thanks for the info I had an interview with Northern a few months ago as a fitter but thats as far as I got, apparantly alot of ex navy/army apply there and are practically guarantee'd the job which is a bit unfair but if thats who they think are the best then so be it.
The lady at DB schenker told me to keep checking TOC and FOC websites but I have no idea what they are?
You need to some serious research if you do not know what a TOC or FOC is, if you seriously want a job on the railway reseach as much as you can before applying, the working in the motor trade is a good quality for a drivers job by the way, if I was interviewing someone who in my opinion had to ask what a TOC was on a forum they would be unsuitable!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
thanks for the advice guys, i knew it wouldn't be a walk in the park and unfortunatly a mortgage and girlfriend stop me from relocating but won't give up as I really want a job I actually look forward to doing

will me doing the private driver assessment day make any difference to an employer?
It makes a difference as you will go straight to interview, but, as mentioned above seeing what you have written gives me doubt that you will attain a drivers job, you will need to make decisions for yourself and this will come out in interview, if you need to ask some questions on here that you could find out yourself. I am not saying you have no chance however sit down, write down all the things you want to know and see if you can find the answewrs yourself, get used to doing this as this is a major part of trian driving , decission making is very important.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I dont mind travelling but not sure if I could go as far as selling my house and moving south as it wouldn't be fair on the girlfriend plus she has a decent job herself so I doubt very much she would leave that.
so do freight drivers get better pay or is it an easier job? I could imagine it being more interesting instead of driving from station to station to station
An interviewer will know how much you want the job by your commitment, ok, not relocating is fine but do not apply for a job more than 1 hour from your home, freight drivers get about the same as passenger drivers as a whole, freight driving is more flexible than passenger work but very boring, sometimes you can sit there for 8 hours and not move a wheel both jobs have the same training and commitment
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
thanks for the info I had an interview with Northern a few months ago as a fitter but thats as far as I got, apparantly alot of ex navy/army apply there and are practically guarantee'd the job which is a bit unfair but if thats who they think are the best then so be it.
The lady at DB schenker told me to keep checking TOC and FOC websites but I have no idea what they are?
No one is guarenteed a job, it just happens that ex forces personel have a btter presentation in interview, discipline, personal fitness, able to follow instructions, been on lengthy courses, job stability all these are green lights for an interviewer, it's not because they are ex forces as anyone else with the same qualities will have a equal chance, don't listen to hearsay as this will put you on a downer!