Trainer1234567
Member
Hi all,
I’m seeking a bit of advice. As attached below, I recently received the following letter from Southeastern regarding a “short ticket” that I was caught from at London Bridge. For context, it was the final day of my internship in London, and I stupidly decided to try and purchase a short ticket as the barriers were open where I boarded the train (Oxted). I was shortly caught, and during a panic with the inspector, I tried to claim that I had indeed come from Waterloo and when asked about my purchasing history, I said I hadn’t done this before (unsuccessfully of course!). Following a brief chat, where I explained my attempt to just save some money as it was my final couple of days on my intern and was running short on cash, the inspector, who was super understanding, took notes and explained that I will receive a letter shortly, but did reassure me that these sorts of things happen and it’s unlikely to end up in court.
As attached, I have received the letter and drafted a short response on the back along with the help of my family. Since I’ve sent the letter, I’ve now discovered this forum, and was hoping to find some further help during this case. Now of course my primary concern is that upon their inspection of my purchasing history, they will see that I have over the past couple of years purchased short-tickets. I have gone through my purchase history and put together a spreadsheet, outlining the route that I purchased, the route I actually took, and the cost I paid in comparison to the advanced fare single (this totals x25 times and around £450 - which I am happy to pay to achieve a settlement).
My main goal is to be totally compliant and helpful throughout the process, as it has been given me restless nights and is petrifying me at the idea of a criminal record, which would destroy my hopes at qualifying into my dream career post university.
Since I returned the letter, I sent an email to the southeastern prosecution team, merely restating my sorrows, but outlining to them that I hope to be fully complaint during their investigation to achieve a settlement. In doing so, I have elucidated to them that within my purchasing history, over the past couple of years I have indeed made the occasional “short fare”, underlying typically this would be from St Pancras to Farringdon, when in reality it was to Oxted. This email was responded to with a thank you for my cooperation and that the case is now under review.
So my question here is, now I have calculated the extent to my fair dodging, and am absolutely happy to repay this sum along with any admin costs, can anyone advise whether I should send through this spreadsheet and just come clean to them to save them the hassle of reviewing it themselves, to prove my intent to cooperate, or would I be best served waiting for the next letter. My concern is that they will respond with a court summons which may have been avoided had I sent the spreadsheet and really aided their investigation.
Finally, during my spreadsheet, the fares of which I have in the past purchased “short tickets” for are not all for journeys that are controlled by SouthEastern, for example St Pancras / Kings Cross - Farringdon, and one time I short fared a trip from Kings Cross - Leeds (all of which are included in my spreadsheet). Now if I send this information to southeastern, would it be likely that I could pay the fares for these journeys directly to them, or could this possibly tie me up into a potential prosecution with Thameslink and any other relevant providers?
I know that’s a lot to digest - but any help would be super useful! As I’m sure I’ve made clear, during my years as a student (which is no excuse), I have idiotically tried to cut some costs by short faring tickets here and there. Since, I have ensured to purchase the correct fares and will definitely never be doing this again!
Many thanks all.
I’m seeking a bit of advice. As attached below, I recently received the following letter from Southeastern regarding a “short ticket” that I was caught from at London Bridge. For context, it was the final day of my internship in London, and I stupidly decided to try and purchase a short ticket as the barriers were open where I boarded the train (Oxted). I was shortly caught, and during a panic with the inspector, I tried to claim that I had indeed come from Waterloo and when asked about my purchasing history, I said I hadn’t done this before (unsuccessfully of course!). Following a brief chat, where I explained my attempt to just save some money as it was my final couple of days on my intern and was running short on cash, the inspector, who was super understanding, took notes and explained that I will receive a letter shortly, but did reassure me that these sorts of things happen and it’s unlikely to end up in court.
As attached, I have received the letter and drafted a short response on the back along with the help of my family. Since I’ve sent the letter, I’ve now discovered this forum, and was hoping to find some further help during this case. Now of course my primary concern is that upon their inspection of my purchasing history, they will see that I have over the past couple of years purchased short-tickets. I have gone through my purchase history and put together a spreadsheet, outlining the route that I purchased, the route I actually took, and the cost I paid in comparison to the advanced fare single (this totals x25 times and around £450 - which I am happy to pay to achieve a settlement).
My main goal is to be totally compliant and helpful throughout the process, as it has been given me restless nights and is petrifying me at the idea of a criminal record, which would destroy my hopes at qualifying into my dream career post university.
Since I returned the letter, I sent an email to the southeastern prosecution team, merely restating my sorrows, but outlining to them that I hope to be fully complaint during their investigation to achieve a settlement. In doing so, I have elucidated to them that within my purchasing history, over the past couple of years I have indeed made the occasional “short fare”, underlying typically this would be from St Pancras to Farringdon, when in reality it was to Oxted. This email was responded to with a thank you for my cooperation and that the case is now under review.
So my question here is, now I have calculated the extent to my fair dodging, and am absolutely happy to repay this sum along with any admin costs, can anyone advise whether I should send through this spreadsheet and just come clean to them to save them the hassle of reviewing it themselves, to prove my intent to cooperate, or would I be best served waiting for the next letter. My concern is that they will respond with a court summons which may have been avoided had I sent the spreadsheet and really aided their investigation.
Finally, during my spreadsheet, the fares of which I have in the past purchased “short tickets” for are not all for journeys that are controlled by SouthEastern, for example St Pancras / Kings Cross - Farringdon, and one time I short fared a trip from Kings Cross - Leeds (all of which are included in my spreadsheet). Now if I send this information to southeastern, would it be likely that I could pay the fares for these journeys directly to them, or could this possibly tie me up into a potential prosecution with Thameslink and any other relevant providers?
I know that’s a lot to digest - but any help would be super useful! As I’m sure I’ve made clear, during my years as a student (which is no excuse), I have idiotically tried to cut some costs by short faring tickets here and there. Since, I have ensured to purchase the correct fares and will definitely never be doing this again!
Many thanks all.