• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

I'm thinking of a station...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nym

Established Member
Joined
2 Mar 2007
Messages
9,795
Location
Somewhere, not in London
Not Gorton but you're within 50 miles of the awnser.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Would you like more clues or the awnser?
 

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
23 Mar 2011
Messages
2,631
Maybe the first letter. Or an OS map 4 figure grid reference ;)!
 

Nym

Established Member
Joined
2 Mar 2007
Messages
9,795
Location
Somewhere, not in London
Not Earlstown, one last clue for the morning, it's inside my PTE, I'll post the awnser when I get back from Manchester this afternoon...

So,
Within GMPTE
Has had at least 4 names
Has had a junction now covered by a motorway (that lead directly to a Locomotive works)
Has two ToCs serving it, one only in the peaks.
 
Last edited:

Nym

Established Member
Joined
2 Mar 2007
Messages
9,795
Location
Somewhere, not in London
What other TOC calls at Paitcroft other than Northern? The station is served by two TOC's, one at peak times only, you where scarily close with Horwich Parkway. (that is served by two TOCs all the time)
 

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
23 Mar 2011
Messages
2,631
That would be Blackrod.

Grid reference SD6210 <:D
 

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
23 Mar 2011
Messages
2,631
Hmmmm.....

Once I had trains that left in four directions, but now I have one...and a bit.

Not that long ago I had diesel trains, but now I'm going back to steam.

[That last bit should make it obvious]
 

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
23 Mar 2011
Messages
2,631
Not ones I was thinking of. Mine is is within 50 miles of my back garden.
 

Ivo

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2010
Messages
7,307
Location
Bath (or Southend)
East Grinstead, surely? Even though he lived there, the good Doctor cut three of its four routes, leaving London via Oxted. The "bit" relates to the Bluebell.
 

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
23 Mar 2011
Messages
2,631
Sorry for taking so long, I've been out, indeed I meant East Grinstead (for the second time this thread...no-one really took me up on it last time, so I almost forgot until I posted that clue. :o) The bit is of course the Bluebell extension that they're panicking about at the moment (massive landfill tax rise coming in April)
 

Ivo

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2010
Messages
7,307
Location
Bath (or Southend)
Merci ;)

How about this then...

This station is in one of country's largest urban areas to not have a city in it. However, it has a very poor service, as does the next station to the east, and its name would make a rookie think that it would be in Southwark!
 

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
23 Mar 2011
Messages
2,631
A quick visit to another thread indicated the answer maybe Layton, or certainly something nearby...
 

Ivo

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2010
Messages
7,307
Location
Bath (or Southend)
It may be Layton, but it is not Layton. I can't see how it matches the Southwark clue.

I assume you refer to my city thread? :lol:
 

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
23 Mar 2011
Messages
2,631
Yes, you used the exact wording given for Blackpool (well, near enough)!

Poulton-le-Fylde (although that's more Essex) and then I'm going back to have another look.
 

Ivo

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2010
Messages
7,307
Location
Bath (or Southend)
Nothing out of the ordinary in that post. No hidden messages, or anything. This isn't the Cryptic Clue thread remember ;)

PMR has far too good a service.
 

Ivo

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2010
Messages
7,307
Location
Bath (or Southend)
Sorry about the delay!

Again, I do not see how Roose could be confused with Southwark. The station in question could easily be assumed to be in Southwark.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top