• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How are these station names pronounced?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined
9 Apr 2016
Messages
1,909
Does anyone know what is the correct pronunciation of these two stations?

• Besses o' th' Barn (on the Manchester Metrolink network)

• Hall i' th' Wood (on the Northern Rail network)

Are they simply just pronounced as "Besses Of The Barn" and "Hall In The Wood" or is there another way they are pronounced?

Many thanks.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Elecman

Established Member
Joined
31 Dec 2013
Messages
3,583
Location
Lancashire
If you removed the punctuation mark of the O and I respectively then it’s Besses oth the barn and Hall ith Wood and pronounced as then written
 

johnnychips

Established Member
Joined
19 Nov 2011
Messages
3,826
Location
Leeds
On the Metro automatic announcement, the lady says ‘Besses o the Barn’.
 

jimm

Established Member
Joined
6 Apr 2012
Messages
5,280
Since when has Slaithwaite been in the Manchester area?

It is the far side of the Pennines and Standedge tunnel - there's another bit of local pronunciation to grapple with, Stannige - in Yorkshire.

For the fanciest local pronunciation of Slaithwaite, you just drop the middle 'i' - sounding is as Sla*thwaite, or the full-on dialect version is Slowit - with the 'ow' sounded as in cow. But never ever Slaythwayt.

*Sounds like the 'sla' of slat
 
Last edited:

Welshman

Established Member
Joined
11 Mar 2010
Messages
3,068
When I lived in Golcar [Goll-car/Gokka], many moons ago, the neighbouring settlement was "Slowit" to those born and bred there, "Slathwaite" to people like myself ["cummer-inners"], and "Slaythwayt" to the BBC. :smile:
 

keith1879

Member
Joined
1 Jun 2015
Messages
393
Depends how strong your Lancashire accent is. I can imagine locals saying Bessis u't' Barn and Awlithwud.
Having lived in Besses for a year in the 1970s I can confirm it's just said as it looks ..."Bessesothbarn". I'never heard anyone say "u't'barn" although I suppose it could happen.
 

Rikki Lamb

Member
Joined
24 Jan 2019
Messages
114
As a person who's lived in huddersfield most of her life it's definitely 'Slawit'

Frizinghall, Forster Square, Keighley and Harrogate often get mis-pronounced too
 

L&Y Robert

Member
Joined
22 Apr 2012
Messages
585
Location
Banbury 3m South
When I were but a lad, coming home to Tod., the train always stopped at Luddenden Foot, and the station staff bellowed "Fuit" in case we weren't sure where we were (pron. 'foo-it').
 

Welshman

Established Member
Joined
11 Mar 2010
Messages
3,068
When I were but a lad, coming home to Tod., the train always stopped at Luddenden Foot, and the station staff bellowed "Fuit" in case we weren't sure where we were (pron. 'foo-it').

Which got them neatly out of deciding whether it is LUDDEN-DEN [lud rhyming with "cud"], or LU-DENDEN[lu rhyming with "few"]
Being born in the area, I was brought up to say the former, but have sometimes heard the latter. :)

And how about the remaining stations either side:-
Mithem/Mythum-royd
Sore/Sower/ or Sour-by Bridge?
 
Last edited:

dazzler

Member
Joined
6 Apr 2018
Messages
260
Location
York
Which got them neatly out of deciding whether it is LUDDEN-DEN [lud rhyming with "cud"], or LU-DENDEN[lu rhyming with "few"]
Being born in the area, I was brought up to say the former, but have sometimes heard the latter. :)

I'd go with the former, but then I'm from the South side of Leeds/North side of Wakefield (Woodlesford to be exact) so what do I know? :D

And how about the remaining stations either side:-
Mithem/Mythum-royd

Mithem-royd for me! ;)

Sore/Sower/ or Sour-by Bridge?

Well, the local scout band competed as "Saar Brig Marching Brass" and I guess they'd know, being local and that! :lol::lol:
 

Matt_pool

Member
Joined
9 Nov 2016
Messages
371
I'm surprised how many times I've heard Mossley Hill pronounced incorrectly by conductors and other passengers.

It's pretty obvious that it's pronounced Mossley as in moss, the green plant. The double 's' gives it away. But some people pronounce it Moseley as in Moses, the bloke from the bible! I don't know how they have managed to turn a letter 's' into a letter 'e'!
 

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Sep 2016
Messages
18,337
Location
Glasgow
I'm surprised how many times I've heard Mossley Hill pronounced incorrectly by conductors and other passengers.

It's pretty obvious that it's pronounced Mossley as in moss, the green plant. The double 's' gives it away. But some people pronounce it Moseley as in Moses, the bloke from the bible! I don't know how they have managed to turn a letter 's' into a letter 'e'!

Perhaps some confusion with Mossley in Greater Manchester, which is pronounced Mozz-ley?
 

Mugby

Established Member
Joined
25 Nov 2012
Messages
2,138
Location
Derby
Apologies for wandering from the Op's question but am I correct in thinking South Kirkby (Junction) is pronounced South Kirby?
 

Chrisyd

Member
Joined
16 May 2015
Messages
210
Hall i' th' Wood is pronounced "Hal ith Wood" as in "Hal of the Wind".

As some one who was brought up in the area, until I was speaking to someone from Network Rail a few years ago I had never heard it said as "Hal", upon returning to the area I was surprised to hear an automated announcement pronounce it like this.

Hall i'th Wood is named after a hall where Samuel Crompton (he of the industrial revolution Spinning Mule fame) lived more details here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hall_i'_th'_Wood

In Bolton if they were likely to shorten the word Hall, I would expect the H to be dropped i.e. 'All i'th' Wood!!!!
 

TrainTube

Member
Joined
24 Sep 2018
Messages
487
As a person who's lived in huddersfield most of her life it's definitely 'Slawit'

Frizinghall, Forster Square, Keighley and Harrogate often get mis-pronounced too
Am I right to say Forster is pronounced "Foster" and Harrogate "Harrigert". Forgive me if I'm wrong I'm from Warrington living in London.
 

dazzler

Member
Joined
6 Apr 2018
Messages
260
Location
York
Am I right to say Forster is pronounced "Foster" and Harrogate "Harrigert". Forgive me if I'm wrong I'm from Warrington living in London.

Harrogate is more like "Arrerget" around here (York) unless you're taking the mick out of the (perceived) poshness of the residents (Harrogate is the poshest and most expensive/exclusive part of Yorkshire) when you pronounce it "Harrow-Gate" ;);)<D<(
 

trebor79

Established Member
Joined
8 Mar 2018
Messages
4,912
Wymondham in Norfolk is pronounced "Windham" or "Windum".
Nearby Costessy (not on rail network) is pronounced "Cossy".
 

geoffk

On Moderation
Joined
4 Aug 2010
Messages
3,933
Location
Exeter
All the Kirkbys drop the second "k" as far as I know, except Kirkby-in-Ashfield, where you pronounce it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top