• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hertford East blockade in October

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJS76

Member
Joined
15 Aug 2020
Messages
61
Location
London
I notice that there is an 8 day blockade between Broxbourne and Hertford East due to "demolition work" but couldn't find any further details. Does anyone know more about this?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hwl

Established Member
Joined
5 Feb 2012
Messages
8,289
I notice that there is an 8 day blockade between Broxbourne and Hertford East due to "demolition work" but couldn't find any further details. Does anyone know more about this?
Hertford East platform extension work finally starting? (needs old signal box removal)
 

Class 170101

On Moderation
Joined
1 Mar 2014
Messages
8,664
The box is to be dismantled and preserved elsewhere the article linked above says.
 

55002

Established Member
Joined
16 Aug 2019
Messages
5,400
Location
Ldn
Would they be doing the other stations en route also? Otherwise surely could terminate at Ware instead
 

DJS76

Member
Joined
15 Aug 2020
Messages
61
Location
London
Would they be doing the other stations en route also? Otherwise surely could terminate at Ware instead
That was my initial thought, makes me think perhaps there is something else being demolished. A road bridge somewhere?
 

55002

Established Member
Joined
16 Aug 2019
Messages
5,400
Location
Ldn
That was my initial thought, makes me think perhaps there is something else being demolished. A road bridge somewhere?
I live not far from that line can’t think of a bridge apart from the main road into Ware which is over the station and I guess preventing lengthening the platform at the eastern end of station. I’ll see if I can find out

edit. does seem its for signal box, but now want permission to work 24 hours a day. Still can’t see why trains can’t terminate at Ware. Surely they can turn off the juice just in Hertford area.

 
Last edited:

hwl

Established Member
Joined
5 Feb 2012
Messages
8,289
I live not far from that line can’t think of a bridge apart from the main road into Ware which is over the station and I guess preventing lengthening the platform at the eastern end of station. I’ll see if I can find out

edit. does seem its for signal box, but now want permission to work 24 hours a day. Still can’t see why trains can’t terminate at Ware. Surely they can turn off the juice just in Hertford area.

Moving one of the signals at Ware would also make sense?

Given the feed is at Rye House may be only the whole branch can be isolated in one section?
 

A0

On Moderation
Joined
19 Jan 2008
Messages
7,751
Would they be doing the other stations en route also? Otherwise surely could terminate at Ware instead

I wonder if the fact Ware is only a single platform station is the reason - so the decision has been made to prevent overcrowding ? It's also not great for a load of RRBs. Whereas Broxbourne has 4 platforms so is more spacious and has space for RRBs.
 

Astro_Orbiter

Member
Joined
8 Nov 2019
Messages
292
Location
UK
Ages ago, possibly 2 or more years ago when I heard about the hertford works, i'm sure i heard that Ware platform was going to be extended towards the aforementioned road overbridge, not under it but up to it. Still wouldn't be long enough for a 10 car 720 but would help I suppose. No idea if that plan still remains.
 

BS56

Member
Joined
6 Jan 2019
Messages
124
Why move a great Eastern signal box all the way up to Yorkshire? Surely one of the heritage lines in East Anglia could at least store it on their site until such time a decent place could be found for it?
 

A0

On Moderation
Joined
19 Jan 2008
Messages
7,751
Why move a great Eastern signal box all the way up to Yorkshire? Surely one of the heritage lines in East Anglia could at least store it on their site until such time a decent place could be found for it?

If one of the lines in East Anglia had been interested, I suspect it would have moved to them.

And as for "could at least store it on their site until such time a decent place could be found for it" - too many heritage lines resemble a cross between Steptoe's Yard and a scrap yard, which is deeply unattractive to the general public. Far better for something like this to go somewhere where it will be preserved and put to good use, rather than being abandoned in the corner of field until such time as it either requires a far more extensive restoration or is beyond saving.
 

DJS76

Member
Joined
15 Aug 2020
Messages
61
Location
London
I wonder if the fact Ware is only a single platform station is the reason - so the decision has been made to prevent overcrowding ? It's also not great for a load of RRBs. Whereas Broxbourne has 4 platforms so is more spacious and has space for RRBs.
Would there be a need for loads of RRBs if the line was just closed between Ware and Hertford? Not sure how many people commute from Hertford East but they do have North as an alternative. Whereas Ware, St Margaret's and Rye House don't have alternatives.
Also, terminating trains at Broxbourne means trains having to cross one of the through lines either on arrival or departure which could cause possible delays. Am sure there is a valid reason though.
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,985
Location
Airedale
If one of the lines in East Anglia had been interested, I suspect it would have moved to them.
I suspect there are more than enough redundant boxes in East Anglia enough to keep them happy already - but relatively few in the NE.
 

55002

Established Member
Joined
16 Aug 2019
Messages
5,400
Location
Ldn
Forgot about this thread, I called in at Ware station and the guy in booking office said they extending platforms on the line also..I asked how they doing that at Ware, with the bridge at one end and road crossing at the other, but he didn’t know
 

Aictos

Established Member
Joined
28 Apr 2009
Messages
10,403
Maybe they're using SDO at Ware for the 10 car trains to call there?
 

Shwam3

Member
Joined
13 Jun 2011
Messages
196
Location
Norwich
Ware's platform will be extended under the bridge, with the singe line section being extended slightly, however I don't believe this is happening in October.
 

BS56

Member
Joined
6 Jan 2019
Messages
124
Before they start work on extending the platforms the trailing and facing crossovers may need to be moved further out along with overhead catenary alterations so further blockade's will be required.
 

47421

Member
Joined
7 Feb 2012
Messages
686
Location
london
just re-upping this one. anyone know what work will be done next week, and when all the work needed for 10car 720s to go to Hert East will be completed?
 

TheHSRailFan

Member
Joined
16 Jun 2018
Messages
299
just re-upping this one. anyone know what work will be done next week, and when all the work needed for 10car 720s to go to Hert East will be completed?
if I recall, this is the one getting rid of the signal box but the platform extensions will happen later

I saw this Monday night confirming the second half.
PXL_20211018_180327229.jpg
 

BS56

Member
Joined
6 Jan 2019
Messages
124
It will be interesting to see how they do this . Access to the site is a bit restricted there are trees and undergrowth behind the box that my need to be cleared first so that a lorry mounted crane can get near enough to lift the lever frame out along with the heavy timbers on to a flat back lorry or may be an artic but the road behind the box is fairly wide. On the other side the road and streets are narrow and lifting stuff over the overhead wires would require a big crane . I live about 7 miles away so I will be there watching it all as it happens I hope.
 

TheHSRailFan

Member
Joined
16 Jun 2018
Messages
299
It will be interesting to see how they do this . Access to the site is a bit restricted there are trees and undergrowth behind the box that my need to be cleared first so that a lorry mounted crane can get near enough to lift the lever frame out along with the heavy timbers on to a flat back lorry or may be an artic but the road behind the box is fairly wide. On the other side the road and streets are narrow and lifting stuff over the overhead wires would require a big crane . I live about 7 miles away so I will be there watching it all as it happens I hope.
I live nearby as well,
There's the gate between Claud Hamilton Way and the station/'The Right Track Pre-School'. It does lead to the abandoned sidings, but since they don't have any use for it anymore, I guess they will lift those tracks.
 

BS56

Member
Joined
6 Jan 2019
Messages
124
Work started yesterday . I went there today and work is well under way. I got talking to the workmen It seems I was wrong about the way it will be dismantled in fact there will be no cranes because it will be dismantled bit by bit each part will be colour coded and numbered including the lever frame .
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top