• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

I'm thinking of a station...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
20 Mar 2011
Messages
3,894
Location
West Country
While we wait for Paul to return...

IGNORE POST
 
Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Joined
17 Apr 2011
Messages
35,466
Location
A typical commuter-belt part of north-west England
While we wait for Paul to return I shall post one:

I have semaphores still but I am on a main line

That's a bit naughty of you....I checked this morning at 06:00 and no-one still had tried to answer my conundrum. I cannot be expected to be on the quiz forum all the time...there are threads to reply to on other forums, such as the Marmite one on the GR forum.

Why don't you and HST Power try to solve mine?
 

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
20 Mar 2011
Messages
3,894
Location
West Country
That's a bit naughty of you....I checked this morning at 06:00 and no-one still had tried to answer my conundrum. I cannot be expected to be on the quiz forum all the time...there are threads to reply to on other forums, such as the Marmite one on the GR forum.

Why don't you and HST Power try to solve mine?
I would try and guess it if I knew what the clues were, by the time I've managed to find some, I've forgotten the first! Sorry about butting in, it just seemed that the thread had frozen for a bit, I have taken mine off :)
 

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Joined
17 Apr 2011
Messages
35,466
Location
A typical commuter-belt part of north-west England
I would try and guess it if I knew what the clues were, by the time I've managed to find some, I've forgotten the first! Sorry about butting in, it just seemed that the thread had frozen for a bit, I have taken mine off :)

There are some intermittant INTERNET problems this morning. Still, for the sake of good order, the clues are:-
1) Station is in Scotland
2) Has only ONE platform
3) Had a water tank.

I first posted this on 21st May and have had 4 incorrect answers....and a Newcastle United fan on to date. I do look regularly to check.
 

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
20 Mar 2011
Messages
3,894
Location
West Country
Hmmm... My railway knowledge doesn't go any farther north than Carlisle, so it's going to be a complete guess. My first thoughts is that it is on the Inverness-Kyle line: Achnasheen?
 

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Joined
17 Apr 2011
Messages
35,466
Location
A typical commuter-belt part of north-west England
]
It seems that everyone has given up, I honestly don't have a clue! :)

THEN I WILL PUT YOU ALL OUT OF YOUR MISERY
Dont forget that I gave FOUR clues
1) A station in Scotland
2) Only has one platform
3) Had a water tank
4) Not on a coastline


The correct answer is one of the most desolate stations in Britain not far from County March summit (708 feet).

It is ALTNABREAC, two stops before Georgemas Junction on the line from Inverness to Thurso/Wick.

NOW BACK TO OPEN FORUM
 
Last edited:

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
20 Mar 2011
Messages
3,894
Location
West Country
Hmmm... If it's open...

I have 4 platforms, two are used regularly and two are used twice daily respectively
 

HST Power

Established Member
Joined
25 Nov 2010
Messages
3,704
I was thinking Carlisle but it has double the platforms, so I don't know!
 

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
20 Mar 2011
Messages
3,894
Location
West Country
Correct it isBarnt Green. Platforms 1-2 are on the XC line but only two LM services stop here each day in both directions. Platforms 3-4 are on the electrified Cross-city line
 

class156

Member
Joined
19 Dec 2009
Messages
153
Location
Irvine
The station i'm thinking of has an Island Platform, and one side of it is on a loop.
I hope this isn't too easy
 

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
23 Mar 2011
Messages
2,631
Well... me guessing Motherwell will at least prolong the clue! ;)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top