• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

I'm thinking of a station...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dzug2

Member
Joined
5 Feb 2011
Messages
867
Where's Lochluichart? Between Inverness and Kyle of Lochalsh.....

It had to be relocated in the 1950s due to a hydroelectric scheme - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lochluichart_railway_station

Whether it had 2 platforms before it was relocated - I'm not sure!

According to http://www.railbrit.co.uk/Dingwall_and_Skye_Railway/frame.htm there was no loop at the old station, so presumably only one platform.

The possibility of multiple correct answers is always there with this thread though
 

martinsh

Established Member
Joined
27 Jan 2011
Messages
1,766
Location
Considering a move to Memphis

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
20 Mar 2011
Messages
3,894
Location
West Country
Seeming as it's open floor...

I have 2 platforms, yet I used to have 4 - the track still remains though. I am on the edge of a junction.
 

Boothby97

Established Member
Joined
24 Apr 2011
Messages
1,753
Location
Cleethorpes
Can I come up with a station?
If so, this is mine,
I am only served by trains on Saturday, 3 in each direction. I have two platforms and some residents don't know I'm here. And if I was to tell you the line it would make this easy.
 
Last edited:

dzug2

Member
Joined
5 Feb 2011
Messages
867
Can I come up with a station?
If so, this is mine,
I am only served by trains on Saturday, 3 in each direction. I have two platforms and some residents don't know I'm here. And if I was to tell you the line it would make this easy.

Brigg and Gainsborough Central both fit the description - the latter is probably the one you want
 

dzug2

Member
Joined
5 Feb 2011
Messages
867
Despite only having one train a day each way, this station has recently acquired a second platform
 

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
20 Mar 2011
Messages
3,894
Location
West Country
Hint. Don't select stations that are near to where you live ! I started at Droitwich and worked outwards.
I usually go for a variety around the country but it just so happens I did one in the West Mids. ;)

As for the answer, I think it's on the Cotswold Line; Coome Halt??
 
Last edited:

dzug2

Member
Joined
5 Feb 2011
Messages
867
Ascott is right - Combe is on the remaining single track section.

open floor
 

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
20 Mar 2011
Messages
3,894
Location
West Country
I have 2 platforms; I am served by 2 TOCs: the first providing regular 2/3tph stopping services and the other providing inter-regional services (1tph). Fast trains pass though non-stop. Where am I?
 

exile

Established Member
Joined
16 Jul 2011
Messages
1,342
It could describe Widnes except NR only call twice per hour and never three times. EMT calls once an hour on its way from Liverpool to Nottingham and beyond and TPE pass without stopping.
 

gnolife

Established Member
Joined
4 Nov 2010
Messages
2,047
Location
Johnstone
Heald Green?
Northern as the Stopping operator
FTPE as the interregional
both companies provide the fasts that dont call

(I was also considering Llandudno Jn, but decided that it didnt really fit)
 

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
20 Mar 2011
Messages
3,894
Location
West Country
It could describe Widnes except NR only call twice per hour and never three times. EMT calls once an hour on its way from Liverpool to Nottingham and beyond and TPE pass without stopping.

Heald Green?
Northern as the Stopping operator
FTPE as the interregional
both companies provide the fasts that dont call

(I was also considering Llandudno Jn, but decided that it didnt really fit)
Both places are wrong but gnolife you are half right:

Additional clues -
Northern are the local operator
FTPE are the inter-regional but also some fasts

4 aspect signalling is present and the line isn't electrified.
 

gnolife

Established Member
Joined
4 Nov 2010
Messages
2,047
Location
Johnstone
This station has the same number of platform as routes that the train can take in either direction, and is the only station between two different junctions. Any route leaving the station in one direction reaches the same terminus, but one route in the other direction reaches its terminus much sooner than the rest.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top