• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

I feel sympathy for train staff

Status
Not open for further replies.

bramling

Veteran Member
Joined
5 Mar 2012
Messages
20,413
Location
Hertfordshire / Teesdale
But what could these 'Security Guards' actually do that a Guard cant?

In reality very little.

My experience of security staff on the railway is that they will go round picking on 'easy' targets, the classic example being a railway enthusiast taking photos, but completely disappear when there's a major issue going on where there presence would be welcome. All in all in practice I think they're a waste of money.

A BTP presence to stop problem people getting as far as reaching the train is the only worthwhile measure in my view, although this opens up cans of worms too, as well as being extremely costly.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Antman

Established Member
Joined
3 May 2013
Messages
6,840
Sad to hear that. Employers have a duty of care for their workers but it seems all they care about are their RIDDOR stats. Any customer facing staff member in any industry face these kind of knuckleheads every working day. Most are harmless but the occasional borderline psychopath will kick off. Nobody should go to work and feel threatened and its up to management to make sure it doesn't happen, whatever the cost.

Easier said than done.
 

GrimShady

Established Member
Joined
13 Dec 2016
Messages
1,740
Yes, I drove that train! It was the 21:33 Edinburgh to Perth. Stood at Linlithgow quite a while! Probably wasn't dealt with in the best way, but heat of the moment stuff and all that!

Honestly I think it was dealt with the right way!
 

321446

Member
Joined
15 Nov 2008
Messages
223
Location
Southend Stations
I think our Revenue Protection Inspectors (RPIs) do an amazing job in the face of such severe provocation by knowing idiots. Honestly. I take my hat off to them every time I see them working.

It comes down to people knowing all there rights and none of their responsibilities. Some are people who must have some clinical problem, by law of averages, but most are just horrible ignorant selfish idiots. And I LIKE working with the public!!! Some of these people will have Karma show up at some point but n their lives at which point I hope they change. Some won't.

Staff cannot even SAY a disparaging word to these people. And the idiots know this. I try to ignore them. I've got a lot locked door, a GSMR, company phone and an uncoupling bar if things kick off, but matey boi calling me a "fat bald c..t" just gets me down because there is nothing I can do that will get a result. Never mind a productive one. He's right on at least two of those btw and I would love to be the other to him with the affore mentioned bar f'sure.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top