Islineclear3_1
Established Member
I fill up when I need to; usually once a week. Somewhere between 1/4 tank and when the fuel light comes on
I suppose a lot of the difference in what level you'll let the fuel get to is related to where the nearest petrol station is, I can see ours from outside our flat and walking it's about 7 mins away at most, I've certainly had to run over there to pay for fuel when my sisters card didn't work before and being so close meant it was not an issue.
My hybrid typically does around 50MPG around town and for mixed driving. Around 55 to 60MPG when cruising on motorways at between 60MPH and 70MPH. Similar or slightly better at 50MPH to 60MPH on good A roads.
I only normally use ‘B’ ‘gear’ when descending steep hills (not normally on gentle slopes though). With mine, lifting off the accelerator pedal results in the car using it’s regenerative braking to simulate the way that a ICE car slows if you lift off.Interesting. I wonder if I'm driving it right! Mine has a "B" function which maximises the charge by simulating "engine braking" and regenerating the power, which I use in town; I see no reason why I couldn't use it on the motorway other than the undesirable effect of slowing the car down when coasting, e.g. on a down hill section. I haven't noticed too much MPG difference between that and "D" in towns, although it has made me reassess how I drive - despite striving for efficiency I used to chuck my petrol car around; trying to avoid the engine starting has made me a lot more cautious, only a good thing I suppose!
I’m what way was petrol or diesel in short supply during the pandemic?
I never had any problems either with filling my own car or the company vehicles.
The 2021 United Kingdom fuel supply crisis was a period of a few weeks in which petrol stations in some parts of the UK ran out of fuel.
In September 2021, almost 21 years since the last fuel crisis, which took place in September 2000, panic buying of fuel was reported to be caused by media reports of a leaked government briefing discussing the shortage of heavy goods vehicle (HGV) drivers. Some analysts and politicians linked the driver shortage to Brexit, whilst others blamed the COVID-19 pandemic, or their combined impact. Although the UK did not have a shortage of fuel, the panic buying of fuel combined with supply chain issues caused by the media and the HGV driver shortage led to many petrol stations running out of fuel.
I remember that. My local petrol station was without petrol (E5 "super unleaded" and/or E10 "standard unleaded" ) some days and diesel other days. In fact because my Vectra cant use E10 I was finding that petrol stations that had petrol were not bothering with E5 !.I
it was very much a problem in Sept ‘21. It may not have been a problem where you are, but it was for much of the country.
![]()
2021 United Kingdom fuel supply crisis - Wikipedia
en.wikipedia.org
Ahh, that, no, where I am, there are plenty of fuel stations, and we are not too far away from a main distribution point. Hence why I never noticed any problems, and put the news reports down as just being ‘local’ issues.it was very much a problem in Sept ‘21. It may not have been a problem where you are, but it was for much of the country.
![]()
2021 United Kingdom fuel supply crisis - Wikipedia
en.wikipedia.org
Ahh, that, no, where I am, there are plenty of fuel stations, and we are not too far away from a main distribution point. Hence why I never noticed any problems, and put the news reports down as just being ‘local’ issues.
Yep. Croydon was bad. I just postponed all car use, luckily nothing essential. I do think a lot of it was panic buying as my local petrol station said they were cleaned out just after a larger than normal delivery.I have 3 petrol stations within walking distance, and am 5-6 miles from the main distribution depot, and there was none available for over a week, and intermittent supply for over a month.
I don't know exactly where you are, but I think at that time I lived within an hour of you and we had problems. Not as bad as some parts of the country had, but there were definite problems.Ahh, that, no, where I am, there are plenty of fuel stations, and we are not too far away from a main distribution point. Hence why I never noticed any problems, and put the news reports down as just being ‘local’ issues.
With elderly parents living over 200 miles away, for peace of mind I now keep enough in the tank to be able to complete the journey without needing to stop en route, just in case. The fuel crisis was a bit of a wake-up call coinciding with my dad having an emergency admission to hospital. In many ways it would be easier to hop on a train but sadly both reliability and pricing are not what they were pre-pandemic![]()
It’s not recommended to pee in the filler pipe!If I’m stopping at a petrol station to get a coffee or go for a pee I’ll fill up.
If you are always doing the same trips, you know your car well and you know the level of traffic then you know when you car needs a refill so can go very low to fumes. Otherwise at a quarter you start to look for stations. Of course that doesn't prepare you for unexpected trips needed but some drivers like to see how low they can go.I don't know exactly where you are, but I think at that time I lived within an hour of you and we had problems. Not as bad as some parts of the country had, but there were definite problems.
Back on the topic, a couple of days ago my car got down to an estimate of 25 miles remaining after having to do an unexpected journey and it was so nerve-wracking that I'll never do that again. I don't know how so many people on this thread can do it on a regular basis!
If you are always doing the same trips, you know your car well and you know the level of traffic then you know when you car needs a refill so can go very low to fumes.
There are plenty of Tesco petrol stations with pay at pump within easy reach of motorway junctions. For example, M4 J3, M25 J9 and M42 J4. Milton Keyes Kingston centre is convenient enough for the M1 as the route between J13 and J14 via Tesco is on fast roads. There is an Asda pay at pump next to M40 J4 and M6 J44. Around Manchester there are Tesco petrol stations next to the M60 at Stockport and Prestwich. So I just fill up when I approach a supermarket petrol station near the motorway when less than 50% full.