Barnwood Junction is the Cheltenham side of the Gloucester triangle, while Abbotswood Junction is where the line to Worcester leaves the "Cross Country Main Line" (for want of a better description) between Ashchurch and Bromsgrove. Foxhall Junction is the south end of the Didcot west curve.
In other words, D1009 is making the point that any engineering works shutting the line between Cheltenham and Worcester/Bromsgrove requires a very lengthy diversion via Oxford and Swindon. For longer-distance traffic (especially CrossCountry trains between Manchester and Bristol), I suppose that a diversion via Hereford (using the Maindee East curve to avoid reversal in Newport) would be theoretically possible, though CrossCountry don't sign that route. (In contrast, some Bristol XC drivers do sign the GWML between Bristol and Didcot.)
You probably can gather that I found an Abbotswood just south of Yate. Thanks for that clarification. Yes I had, in my original comment, assumed XC services going via Maindee and missing out Cheltenham. It would be doubtful if blockages would need to be so long as an entire stretch between large centres at any one time. Good point about signing routes. A feature of the TOC situation I suppose. In the old days, my family relations who drove the steam engines, signed for I don't know how many routes. I suppose one could arrange for knowledge-building in advance of a really big project.