• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

I'm thinking of a station...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

martinsh

Established Member
Joined
27 Jan 2011
Messages
1,766
Location
Considering a move to Memphis
this station currently only has one platform, and is on a single track line, but it used to have 6 platforms (though I'm not sure how much use was made of 2 of them)
 

dzug2

Member
Joined
5 Feb 2011
Messages
867
I'm thinking of a station - well three actually.

The town now has one station, with 5 platforms, served by 2 TOCs.

It originally had 3 stations, served by 2 pregrouping companies.

What are the 3 stations?

(Here's hoping it's not too difficult, and even more that there are not multiple correct answers)
 

exile

Established Member
Joined
16 Jul 2011
Messages
1,342
I can think of a few 3-station towns but not fitting the other criteria!
 

martinsh

Established Member
Joined
27 Jan 2011
Messages
1,766
Location
Considering a move to Memphis
I can think of stations that fit this description with 2,3,4 or 6 platforms, but not 5. It fact very few stations have 5 platforms !

PS is it Southport ? Chapel Street, Lord St, St Lukes. Merseyrail / Northern. Lancs & Yorks / Cheshire Lines.
 

dzug2

Member
Joined
5 Feb 2011
Messages
867
Yes, that's why I thought it was probably wrong.

Derby would fit, except for the number of platforms ...

Too many TOCs as well - there's one Northern train a day

Not that I knew that when I devised the question....
 

dzug2

Member
Joined
5 Feb 2011
Messages
867
Not Portsmouth
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Time for a clue I think

The last of the 3 stations to open was also the first to close.

At the other end of the line it served is a town that has a station with a similar name.
 

gnolife

Established Member
Joined
4 Nov 2010
Messages
2,047
Location
Johnstone
Northampton Bridge Street
Northampton St Johns Street (first to close) and
Northampton Castle (Current)?
 

gnolife

Established Member
Joined
4 Nov 2010
Messages
2,047
Location
Johnstone
This two platform station is served by one operator only. Trains out of this station go to a large city, but the journey times to that city can be cut down by changing off this direct train
 
Last edited:

WestCoast

Established Member
Joined
19 Jun 2010
Messages
5,665
Location
South Yorkshire
This two platform station is served by one operator only. Trains out of this station go to a large city, but the journey times to that city can be cut down by changing off this direct train

I am tempted to say Congleton, but it has peak-hour XC services.
 

dzug2

Member
Joined
5 Feb 2011
Messages
867
This two platform station is served by one operator only. Trains out of this station go to a large city, but the journey times to that city can be cut down by changing off this direct train

Well Radley Appleford and Culham fit - as do Heyford and Tackley. And Pangbourne. Most of the time.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Northampton Bridge Street
Northampton St Johns Street (first to close) and
Northampton Castle (Current)?

As a matter of interest did you need the additional clue or know it anyway?
 

gnolife

Established Member
Joined
4 Nov 2010
Messages
2,047
Location
Johnstone
Well Radley Appleford and Culham fit - as do Heyford and Tackley. And Pangbourne. Most of the time.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---


As a matter of interest did you need the additional clue or know it anyway?

I knew Northampton had 3 stations, it was just a lucky guess

and none of the answers so far are correct.
First clue
This station is popular throughout the country, but theres another nearby station which is even more popular (think about the names of the stations)
 

Boothby97

Established Member
Joined
24 Apr 2011
Messages
1,753
Location
Cleethorpes
Is it llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch.
Just a lucky guess.
Thanks, Sam
 

exile

Established Member
Joined
16 Jul 2011
Messages
1,342
Surely if dzug2 has named stations that fit the description, he should get the baton unless you add a new criterion?
 

gnolife

Established Member
Joined
4 Nov 2010
Messages
2,047
Location
Johnstone
fine, its in the former NSE area.
And I don't buy the "baton should be passed on because he got a station that fits the description", its I'm thinking of a station
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top