• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Idea: Could HSTs be converted to hotel-sleepers for electrification teams?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Joined
11 Apr 2012
Messages
10,568
Location
Preston Lancs
I was lying awake and thought that a big inefficiency in electrification work is mobilizing people to site. I was thinking that for say Transpennine (if-when it gets the go ahead) is so remote in places it would be very efficient if a HST was converted to have showers and beds and restaurant etc and even extra fuel and generators. Is this feasible or would the BCR be way too low for a project of this nature?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

route:oxford

Established Member
Joined
1 Nov 2008
Messages
4,949
I was lying awake and thought that a big inefficiency in electrification work is mobilizing people to site. I was thinking that for say Transpennine (if-when it gets the go ahead) is so remote in places it would be very efficient if a HST was converted to have showers and beds and restaurant etc and even extra fuel and generators. Is this feasible or would the BCR be way too low for a project of this nature?

It's not *that* remote.

Don't forget people have families and responsibilities outside of work.
 

gingertom

Established Member
Joined
19 Jun 2017
Messages
1,335
Location
Kilsyth
I was lying awake and thought that a big inefficiency in electrification work is mobilizing people to site. I was thinking that for say Transpennine (if-when it gets the go ahead) is so remote in places it would be very efficient if a HST was converted to have showers and beds and restaurant etc and even extra fuel and generators. Is this feasible or would the BCR be way too low for a project of this nature?
CS will have a few MK3 sleepers going spare once the MK5s arrive and enter service. BCR has to be higher than NR high output electrification train :frown:
 

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Joined
11 Apr 2012
Messages
10,568
Location
Preston Lancs
It's not *that* remote.

Don't forget people have families and responsibilities outside of work.
I was thinking 1 week on one week off with shift payments and unsociable hours payments (even though salaried) - I was thinking would be more efficient.

CS will have a few MK3 sleepers going spare once the MK5s arrive and enter service. BCR has to be higher than NR high output electrification train :frown:

Hauled by 67 or 68s I assume - do they have the necessary ETS ? I assume they must.
 

Ploughman

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2010
Messages
3,107
Location
Near where the 3 ridings meet
Between Standedge tunnel West end and Paddock west of Huddersfield it is possible to drive trackside, not continuously as you need to change sides, but access is relatively easy.Unsure about the situation West of the tunnel though.
Trackside access between Huddersfield and Deighton is more restricted.
Deighton to Heaton Lodge is easy access.
Elsewhere nowhere is more than about 1/2 mile from an access.
Mirfield tunnel will be the longest stretch of no access but not really a problem.
I used to regularly do my 10 hours on site and still comply with 12 hours max including travel.

So, to my mind no reason for providing sleeper coaches.

Now if it was on the S+C possibly but even there access points are available.
 

gingertom

Established Member
Joined
19 Jun 2017
Messages
1,335
Location
Kilsyth
what about for the Highland Mainline Perth-Inverness? Goes through some pretty remote places.
 

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,373
Location
Yorkshire
Between Standedge tunnel West end and Paddock west of Huddersfield it is possible to drive trackside, not continuously as you need to change sides, but access is relatively easy.Unsure about the situation West of the tunnel though.
Trackside access between Huddersfield and Deighton is more restricted.
Deighton to Heaton Lodge is easy access.
Elsewhere nowhere is more than about 1/2 mile from an access.
Mirfield tunnel will be the longest stretch of no access but not really a problem.
I used to regularly do my 10 hours on site and still comply with 12 hours max including travel.

So, to my mind no reason for providing sleeper coaches.

Now if it was on the S+C possibly but even there access points are available.
Mirfield tunnel? I presume you mean Morley?
 

Indigo Soup

Established Member
Joined
17 May 2018
Messages
1,488
what about for the Highland Mainline Perth-Inverness? Goes through some pretty remote places.
Not that remote; the Beauly-Denny transmission lines went up just fine without a need for expensive mobile accommodation at the job site. If we ever get around to electrifying Rannoch Moor then it might be worth thinking about. But even then, it probably doesn't make any sense. Just put the workers up in local hotels/B&Bs and take them to the job site in minibuses.
 

CosherB

Established Member
Joined
23 Feb 2007
Messages
3,041
Location
Northwich
I was lying awake and thought that a big inefficiency in electrification work is mobilizing people to site. I was thinking that for say Transpennine (if-when it gets the go ahead) is so remote in places it would be very efficient if a HST was converted to have showers and beds and restaurant etc and even extra fuel and generators. Is this feasible or would the BCR be way too low for a project of this nature?
Have you heard of Premier Inn?
 

GusB

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2016
Messages
8,190
Location
Elginshire
Let's not forget that when any infrastructure works are taking place, it can give a significant and steady income boost to small hotels and B&Bs, especially in the months where tourist income would be expected to drop. My local regularly accommodates parties of workers who are working on various projects such as refurbishment of MOD premises, wind-farm construction etc. The construction of the distillery at Roseisle was a fairly long term project, and I got chatting to a couple of guys from Network Rail who were in the area doing some upgrade work (GSM-R, I think). That's a guaranteed fixed allowance for accommodation and food per person, plus whatever cash passes over the bar in the evening.
 

TheSeeker

Member
Joined
15 Feb 2016
Messages
314
Location
Braine-l'Alleud
Here in Belgium Infrabel, the rail infrastructure operator has something similar. From the pictures they look pretty cool inside.

https://www.warsco.eu/realisaties/leeftrein-infrabel

img_3833_kopie.jpg
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,835
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
I was lying awake and thought that a big inefficiency in electrification work is mobilizing people to site. I was thinking that for say Transpennine (if-when it gets the go ahead) is so remote in places it would be very efficient if a HST was converted to have showers and beds and restaurant etc and even extra fuel and generators. Is this feasible or would the BCR be way too low for a project of this nature?

It'd be a lot easier and cheaper to acquire the old Caledonian Sleeper Mk3s for that purpose than convert non-sleeper coaches to sleeper coaches.
 

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Joined
11 Apr 2012
Messages
10,568
Location
Preston Lancs
It'd be a lot easier and cheaper to acquire the old Caledonian Sleeper Mk3s for that purpose than convert non-sleeper coaches to sleeper coaches.
And then be able to use any loco fitted with ETH of whatever it is called these days Electric Train Supply? I suppose HSTs are a solution waiting for a problem?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top