• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

HST’s in Preservation

fgwrich

Established Member
Joined
15 Apr 2009
Messages
10,651
Location
Hampshire
Thread unlocked for an update from @fgwrich
Thank You @Mag_seven

Ahead of this weekends railtour, group stalwart and joint world record holding power car 43159 has been returned to Intercity Executive by UKRL at Loughborough.

I will also update the post at the top of the thread as there has been some recent changes since I made that post!

We’ve been keeping a little secret….

 

Attachments

  • IMG_0023.jpeg
    IMG_0023.jpeg
    330.2 KB · Views: 65
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JKF

Established Member
Joined
29 May 2019
Messages
1,321
That is nice. I remember when that livery first appeared we were calling it ‘APT livery’. It felt so futuristic. I think the first loco I saw in it was a class 86 at Northampton station, somewhere I have a photo.
 

yh00157

Member
Joined
26 Jun 2014
Messages
81
hello. I am a railroad fanatic living in Korea.

While studying mechanics in high school and junior college, I also watch railroad cars.

I have a question.

I have confirmed that locomotive 43044 is being preserved by 125 Group.

I would like to know if restoration work is currently underway.

Or will this vehicle be scrapped in the future?

I wrote it in Korean and translated it into English using Google Translator. Please understand.
 

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
30 Jun 2005
Messages
8,875
Location
Rugby
Yes it is planned to fitted with the original Valenta engine


Purchased from Porterbrook, 43044 joined the 125 Group fleet in February 2021 and is currently undergoing works for restoration to Valenta power. On 21st August 2022, 43044 was named ‘Edward Paxman’.
 

Roylang

Member
Joined
29 Mar 2011
Messages
394
Location
Hampshire & Cornwall
I see. By the way, I looked at the recent photo files, but the restoration stopped. Does it take some time?

Also, I am writing this based on Korean; is the English grammar correct?

A lot of the restoration work is invisible when looking at photos. The internals can take a lot of time and money to restore. Many years may pass yet.

Looking at a picture from August, it doesn’t look as though the body is deteriorating, so I wouldn’t worry.

Roy
 

fgwrich

Established Member
Joined
15 Apr 2009
Messages
10,651
Location
Hampshire
A lot of the restoration work is invisible when looking at photos. The internals can take a lot of time and money to restore. Many years may pass yet.

Looking at a picture from August, it doesn’t look as though the body is deteriorating, so I wouldn’t worry.

Roy
Very much this. Whilst a lot of people have simply seen 044 sat outside at Ruddington and Cockshute Yard, Stoke for a number of years, the internals are where the work has been taking place, particularly in having a flywheel made up to couple the Valenta engine and alternator up. This, like much of our HST restoration work is costly, but things are happening in the background all the time across the three groups, be it 125 Group at Bury, 125 Preservation at The Nene and Eastleigh and 125 Heritage at the Colne Valley.

Of course the best way to find out further information is to join the 125 Group as a member.
 
Last edited:

yh00157

Member
Joined
26 Jun 2014
Messages
81
Very much this. Whilst a lot of people have simply seen 044 sat outside at Ruddington and Cockshute Yard, Stoke for a number of years, the internals are where the work has been taking place, particularly in having a flywheel made up to couple the Valenta engine and alternator up. This, like much of our HST restoration work is costly, but things are happening in the background all the time across the three groups, be it 125 Group at Bury, 125 Preservation at The Nene and Eastleigh and 125 Heritage at the Colne Valley.

Of course the best way to find out further information is to join the 125 Group as a member.
Understood. Also, is vehicle 43190 intended for parts recovery?
 

m79900

Member
Joined
28 May 2023
Messages
711
Location
North Derbyshire
Are there plans for any operational HSTs to receive the original headlamp fittings? Its a completely different look, so it'd be great to see.
 

43096

On Moderation
Joined
23 Nov 2015
Messages
18,878
Are there plans for any operational HSTs to receive the original headlamp fittings? Its a completely different look, so it'd be great to see.
Not going to happen on any 125 Group power car - you can’t go backwards in compliance.
 

43096

On Moderation
Joined
23 Nov 2015
Messages
18,878
What is it that makes the old units non compliant exactly? Could they not put modern LEDs in the older style fittings?
Why would you? There are sound engineering reasons (reduced water ingress, less damage from objects) for the new style clusters, even before you get to the issue of cost. Are the people who want this prepared to pay for it…
 

fgwrich

Established Member
Joined
15 Apr 2009
Messages
10,651
Location
Hampshire
What is it that makes the old units non compliant exactly? Could they not put modern LEDs in the older style fittings?
Group standards have changed for mainline running, requiring the lights to be brighter and clearer. Plus the advances in technology makes 3 head/tail lights redundant with combined head/tail LEDs now largely used everywhere.

Also, from an engineering perspective, the original headlights are rubbish. Rain water, wash water, screen wash, all runs down into the light fitting surround and pools in and around it. Humidity and condensation ruins the fibreglass covers and causes corrosion in places you don’t want it to be, and bird and object strikes often meant they had to be replaced often, which usually means more drill holes into the cab fibreglass moulding and framework - some of the cabs undergoing the 2006-2009 overhauls looked like Swiss Cheese in the end.

Even 43018 has somewhat suffered in this area and that is a static exhibit in Crewe. It’s far better to leave the sealed headlamps in, and modify those accordingly (060 for example has newer brighter lights than its MML days and even the LSL cars are modified from those).
 

Top