, not in London
Only NR Managed stations I can think of that only have one station are Leeds (City) and Edinbrugh (Waverley), or Gatwick in Crawley, but thats a new station, not rationalised, Edninbrugh wasn't joint in 1914, so I'm going to have to go for the current

Leeds City

Formally known as: New Station (L&NW and NER Joint)

Other stations being:
Central and Wellington...
 

Welshman

Established Member
Joined
11 Mar 2010
Messages
3,068
Only NR Managed stations I can think of that only have one station are Leeds (City) and Edinbrugh (Waverley), or Gatwick in Crawley, but thats a new station, not rationalised, Edninbrugh wasn't joint in 1914, so I'm going to have to go for the current

Leeds City

Formally known as: New Station (L&NW and NER Joint)

Other stations being:
Central and Wellington...

Sorry, Nym. You misread my post. I said Northern Rail not Network Rail. :)
 

martinsh

Established Member
Joined
27 Jan 2011
Messages
1,766
Location
Considering a move to Memphis
Widnes (formerly Widnes North)

This was a Cheshire Lines (Mid / GN / GC jt) station.

Other stations were Widnes Central (CLC ?) and Widnes South (LNW)

Not sure about the "much reduced" bit though. Currently has 2 platforms, don't think it ever had any more ?
 

Welshman

Established Member
Joined
11 Mar 2010
Messages
3,068
Nice try - 2 out of 3, but, as you say, it's not "reduced" very much.
Sorry, so it's not Widnes.
 

Welshman

Established Member
Joined
11 Mar 2010
Messages
3,068
No, sorry, it's not Stockport.

AFAIK, Stockport only had two stations [Edgeley and Tiviot Dale] and not 3; Stockport Edgeley was not a Joint Station and although some of its platforms have been recently removed, it's not "much reduced" in fact with its platform "0" it could be said to have been enlarged!!

Sorry.
 

Welshman

Established Member
Joined
11 Mar 2010
Messages
3,068
Well done with Halifax.

It's three stations were Halifax Town on the L&Y Manchester-Bradford line, Halifax North Bridge on the G.N. Halifax-Queensbury-Bradford line and Halifax High Level [St.Paul's] on a branch off the G.N. line. All that now remains is the former Halifax Town, renamed simply "Halifax"

This station used to have 7 platforms, including the cattle dock, and it was a Joint L. & Y. and G.N. station. It is now reduced to 2 platforms.


Had no-one got it by the end of the day, I was going to give the clue:-
"You may wish to shout Eureka! when you get this!" but no need.

The floor is yours.
 

Welshman

Established Member
Joined
11 Mar 2010
Messages
3,068
I'm not sure, Eagle, whether you're joking or not.

If you are, I'm sorry to ruin your punchline!
If you're not, the "Eureka!" Children's Museum now occupies much of the site of the old Halifax Town station.
 

Nym

Established Member
Joined
2 Mar 2007
Messages
9,794
Location
Somewhere, not in London
Come on, you should know there aren't any Engineers with a mental age over 2...

And I fully admit to having bipolar moments switching between high and low mental ages..
 

Ivo

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2010
Messages
7,307
Location
Bath (or Southend)
All right then. I'll give you all one to ponder and then return in an hour or so to see what you've come up with.

A fairly small station with a limited range of destinations, I am sited within range of a forgotten "treasure" of British holidays. In years gone by this station was known for being exceedingly busy on one specific day of the year, with up to 20% of its modern annual patronage total often being recorded on that one day; there are records of as many as 150,000 passengers having arrived in some instances - a total that if maintained year-round would roughly match Liverpool Street. Since that heyday however, one of the two main routes to this station has closed, and in the post-Beeching era the line through here has been curtailed to terminate one station short of its previous terminus.
 

Ivo

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2010
Messages
7,307
Location
Bath (or Southend)
I haven't even left yet to commence the "hour-or-so" and it's been answered already :|

Your floor, unless you declare otherwise. I shan't take at this time should you leave it open.
 

Nym

Established Member
Joined
2 Mar 2007
Messages
9,794
Location
Somewhere, not in London
Blackpool Central

One Day: Iluminations
Destinations: Now only Clone via Preston
Cut back to: Blackpool South
One of the Two Routes: Now a road and under the M55.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top