Last night I was trying to return from Heathrow airport. Usually I use the "Rail Air" coach from Heathrow Central Bus station to Woking (though it seems to be National Express rather than RailAir these days).
However the first coach was advertised as late (but never arrived) and the second did arrive (late) but then didn't return to Woking as the driver would then be over his hours (I was told the M25 was closed, which was why many of the coaches were disrupted) and they couldn't find another driver.
So having given up on National Express/RailAir I decided the best bet was to go to London, then across to Waterloo. Not wanting to use the Heathrow Express (too expensive) I decided it was a choice of the Picadilly line or Heathrow Connect (which I see is now TFL rail, but anyway), so I'd go to the station first to see when the next TFL Rail train was due.
I hadn't realised quite how far the rail station is from the tube and bus station along a very long corridor (with two traveloators). However having reached the ticket hall I was surprised to find that there wasn't a ticket office, but more surprising there wasn't even a departure board, so I couldn't see when the next train was due. So I asked a member of staff who told me it was in about 7 minutes.
So then I tried to buy a ticket. There was no ticket office and the staff around were only selling Heathrow Express, so I opted to use the machine. However on selecting Woking as the destination, it told me there were no fares available. I tried another machine, in case it was a machine fault, with the same result. So I ended up buying a ticket to London Paddington.
Just as I had entered my PIN, the same member of staff came over and told me they had made a mistake, the next train was only 2 minutes away. I rushed down the escalators (there are 3, the last of which was broken). On reaching the platform I was then stopped by a member of staff who told me "that isn't the right train, that's the stopping train". I told him that was the one I wanted and he let me passed, but the train was stopped right at the far end of the platform and I couldn't get there before it left. (to be fair, I'd have missed it anyway even if he hadn't stopped me, but still).
As the next train was half an hour away I asked the same member of staff (that stopped me), if I could now get a refund on my ticket since I was now facing a 30 minute wait and so it would be quicker to take the Picadilly line. He told me that wasn't possible at the station I'd have to send the ticket to TFL, along with an explanation of why I wanted a refund. He told me that if I told them I had been given incorrect information before buying the ticket (as I had been) there would be no problem (we shall see).
So heading back up to the ticket hall having decided not to travel by train I tried to use my ticket to get out the ticket barrier. Of course it didn't work because it was a single *from* Heathrow not too. I tried to show my ticket to a member of staff and asked to be let out, but she insisted I put it through the barrier again and show her it didn't work, before she would let me out!
I did eventually get to Waterloo where of course I found SWR were having one of their all too frequent service meltdowns, but that is another issue.
So this left me wondering a few things.
I only hope this improves with Crossrail and we can have a single Travelcard valid on the rail or tube services, but I'm not sure if it will. I do find it embarssing to try to explain this to people just arrived in the country that there are 3 options for travel by rail, all at different prices and all not accepting each others tickets. Of course the airport wants to make it look like the only option is their very expensive HEX, which I guess is my answer as to why, but it is sad.
However the first coach was advertised as late (but never arrived) and the second did arrive (late) but then didn't return to Woking as the driver would then be over his hours (I was told the M25 was closed, which was why many of the coaches were disrupted) and they couldn't find another driver.
So having given up on National Express/RailAir I decided the best bet was to go to London, then across to Waterloo. Not wanting to use the Heathrow Express (too expensive) I decided it was a choice of the Picadilly line or Heathrow Connect (which I see is now TFL rail, but anyway), so I'd go to the station first to see when the next TFL Rail train was due.
I hadn't realised quite how far the rail station is from the tube and bus station along a very long corridor (with two traveloators). However having reached the ticket hall I was surprised to find that there wasn't a ticket office, but more surprising there wasn't even a departure board, so I couldn't see when the next train was due. So I asked a member of staff who told me it was in about 7 minutes.
So then I tried to buy a ticket. There was no ticket office and the staff around were only selling Heathrow Express, so I opted to use the machine. However on selecting Woking as the destination, it told me there were no fares available. I tried another machine, in case it was a machine fault, with the same result. So I ended up buying a ticket to London Paddington.
Just as I had entered my PIN, the same member of staff came over and told me they had made a mistake, the next train was only 2 minutes away. I rushed down the escalators (there are 3, the last of which was broken). On reaching the platform I was then stopped by a member of staff who told me "that isn't the right train, that's the stopping train". I told him that was the one I wanted and he let me passed, but the train was stopped right at the far end of the platform and I couldn't get there before it left. (to be fair, I'd have missed it anyway even if he hadn't stopped me, but still).
As the next train was half an hour away I asked the same member of staff (that stopped me), if I could now get a refund on my ticket since I was now facing a 30 minute wait and so it would be quicker to take the Picadilly line. He told me that wasn't possible at the station I'd have to send the ticket to TFL, along with an explanation of why I wanted a refund. He told me that if I told them I had been given incorrect information before buying the ticket (as I had been) there would be no problem (we shall see).
So heading back up to the ticket hall having decided not to travel by train I tried to use my ticket to get out the ticket barrier. Of course it didn't work because it was a single *from* Heathrow not too. I tried to show my ticket to a member of staff and asked to be let out, but she insisted I put it through the barrier again and show her it didn't work, before she would let me out!
I did eventually get to Waterloo where of course I found SWR were having one of their all too frequent service meltdowns, but that is another issue.
So this left me wondering a few things.
- I always thought National Rail stations (of which this is one) were obliged to offer tickets to all destinations. But it seemed the ticket machines and staff would only sell tickets to London. Is that permitted? Or should I report it?
- Is it correct passengers are expected to buy tickets first before they can find out when the next train is (since the only information screens seem be at platform level)? I've never before come across a station where there are ticket barriers and no displays before the barriers.
- Why do the TFL rail trains stop at the far end of the platform (leaving the part by the entrance to the station empty), whilst the Heathrow Express stops so the carriages are alongside the entrance? I am wondering if it is yet another attempt to "encourage" the use of the expensive HEX service over the TFL rail.
- I always thought you were entitled to a refund if you decided not to travel, the ticket was entirely unused and you returned it to the same office you bought it from (apart from Advance fares), but the staff disputed this. Where they correct?
- Why do they seemingly employ staff who assume no one would want to catch the TFL Rail trains and try to stop you boarding them?
I only hope this improves with Crossrail and we can have a single Travelcard valid on the rail or tube services, but I'm not sure if it will. I do find it embarssing to try to explain this to people just arrived in the country that there are 3 options for travel by rail, all at different prices and all not accepting each others tickets. Of course the airport wants to make it look like the only option is their very expensive HEX, which I guess is my answer as to why, but it is sad.