• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Guardian article: Passenger failed to show railcard, opinons?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AM9

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2014
Messages
16,063
Location
St Albans
I use my Network Railcard about a dozen times a year at most, so don't see any point having it in my wallet all the time (especially as they never gave me a plastic holder for it for the last 2 years and the old one has disintegrated...) . Mine goes in my wallet, but if my girlfriend is using hers, she just chucks it into the handbag as the purse is full..

I suppose carrying something as heavy as a normal rail ticket is a major challenge for your wallet. ;)
Oh well, if you forget it when travelling, your wallet will have even less to hold if you are caught travelling without it.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rs101

Member
Joined
13 Aug 2013
Messages
358
I suppose carrying something as heavy as a normal rail ticket is a major challenge for your wallet. ;)
Oh well, if you forget it when travelling, your wallet will have even less to hold if you are caught travelling without it.

Funnily enough, I tend not to want to carry around items every day if I'm only going to use them about once a month at most. Don't see the point taking something which I could lose and not easily replace free of charge when I don't need it.
 

BestWestern

Established Member
Joined
6 Feb 2011
Messages
6,736
Hopefully, when railcards and tickets both become fully electronic the problem
will diminish. That is, when you buy the ticket you will have the railcard discount applied on providing proof that you're entitled to it, and that will be the end of it.

Well, not really...

How does that system provide evidence that person using the ticket is the person who bought the Railcard?
 

jfollows

Established Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
10,171
Location
Wilmslow
Today's Guardian reports that Virgin has issued a full refund.
 

Attachments

  • Guardian 26 November 2016.png
    Guardian 26 November 2016.png
    154.4 KB · Views: 81

rs101

Member
Joined
13 Aug 2013
Messages
358
Today's Guardian reports that Virgin has issued a full refund.

Seems like an outbreak of common sense has occurred. Especially good news about the potential one strike policy.

They need to be careful or they could be accused of actually trying to provide decent customer service..
 

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,844
But Disabled Person's Cards do not require you to provide a photograph.
Perhaps they should - along with all other railcards. By implication, the current situation is that only holders of 16-25 Railcards can't be trusted not to share the railcard around.
 

najaB

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Aug 2011
Messages
33,734
Location
Scotland
By implication, the current situation is that only holders of 16-25 Railcards can't be trusted not to share the railcard around.
And the two-together card, if memory serves correct. I certainly had to provide photos when I got mine.
 

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Joined
26 Nov 2009
Messages
13,774
Location
Yorkshire
And the two-together card, if memory serves correct. I certainly had to provide photos when I got mine.

Yes. My TT railcard has a picture of me and my wife on it, whilst the Family Railcard I share with a woman who is not my wife has 2 names but no photos on.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top