concerned1
Member
- Joined
- 18 Mar 2012
- Messages
- 40
If I'm understanding this correctly by the end of the project we will have 16 Network Rail platforms and 10 HS2 platforms. Undeniably an increase in capacity for NR. Especially when you consider that many of the top-link express Birmingham and beyond services will have moved next door to the 10 HS2 platforms.
Of the NR platforms 4 will be short ones primarily for the Watford DC lines much like today, and 12 will be longer ones suitable for 11 car Pendolinos and in some cases the Caledonian sleeper. These services will run via Watford and Milton Keynes to many of the stations not served by HS2, I.e everything south of Bham Int. and the lower profile stns further up the WCML.
Very roughly these will be in the same place as the current platforms 1-15, but an extra platform will be squeezed in through realignment and the removal of the vehicle ramps.
All of this means quite a lot of disruption for the next 10 years on the network rail side. Are there any detailed plans or proposals anywhere to explain the impact this will have on timetabling, platform allocation etc?
If I’m understanding this correctly at some point in the mid-2020s we’re going to be down to 10 functioning NR platforms whilst the new alignment and rebuilding takes place…
I’ve heard speculative rumours about various things that I’m happy to share but wondered if anyone had anything a bit more official yet?