![]()
Warnings of major rail disruption in south-east until end of day after train derails
One commuter said "it was carnage" as she was caught up in the travel disruption at East Croydon this morning.www.bbc.co.uk
Train operators Southern, Thameslink and Gatwick Express are warning of major disruption until the end of the day due to "multiple incidents"
These include a train derailment inside a depot in Selhurst in south-east London and a signalling fault between London Blackfriars and Norwood Junction
National Rail says "do not travel where possible on Thameslink services, and some Southern services this morning"
Almost all but the Suttons on the MML are gone, and Cambridge has lost 2tph. The lack of recovery never ceases to amaze...Services on the Cambridge-Brighton, Bedford-Three Bridges and London Bridge-Orpington routes are suspended
There was also some sort of signalling or track circuit problem. Some trains ran as booked through Sydenham, whilst others diverted via Selhurst and Herne Hill. The only line blocked appears to be the up slow between Windmill Bridge jn and Norwood Junction. That ought to have little impact on Thameslink. Certainly shouldn't affect Luton to Rainham.Almost all but the Suttons on the MML are gone, and Cambridge has lost 2tph. The lack of recovery never ceases to amaze...
Too many TOCs seem to treat their webpages as the last place to give updates on severe disruption, and even when they do, it is often buried within a Disruptions webpage rather than being immediately visible on the home page.What was irritating this morning was that Southern's website said nothing. It was only when I had driven to the station that I saw the derailment info on the platform displays. By which time I'd wasted 20 minutes that I could have already started on what was a 1hr 40m drive to the office.
To make matters worse, GTR favours a strange and vague "Due to incidents taking place on multiple places on our network....." disruption message. Note that there are some routes that were not affected by the Selhurst derailment today. It's more helpful for them to say what, where etc in my opinion. But, no, the passenger must do further detailed investigations to find out if an incident at a will affect their journey between b and c,Too many TOCs seem to treat their webpages as the last place to give updates on severe disruption, and even when they do, it is often buried within a Disruptions webpage rather than being immediately visible on the home page.
Almost all but the Suttons on the MML are gone, and Cambridge has lost 2tph. The lack of recovery never ceases to amaze...
I tried using the journey planner at 13:30 to find a train from St Pancras to Earlswood. The first option was around 15:30. All the Bedford to Three Bridges trains were cancelled. Supposedly the Peterborough to Horsham trains were stopping at Earlswood and Salfords but that was not reflected on journey planners or station info screens. When I boarded a train at 13:45, there was absolutely nothing to tell me that it would stop at Earlswood. That was first mentioned at East Croydon, at 14:25.To make matters worse, GTR favours a strange and vague "Due to incidents taking place on multiple places on our network....." disruption message. Note that there are some routes that were not affected by the Selhurst derailment today. It's more helpful for them to say what, where etc in my opinion. But, no, the passenger must do further detailed investigations to find out if an incident at a will affect their journey between b and c,
Luton - Rainham has defaulted to a shuttle in deepest Kent !
Just saw what I’m guessing is this video uploaded onto YouTube but very low quality (weirdly also with the Thomas The Tank Engine theme song playing over it). That looked bad. I have been busy all day though, I thought it was one train that derailed, not a collision. Or has there been 2 derailments today?I have seen a video of a front view camera on the derailed train coming off the points while also hitting another train also diverging from the depot which thankfully didn’t derail. Not sure if I should share here now but it is jaw-dropping.
The video in question first had a shunting signal set to clear to next block and then a second one near the red aspect for the diverging train on the left so it’s likely a case where the driver misinterpreted this signal as their own, resulting in the SPAD and derailment.One unit SPAD signal T10 on the Norwood Fork Arrival, derailed on the catch points and in the process collided with the side of another coming out of the departure road / depot.
There were posts on se-gen yesterday suggesting that the other train in the collision was allowed straight back out into service afterwards; isn't that a bit unusual?One unit SPAD signal T10 on the Norwood Fork Arrival, derailed on the catch points and in the process collided with the side of another coming out of the departure road / depot.
Seems unusual but if the speed involved was very low (I don't know what the speed was) and no visible damage occurred, why withdraw it? "Collision" doesn't have to mean damaging impact, but literally the coming-together of two objects. Having said that, today's safety-focused approach would usually suggest that anything involved would be examined in depot, etc. I also recall a discussion some time back about the placement of signals at this location, with alleged confusion by drivers over which applied to their track, but that was on the main line (with an adjacent depot road signal requiring a special sign to differentiate it). Is there a connection here, I wonder.There were posts on se-gen yesterday suggesting that the other train in the collision was allowed straight back out into service afterwards; isn't that a bit unusual?
Interesting - is it facile to suggest that a driver should double-check their perceived signal aspect with the setting of the points ahead, especially at the low speed involved here? I think I would, but that's just my 'armchair' observation. BTW, I am not impugning the driver here, as I don't have the facts, just speaking more generally.The video in question first had a shunting signal set to clear to next block and then a second one near the red aspect for the diverging train on the left so it’s likely a case where the driver misinterpreted this signal as their own, resulting in the SPAD and derailment.
That was what I was thinking - although a very low speed impact, there is always the possibility of some hidden damage that might not be immediately obvious?Having said that, today's safety-focused approach would usually suggest that anything involved would be examined in depot, etc.
Not so much allowed out into service, but the driver was unaware of the collision and carried on as usual. They got to North Dulwich before fleet control rang themThere were posts on se-gen yesterday suggesting that the other train in the collision was allowed straight back out into service afterwards; isn't that a bit unusual?
Good Grief!!!Not so much allowed out into service, but the driver was unaware of the collision and carried on as usual. They got to North Dulwich before fleet control rang them
Wow! That gives an indication of the strength of impact I suppose, but there can't be many train collisions where one just carries on, obvious to the fact! It was presumably an ECS working, and I wonder whether, had it been in service, anyone on board would have noticed if it involved looking up from their phones!Not so much allowed out into service, but the driver was unaware of the collision and carried on as usual. They got to North Dulwich before fleet control rang them