• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

I'm thinking of a station...

Status
Not open for further replies.

gnolife

Established Member
Joined
4 Nov 2010
Messages
2,047
Location
Johnstone
The fastest Liverpool-Manchester journey is the 03:38 Northern which calls at Piccadilly and Airport only, taking 44 minutes to Piccadilly
The fastest regular journey is indeed the one that calls at Wavertree TP, St Helens, Newton, Oxford Road, Piccadilly and Airport, taking 48 mins to Piccadilly
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

robschopper

Member
Joined
21 Mar 2011
Messages
47
This station was once the third largest in the country ... but, due to Dr. Beeching, now has just a single platform and a bus shelter. You can get from here to New York with just one change and without ever going outside.

Back later.
 
Last edited:

gnolife

Established Member
Joined
4 Nov 2010
Messages
2,047
Location
Johnstone
third largest in which country, we don't know if you're English, Scottish, or Welsh, or if you're referring to the UK as a whole

ill take a guess at Kendal though
 

robschopper

Member
Joined
21 Mar 2011
Messages
47
Arr Haa! You are prempting a future clue.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
third largest in which country, we don't know if you're English, Scottish, or Welsh, or if you're referring to the UK as a whole

ill take a guess at Kendal though

I'm not sure the origins of my parentage are entirely relevant to the question in hand, however ... the country in question is Wales.
 

robschopper

Member
Joined
21 Mar 2011
Messages
47
Not Barry Island.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Oxted - Not Lowestoft either!!
 

robschopper

Member
Joined
21 Mar 2011
Messages
47
Aber has a booking office and buffet to this day.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Clue then - I was originally named after a town that is 16 miles away by road.
 

robschopper

Member
Joined
21 Mar 2011
Messages
47
Oxted has it.

Morfa Mawddach was originally Barmouth Junction and, in terms of number of platforms, was the third largest in Wales with five, after Cardiff Central and Swansea High Street. Barmouth itself is a mile and a half by train and about sixteen by road. Now all that is left is one platform where the up Machynlleth platform used to be. The two of the other four platforms are still there in the undergrowth, with the bay platform forming part of the car park. Direct trains to Birmingham International mean you can go to New York (or indeed Dubai) with just one change and without getting wet in the rain.
 
Last edited:

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
20 Mar 2011
Messages
3,894
Location
West Country
2 weeks have past so I think it's time we breathed some life into this thread.

I have I direct service to London, yet I serve a village; I am not in 3rd rail land
 

Welshman

Established Member
Joined
11 Mar 2010
Messages
3,068
Now severely rationalised, I used to be an important interchange between the L&Y and LNWR. I even had a billiards room.
 

Nym

Established Member
Joined
2 Mar 2007
Messages
9,795
Location
Somewhere, not in London
Manchester Victoria

Although Victoria was the L&Y Station and Exchange the LNWR, but they did share a platform, and I think some LNWR services ran though
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top