I beg to differ
in fact id go as far as to say utter nonsense
It might have been helpful had you illuminated this opinion with a few points of fact.
You stated that HS2 to Scotland would have no effect on air patronage. Could we hear from you why?
I beg to differ
in fact id go as far as to say utter nonsense
Because it was desirable to have a high-speed link into the terminal (rather than using existing congested suburban lines with low linespeeds and restricted loading gauge) and it was genuinely easier to do that into St Pancras (which at the time was a backwater)
I agree St Pancras was a backwater, but given the station space was available at Waterloo it seems hard to believe that separation (albeit more costly) of local and international tracks couldn't have taken place there.
I never understood the logic of moving from Waterloo. The trains go south, so why put them into a station in the north of the city facing north. Not to mention all the work that then required at St Pancras.
Surely non stop runs will become impossible soon, due to the need to stop at Berwick / Carlisle for border checks !!![]()
I never understood the logic of moving from Waterloo. The trains go south, so why put them into a station in the north of the city facing north. Not to mention all the work that then required at St Pancras.
The French would never have allowed the Channel Tunnel to be built if the terminus remained permanently at Waterloo :P![]()
I'll try and pretend I didn't read that. Remember what you wrote when the Battles of Verdun (for example) come up for remembrance shortly. I wish this xenophobic stuff could fade away but - wishing for the impossible I imagine.I heard they put up a brief fight about that, then surrendered.![]()
I'll try and pretend I didn't read that. Remember what you wrote when the Battles of Verdun (for example) come up for remembrance shortly. I wish this xenophobic stuff could fade away but - wishing for the impossible I imagine.
On a serious rail point, I think Waterloo is the most uselessly situated of all the London termini.
I'm preeeetty sure he was joking![]()
I think rail travel is less appealing once journey times exceed 3 hours. People used to fly to Manchester from London. I know the london to Paris routes are still popular but hasnt Eurostar destroyed the competition ?
Has anyone flown from a Scottish airport to London City? If so, from landing to exiting the airport, with a luggage, how long does it take?
Has anyone flown from a Scottish airport to London City? If so, from landing to exiting the airport, with a luggage, how long does it take?
Varies, but on average Less than 10 minutes.
Has anyone flown from a Scottish airport to London City? If so, from landing to exiting the airport, with a luggage, how long does it take?
The manager of the Marks & Spencer on Waterloo concourse told me they used to do a big trade on Sunday evenings with returning weekenders from Paris walking between trains, which was all lost when the St Pancras move took place.
I guessed that, but the joke doesn't work now that Scots have rejected independence.
I think the joke might return within a few years.
In my experience, Glagow-Euston is less attractive than flying as GLC facilities are poor (no FC lounge) and onward travel by train is unappealing, i.e. the tatty diesel trains running down to East Kilbride. If you live in Busby, Clarkston or even down to East Kilbride, it hardly takes any longer to get home driving on the M8/M77 from the airport.
More people to the west of Glasgow would consider the train if there were more services that stopped at Motherwell. As it stands, if you miss the early evening train from Euston, you're left waiting hours for the next stopping service.
You also need to factor in the total ban on FC travel in the public sector. 4hrs in FC with quiet and space was acceptable, 4h in standard on the Pendolini less so. At least flying you are only scrunched up in a hot, airless cabin for 75 mins.
In my experience, Glagow-Euston is less attractive than flying as GLC facilities are poor (no FC lounge) and onward travel by train is unappealing, i.e. the tatty diesel trains running down to East Kilbride. If you live in Busby, Clarkston or even down to East Kilbride, it hardly takes any longer to get home driving on the M8/M77 from the airport.
You'll never please everyone. Putting Eurostar at St Pancras makes it much more attractive to passengers connecting to or from any of the West Coast, East Coast or Midland main lines (no Underground transfer required at all) and arguably from Paddington as well (via the H&C from ground level platforms rather than having to take luggage down to the deep tube). Waterloo International is only really convenient to people whose connections bring them in to Waterloo or Waterloo East.
We've probably done this one to death now, but, essentially, the Scottish cities are beyond the 3 hour barrier. With HS2, we are in a different ball game, but transfer and outer suburban pax will still prefer air. I can see that some business travellers will increasingly prefer the quiet and service on a London to Scotland trip, as long as full internet facilities are a given component. That's why I think improved super fast service to and from Scots cities to London will extract some traffic from air, compared with now..
In my experience, Glagow-Euston is less attractive than flying as GLC facilities are poor (no FC lounge) and onward travel by train is unappealing, i.e. the tatty diesel trains running down to East Kilbride. If you live in Busby, Clarkston or even down to East Kilbride, it hardly takes any longer to get home driving on the M8/M77 from the airport.
More people to the west of Glasgow would consider the train if there were more services that stopped at Motherwell. As it stands, if you miss the early evening train from Euston, you're left waiting hours for the next stopping service.
You also need to factor in the total ban on FC travel in the public sector. 4hrs in FC with quiet and space was acceptable, 4h in standard on the Pendolini less so. At least flying you are only scrunched up in a hot, airless cabin for 75 mins.
On a serious rail point, I think Waterloo is the most uselessly situated of all the London termini.
Waterloo and London Bridge are the only ones south of the river and not on or easy walking distance from the Circle Line. And many of the trains from London Bridge go to Cannon Street or Charing Cross.
Eurostar leaving Waterloo has at least made space to handle the predicted huge growth in commuter numbers.
Thats why the Waterloo and City Line was built by the LSWR in 1898.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
And its either London Bridge or Waterloo that the highest proportion of commuters who walk to work upon arrival at the forementioned London Terminals.
Hmm the M&S Food Place on Waterloo concourse is the busiest of any that I use. It's not that unusual to queue for the cash desk from just inside the entrance.Can't have done them that much harm, seeing as they expanded their main unit, opened a second on the station, then a third across Waterloo Road.