• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How are these station names pronounced?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined
9 Apr 2016
Messages
1,909
Many thanks for the information. I would never have guessed that those two stations are pronounced that way. We do seem to have quite a few stations in the UK with unusual pronunciations. Though it makes it more interesting i suppose.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Rikki Lamb

Member
Joined
24 Jan 2019
Messages
114
Am I right to say Forster is pronounced "Foster" and Harrogate "Harrigert". Forgive me if I'm wrong I'm from Warrington living in London.

Station announcement always say Foster but it should be Forster and as for Harrogate, it's usually pronounced 'arragat' but again announcements and 'posher' residents of Harrogate say Harrowgate
 

geoffk

On Moderation
Joined
4 Aug 2010
Messages
3,933
Location
Exeter
On-train and station announcements often get it wrong. I've heard Slaithwaite, Kirkby and Euxton (actually pronounced "Exton") all pronounced as spelt. On the Borders line in Scotland, Stow is pronounced to rhyme with Cow or Slough, not as in Stowmarket or Stow-on-the-Wold, and the train announcements I heard were wrong.
 

FS-2-11

Member
Joined
13 Nov 2015
Messages
54
The daddy of them all is Milngavie (pronounced Milgay if you are a local or Mulguy by the rest of Glasgow)

Little-known fact: it's derived from the old Gaelic name 'Mhealleach-an-agadh-bheidth', which translates literally as, 'Land of the Large German Cars' :D
 

scotrail158713

Established Member
Joined
30 Jan 2019
Messages
1,826
Location
Dundee
It’s not quite the same as the others that have been mentioned, but I’d always have pronounced Edinburgh as “Edin-bru”, until I heard a couple of people recently saying “Edin-bur-u”. Very much similar to Musselburgh.
 

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Sep 2016
Messages
18,337
Location
Glasgow
It’s not quite the same as the others that have been mentioned, but I’d always have pronounced Edinburgh as “Edin-bru”, until I heard a couple of people recently saying “Edin-bur-u”. Very much similar to Musselburgh.

Burghs in Scotland are correctly pronounced as Buh-ruh, hence:

Edin-buh-ruh
Mussel-buh-ruh
Fraser-buh-ruh

Those in England tend to be elided to bruh that I've heard, for example:

Peter-bruh (I admit I do sometimes say Peter-buh-ruh though ;))

This seems to carry over in the sense that most English people will call Edinburgh - Edin-bruh. It also seems to have spread to Scottish speakers, certainly I'd say more people from my age group say Edin-bruh than Edin-buh-ruh as I do.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top