• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How Many train crew is there normally on a train?

Status
Not open for further replies.

30909

Member
Joined
4 Mar 2012
Messages
293
I've seen the trolley sporadically on the PDL, generally on weekday afternoons IIRC. I once saw someone being trained as a trolley assistant, so four if you're lucky ;)

On the Portsmouth Direct there are 27 up and 28 down weekday services that are advertised as having "catering" which is trolley service only. In off peak these are on the 2per hour "fasts", if an average of 100 minutes for 74 m 30 ch could be described as fast, I refer to them as limited stop!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

380gk

Member
Joined
19 Oct 2014
Messages
141
Didnt Scotrail get into trouble a few years ago because up to 30% of (TE) trains were running without a TE on board?
Think that wasn't long after FG inherited the franchise.

Since then, the amount of TEs recruited has been quite something - with new depots during this franchise opened up at helensburgh, bathgate, edinburgh (I think that was opened during first times) and every other existing depot having an increase in numbers.

I live in Strathclyde and it is very rare to be on a train where you don't have a TE.
 

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2008
Messages
12,774
From Cambridge, with AGA, there's the slightly odd situation that an Ipswich train can be as little as a single carriage yet must have a driver and guard, whilst a London train can be 12 carriages yet run with only a driver.
 

cjmillsnun

Established Member
Joined
13 Feb 2011
Messages
3,275
Assuming you're counting the person who mans the trolley, in which case the Exeters only have them as far as Axminster. (Are they the only two SWT routes that have trolleys? They tend to be the only ones I catch, so I'd no idea I was so fortunate to be able to expend extortionate amounts of money on poor coffee!)

No the semi fasts on the Pompey direct have a trolley, as does the SWML. Having said that I never use them as there is a waitrose on my way to Petersfield station.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top