• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Has anyone visited every station in the UK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gathursty

Established Member
Joined
31 May 2011
Messages
2,651
Location
Wigan
I'll give stipulations first to be clear.
None wholly on heritage lines.
None in Northern Ireland.
'visit' means you go to the station. Calling at it or going straight through it on a train doesn't count.
If you're a conductor, train driver or guard, then you likely do this for a living so you can't say yes to this question, if that makes sense.
At the time of posting this, the station has to exist, so I'll tentatively include places like Norton Bridge as well.

I'm thinking about trying this but it would take quite a lot of time. :lol:
Any ideas how much of an effort it would be, how long it would take?
I'm sure there's a few people on here who have visited far more than I have (52). Let me know, post below.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HST Power

Established Member
Joined
25 Nov 2010
Messages
3,704
I know of a few people who are on the verge of completing everywhere in England, Scotland and Wales. See the Route Coverage Thread for detailed maps.
 

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,856
You have to go to the station and actually be on it for a period of time though.
 

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,856
I would asssume the time taken to change train etc, just so long as you've been there and walked about...
 

WatcherZero

Established Member
Joined
25 Feb 2010
Messages
10,272
Easy at some stations, at others you may be waiting a while for the next service :P
 

GospelOak117

Member
Joined
3 May 2009
Messages
215
Location
Eastern Region
The minimum time being?

Not stepping off a train that has called there and stepping back on as it gets ready to depart I'd guess.......unless of course it is a train that has a long call at that station to give time for a 'stretch', i.e a stopper spending time to wait for the fast service to call and clear?
 

Track Basher

Member
Joined
27 Nov 2010
Messages
238
Location
Highlands of Scotland
I have been through every station which does not exactly count. Not quite travelled over every line with a passenger service. Still a few miles to do.

I have also been through every station in Ireland as well except the new lines to Docklands and Yougal.



 

MadCommuter

Member
Joined
4 Oct 2010
Messages
736
Not stepping off a train that has called there and stepping back on as it gets ready to depart I'd guess.......unless of course it is a train that has a long call at that station to give time for a 'stretch', i.e a stopper spending time to wait for the fast service to call and clear?

How about stipulating you must depart the station on a different service to what you arrived on. The Far North line would take some doing, perhaps with a tent?


 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,469
Stockport - Stalybridge would take a few weeks to clear.
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,469
I've been to Denton station on the bus, does that not count? :p:shock:

According to the rules, you will probably have to get there by bus or leave by bus, otherwise it's a heck of a wait. :D
 

HST Power

Established Member
Joined
25 Nov 2010
Messages
3,704
I have been through every station which does not exactly count. Not quite travelled over every line with a passenger service. Still a few miles to do.

I have also been through every station in Ireland as well except the new lines to Docklands and Yougal.

That's quite an achievement! I wonder what the records are for visiting stations.
 

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2005
Messages
3,087
Location
Trowbridge
I am on a mission to do all or nearly all, currently at around 1,000 now, I can get an exact number if anyone wants to know. I mark this off in the atlas and on a spreadsheet. It includes every station that exists, NR, Tube, Tram, Pres and a bit of IE.

I count a station by being on it but not necessarily by train. I done all the Oxford to Worcester shacks by riding by 125cc scooter from Melksham to Melksham via a long loop down the line. It might count as easy to some but I was at the station and that's what counts. It was still a mission as you still have to get there first, but I enjoyed it a lot as I got to go down the country roads, see the scenery and see the towns too.

If going by train, I only count a station if I get off and wait for another train, if the train changes destination and headcode, or if I am there for a fair length of time (like getting off at Georgmas Junction).
I don't have any transport anymore but I will wait until I do before doing the Wick/Kyle lines, otherwise it would just cost a lot and would need all my 25 days annual leave to do it!!

I also count stations for passing (bar terminals) and that can only by done if the coach I am in passes the station vicinity altogether. This wouldn't count if a station is on one side of the track and I am on the other (like Ulceby). This number is near 1,000 IIRC but can give a number if anyone is interested?


LU is the easiest for scooping stations in. I do this by going up 2 stops, going back 1, going back up 2 stops, back 1 stop etc (on sections where they are all required) so that way I don't go back to a dud station or so I don't look like a plank waiting on the same platform.
Sometimes I end up at a dud station or have to wait on the same platform at 1 station if the stations required are odd numbers.


Cheers,

James.
 

LemonGrove

Member
Joined
16 Mar 2011
Messages
22
Location
London
It might be very difficult to visit every station. Tees-side Airport for example has two services a week!
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,128
Location
Redcar
NRE can say what they like but everyone in Tessside spells it like that even Northern Rail:

220px-TeesValleyLine_Tees-side_Airport3.JPG


;)
 

Gathursty

Established Member
Joined
31 May 2011
Messages
2,651
Location
Wigan
Then you won't have visited every station in the UK.

Aha, thanks for that. I knew there was something obvious in my stipulations I forgot. I mean Great Britain because to include NI would be even more effort on top of what I plan to do.

A few people have said about travelling to the place by train. That is fair enough, so long as you get off there and leave the building or you're waiting for another service there, like a bus, taxi, train (can be the same train you left provided you get out for a bit when they change over the service) etc...

So far I've took a picture of a place I've been to so I don't forget or go and do the same station twice.

Next on my list are Lancaster, Wennington, Bentham and Carnforth, which should take me to 56, when I get round to it.
 

premier01

Member
Joined
17 Aug 2009
Messages
459
I am on a mission to do all or nearly all, currently at around 1,000 now, I can get an exact number if anyone wants to know. I mark this off in the atlas and on a spreadsheet. It includes every station that exists, NR, Tube, Tram, Pres and a bit of IE.

I count a station by being on it but not necessarily by train. I done all the Oxford to Worcester shacks by riding by 125cc scooter from Melksham to Melksham via a long loop down the line. It might count as easy to some but I was at the station and that's what counts. It was still a mission as you still have to get there first, but I enjoyed it a lot as I got to go down the country roads, see the scenery and see the towns too.

If going by train, I only count a station if I get off and wait for another train, if the train changes destination and headcode, or if I am there for a fair length of time (like getting off at Georgmas Junction).
I don't have any transport anymore but I will wait until I do before doing the Wick/Kyle lines, otherwise it would just cost a lot and would need all my 25 days annual leave to do it!!

I also count stations for passing (bar terminals) and that can only by done if the coach I am in passes the station vicinity altogether. This wouldn't count if a station is on one side of the track and I am on the other (like Ulceby). This number is near 1,000 IIRC but can give a number if anyone is interested?


LU is the easiest for scooping stations in. I do this by going up 2 stops, going back 1, going back up 2 stops, back 1 stop etc (on sections where they are all required) so that way I don't go back to a dud station or so I don't look like a plank waiting on the same platform.
Sometimes I end up at a dud station or have to wait on the same platform at 1 station if the stations required are odd numbers.


Cheers,

James.

What is Pres then

 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top