• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How are you going to deal with Climate Change?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cantab26

Established Member
Joined
9 Jun 2016
Messages
1,948
I intend to do absolutely nothing: if it’s as bad as the climate zealots make out then we’re screwed no matter what we do; if it isn’t then it doesn’t matter.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

najaB

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Aug 2011
Messages
33,738
Location
Scotland
As Climate Change has always happened and is driven by the Sun
Peer-reviewed papers to back that point up, please.
Al Gore said the American coast would be underwater in 20 years and then bought a house by the beach.
Quote please.
I intend to do absolutely nothing: if it’s as bad as the climate zealots make out then we’re screwed no matter what we do; if it isn’t then it doesn’t matter.
Actually, there is still a window of opportunity to limit the damage. Not a wide one, but it still exists. It does require change in this generation though.
 
Last edited:

birchesgreen

Established Member
Joined
18 Aug 2015
Messages
7,691
Location
Solihull
I suppose it could be seen a bit like what you would do after a nuclear attack. You could build a fallout shelter under the stairs but would you really want to survive?
 

najaB

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Aug 2011
Messages
33,738
Location
Scotland
That attitude is predicated on the idea that it's too late to do anything. We're probably about 10 to 20 years away from it being too late.

Of course, had we realised the problem 50 years ago it would've been much easier.
 

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Joined
14 Jan 2010
Messages
5,625
Personally? There isn't much I can do because to make a significant change would need entire industries to shift how they operate. A small number of people doing small bits isn't going to make a dent (its like the plastic straw stuff before COVID - getting rid of them literally makes no difference when 99% of goods delivered to stores, pubs and cafes etc come wrapped in tonnes of plastic wrap).
But the idea that climate change has nothing to do with man made pollution (as mentioned by some people in this thread) is just lunacy. Look at how much stuff we pump out into the atmosphere and there is no way that isn't having an impact.
 

BrokenSam

Member
Joined
18 May 2020
Messages
272
Location
North Wales
This is the correct attitude.
Not for our children

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

As Climate Change has always happened and is driven by the Sun I realise that there is very very little humanity can do and we should instead be putting our efforts into controlling pollution
I note the same organisations and people pushing Manmade Climate Change are the same who pushed the C19 "pandemic" and are also profiting from it
Scientists?
 

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Joined
1 Feb 2017
Messages
2,475
Location
Edinburgh
Not for our children
I agree on this.

I'm actually very hesitant about having children of my own due to the fact that they will most likely be experiencing the brunt of it. I do not want to bring them in to a world that gets hotter and continuously ravaged. No way.
 

najaB

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Aug 2011
Messages
33,738
Location
Scotland
Personally? There isn't much I can do because to make a significant change would need entire industries to shift how they operate. A small number of people doing small bits isn't going to make a dent
I agree that a small number of people doing small things won't make a difference. But a lot of people making small changes can.
 

nlogax

Established Member
Joined
29 May 2011
Messages
6,046
Location
Mostly Glasgow-ish. Mostly.
I'm actually very hesitant about having children of my own due to the fact that they will most likely be experiencing the brunt of it. I do not want to bring them in to a world that gets hotter and continuously ravaged. No way.

I made the decision not to become a father partially because I couldn't imagine bringing anyone up to deal with the mess that the planet is almost inevitably going to find itself in. Although it did help that I possess no paternal instincts whatsoever.
 

BrokenSam

Member
Joined
18 May 2020
Messages
272
Location
North Wales
I made the decision not to become a father partially because I couldn't imagine bringing anyone up to deal with the mess that the planet is almost inevitably going to find itself in. Although it did help that I possess no paternal instincts whatsoever.
I never really thought about it...until I had my daughter. Thats when I opened my eyes to it. Added to all the hate in the world today and I do sometimes feel guilty.
 

PeterY

Established Member
Joined
2 Apr 2013
Messages
1,363
I intend to do absolutely nothing: if it’s as bad as the climate zealots make out then we’re screwed no matter what we do; if it isn’t then it doesn’t matter.
I think we've gone too far to reverse climate change. I think most humans beings are selfish and will continue to destroy the planet. I won't be around when it happens.
That attitude is predicated on the idea that it's too late to do anything. We're probably about 10 to 20 years away from it being too late.

Of course, had we realised the problem 50 years ago it would've been much easier.
Sadly we live in a commercially driven world.
 

najaB

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Aug 2011
Messages
33,738
Location
Scotland
Sadly we live in a commercially driven world.
Indeed we do. Which is why governmental action is needed (and has been applied) to make the low-carbon choice the commercially sensible one. Once we get past the early-adopter stage it becomes self-sustaining.
 

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Joined
1 Feb 2017
Messages
2,475
Location
Edinburgh
I genuinely wonder how much of the emissions came from the UK Railway Network before we got EMU's, and services were provided by Diesel/Steam Locomotives which no doubt let out of a ton of pollution. Granted now there is probably still a decent amount emitting from the railways, but the electrification helped bolster things
 

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2014
Messages
2,254
Location
Grimsby
Peer-reviewed papers to back that point up, please.

Quote please.

Actually, there is still a window of opportunity to limit the damage. Not a wide one, but it still exists. It does require change in this generation though.

Most climate change throughout Earth's existence has been driven by The Sun, Solar Maximums and other solar weather events have been attributed to a great many climate change studies, there is dispute as to whether it has driven recent claims of warming, you will find peer reviewed papers both discounting and supporting the effects if you look.

Al Gore's statement is in "The Inconvenient Truth", had to watch it on my Open University course, he said it, you will find the the quote you quoted from "LOL The Irony" was the quote from Al Gore if you watch the boring film.

You never provided a peer-reviewed quote to your comment about there still being a window to limit the damage, you don't have to dis-trust others and demand they explain themselves, we all just repeat what we hear and are told by people we are expected to trust. None of us on here have actually measured the temperature over the course of several years, or marked the high tide marks. The truth is we don't know the truth, as most climate scientists would sabotage their career if they downplayed any risks of climate change, while various industries, media and governments have differing stances on the subject and they have the financial power to get anything published.
The people posting here aren't all liars making stuff up, they are repeating what they've heard that someone else made up. No one can possibly say how long a window is before we are all doomed, that alone suggests the science is incomplete or unreliable.
 

MotCO

Established Member
Joined
25 Aug 2014
Messages
6,146
Whatever we do in the UK will have minimal impact across the world, when China is reportedly opening two new coal-fired power stations a week, and India is still building them. Indeed, while the UK is busy closing coal-fired pwer stsations, Germany is still opening them.

I accept that we need to use resources carefully; but I am not convinced climate change is real. We have had periods of colder and warmer climates in previous eras, without there being any coal-fired power stations, or other man-made pollution. I believe it is just natural changes in the evolution of the universe.
 

najaB

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Aug 2011
Messages
33,738
Location
Scotland
Most climate change throughout Earth's existence has been driven by The Sun, Solar Maximums and other solar weather events have been attributed to a great many climate change studies, there is dispute as to whether it has driven recent claims of warming, you will find peer reviewed papers both discounting and supporting the effects if you look.
You're making the point, you need to provide the evidence to support it.
Al Gore's statement is in "The Inconvenient Truth", had to watch it on my Open University course, he said it
I don't recall him saying that the American coast would be underwater in 20 years and I've had a read through a transcript of the movie and must have missed it. Any chance of an actual verbatim quote?
You never provided a peer-reviewed quote to your comment about there still being a window to limit the damage
 
Last edited:

nlogax

Established Member
Joined
29 May 2011
Messages
6,046
Location
Mostly Glasgow-ish. Mostly.
I accept that we need to use resources carefully; but I am not convinced climate change is real.

There is zero doubt that climate change is real. Look at the correlation between atmospheric CO2 and global average temperature over the last half a million years, then look at our global climate patterns and you'd understand that.

Diverging opinions relate to whether the current and massive uptick in CO2 levels that are causing this round of climate change is down to the burning of hydrocarbons or some other factors. Science firmly points to industrialization as the root cause of this. Nothing else comes close.
 

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2014
Messages
2,254
Location
Grimsby
You're making the point, you need to provide the evidence to support it.
These are all recent articles on the site you use. It's so widespread it doesn't need a quote. It's has always been known that The Sun has an impact on climate.



 

MotCO

Established Member
Joined
25 Aug 2014
Messages
6,146
There is zero doubt that climate change is real. Look at the correlation between atmospheric CO2 and global average temperature over the last half a million years, then look at our global climate patterns and you'd understand that.

Diverging opinions relate to whether the current and massive uptick in CO2 levels that are causing this round of climate change is down to the burning of hydrocarbons or some other factors. Science firmly points to industrialization as the root cause of this. Nothing else comes close.

Ok, I should have said man-made climate change.

How much industralisation has there been over the last half a million years? The change is natural.
 

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
Joined
23 Aug 2020
Messages
1,565
Location
Leafy Suburbia
It is the economy, stupid. So many new products are being made to replace perfectly good working ones, which are then scrapped. Cars, for example, the new ones are bigger and heavier. Surely electric conversion kits could be made for existing vehicles!

Often enough too perfectly good trains are scrapped instead of being repaired.
 

philosopher

Established Member
Joined
23 Sep 2015
Messages
1,513
I think we've gone too far to reverse climate change. I think most humans beings are selfish and will continue to destroy the planet. I won't be around when it happens.

Sadly we live in a commercially driven world.
I think the best hope now for limiting global warming is if someone invents a cheap and very effective way of removing CO2 from the atmosphere.

There is always the geo engineering option such as injecting sulphur dioxide into the stratosphere to reduce the amount of solar energy reaching the earth’s surface, however this could be risky and probably is a last resort option.
 

nlogax

Established Member
Joined
29 May 2011
Messages
6,046
Location
Mostly Glasgow-ish. Mostly.
Ok, I should have said man-made climate change.

How much industralisation has there been over the last half a million years? The change is natural.

You've not taken into account industrial-scale deforestation massively reducing the amount of carbon sinks that existed in the pre-industrial world. See also polar waters which are warming and therefore can't absorb the same amount of CO2 as before. The only question is are we close to a tipping point or have we already passed it?
 

najaB

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Aug 2011
Messages
33,738
Location
Scotland
I think the best hope now for limiting global warming is if someone invents a cheap and very effective way of removing CO2 from the atmosphere.
It only needs to be one of the two: Cheap but not very effective? Make a lot of it. Effective but not cheap? Good, because we can't afford a lot of it. Of course, both would be better!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top