cornsudahpunah
Member
Dear Forum Members,
I was issued a Witness Statement Receipt recently after a rail inspector caught me travelling with the wrong tickets for my journey.
I was hoping some advice on how I can ensure this is settled out of court per settlement fee?
Additionally, they have recorded my first name with one letter missing. Should I proactively mail a letter to GTR Prosecutions Department and attempt to correct the error and pay a settlement fee?
Facts of the Offence:
When asked by the inspectors, I provided the following information in panic:
Name Problem:
Speaking honestly, I have done this regularly:
I am hoping that I might not be found in the system, but I imagine this is impossible given that they have a picture of the tickets I own.
Does the kind experts in the forum have any advice?
Thank you in advance for your time and assistance.
I was issued a Witness Statement Receipt recently after a rail inspector caught me travelling with the wrong tickets for my journey.
I was hoping some advice on how I can ensure this is settled out of court per settlement fee?
Additionally, they have recorded my first name with one letter missing. Should I proactively mail a letter to GTR Prosecutions Department and attempt to correct the error and pay a settlement fee?
Facts of the Offence:
- Travelled from Whitechapel to Farringdon on the TFL/Tube
- Then travelled from Farringdon to Welwyn Garden City (WWGC)
- Only purchased an Anytime Day Return tickets from St Pancras ("London Terminals") to WWGC instead, using a valid 16-25 railcard
- Purchased the tickets after I boarded the train, a few minutes before ticket inspections at WWGC exit;
- The inspectors noticed the timing, and thus pulled me aside for questioning
When asked by the inspectors, I provided the following information in panic:
- Provided my real name, address, birthdate, etc. on a notepad that the inspector has
- Provided full journey details - using Tube to enter the network, and exchanging to Thameslink while only buying the tickets later
- Foolishly, admitted that I usually travelled from Farringdon but only bought tickets for St Pancras due to fear of being overcharged via Trainline;
- Admitted no intention when asked on their tablets
- This led to me being issued an MG11 rather than a penalty fare
Name Problem:
- The inspectors were not able to find my name on the system as I am not registered on the roll for the address;
- The inspectors entered my first name to the tablet with one missing letter, which I only noticed after I now checked the witness statement receipt
Speaking honestly, I have done this regularly:
- 40-50 journeys in total - worth around £800-900 in total
- I thought that I will be charged extra if buying from Farringdon, as it includes the Farringdon tube station too (i.e. my return ticket will be for returning to Tube rather than the train station)
- I usually purchased the tickets once I get to St Pancras, so my error has never been caught before, and I have no history of fare dodging
I am hoping that I might not be found in the system, but I imagine this is impossible given that they have a picture of the tickets I own.
Does the kind experts in the forum have any advice?
Thank you in advance for your time and assistance.