Not at all, just an observation of the culture at GTR.Being resistant to modern ticketing is no automatic virtue, is it?
Not at all, just an observation of the culture at GTR.Being resistant to modern ticketing is no automatic virtue, is it?
GTR has been a management contract since 2008 because of Thameslink 2000. Dft gets all revenue and has to agree an extra costs.Not at all, just an observation of the culture at GTR.
2014GTR has been a management contract since 2008 because of Thameslink 2000. Dft gets all revenue and has to agree an extra costs.
Other TOCs haven't completely switched. My local SWR station's ticket office still issues everything on CCST (and I think the TVMs do too, though it's a while since I used them).It is such a shame as GTR were one of the last TOCs not to have started using loo roll. It is such a massive downgrade. GTR along with Southeastern and London Overground and Elizabeth Line were the only four left and now it is just three.
I find the bog roll tickets screw up such that they are hard to present one handed at the gates, harder to slip in and out of wallets and pockets, harder to find, and easier to lose (and blow away very easily if you do drop them).
Much harder to keep between your teeth whilst you sort yourself out too!
If I do end up with one, I straight away fold it into thirds with the Aztec code outward, and put it into my normal railcard wallet with the code visible behind the transparent window. That way you can scan it (at barriers or on the train) without taking it out.How would you suggest?
Cunning. Would mean carrying the railcard wallet though, and it’s only the ticket office issuing bogroll so far, not the machines.If I do end up with one, I straight away fold it into thirds with the Aztec code outward, and put it into my normal railcard wallet with the code visible behind the transparent window. That way you can scan it (at barriers or on the train) without taking it out.
Almost all my tickets are railcard discounted, so I pretty much always have it with me when I'm travelling by train. (I also carry my ENCTS pass in it too).Cunning. Would mean carrying the railcard wallet though, and it’s only the ticket office issuing bogroll so far, not the machines.
You know you can fold them and put them in your wallet so that they can be seen and understood by the inspectors whilst you travel by train.These tickets really are horrible. They get creased and crumpled and in poor condition so quickly. You put it in your pocket and it just gets in such bad condition before long.
I have a railcard, but the ticket rarely gets checked so the railcard stays in my walletAlmost all my tickets are railcard discounted, so I pretty much always have it with me when I'm travelling by train. (I also carry my ENCTS pass in it too).
Because they arent as easy as sticking a card ticket in your back pocket and knowing you can use it one handed at the gate.You know you can fold them and put them in your wallet so that they can be seen and understood by the inspectors whilst you travel by train.
These are nothing new and i dont understand how using these tickets is such an effort for you?
I'd imagine an approach not dissimilar to WMR/LNWR's with the S&B ticket machines being retrofitted with a PRT printer alongside retaining one of the CCST printers, allowing tickets eligible for PRT to be printed as such and CCSTs to remain for (cross-)London tickets.Cunning. Would mean carrying the railcard wallet though, and it’s only the ticket office issuing bogroll so far, not the machines.
So what happens when you sit down and disfigure your ticket so when you go and being the dandy that you are with one hand and it doesnt read your ticket because it has been in your back pocket?I have a railcard, but the ticket rarely gets checked so the railcard stays in my wallet
Because they arent as easy as sticking a card ticket in your back pocket and knowing you can use it one handed at the gate.
This has never happened to me with a card ticket.So what happens when you sit down and disfigure your ticket so when you go and being the dandy that you are with one hand and it doesnt read your ticket because it has been in your back pocket?
I doubt the number of people scrunching them up beyond scanning is more than the amount of CCSTs that demagnetise constantlyDo these tickets cause more hassle at gatelines that the CC type? If significant numbers of crumpled tickets that won't scan have to be looked at and the staff open the barrier to let passengers through, that would increase queues and create more work.
They also don't fit neatly into my holder that I keep my railcard and oyster card in and where I also put my tickets so all are readily to hand when needed.I find the bog roll tickets screw up such that they are hard to present one handed at the gates, harder to slip in and out of wallets and pockets, harder to find, and easier to lose (and blow away very easily if you do drop them).
Much harder to keep between your teeth whilst you sort yourself out too!
That is TfLs justification for not using themDo these tickets cause more hassle at gatelines that the CC type? If significant numbers of crumpled tickets that won't scan have to be looked at and the staff open the barrier to let passengers through, that would increase queues and create more work.
My local TfW booking office is still issuing CCST card tickets.It is such a shame as GTR were one of the last TOCs not to have started using loo roll. It is such a massive downgrade. GTR along with Southeastern and London Overground and Elizabeth Line were the only four left and now it is just three.
My local TfW booking office is still issuing CCST card tickets.
Any TOC still using Fujitsu in the ticket office will be issuing CCST tickets.My local TfW booking office is still issuing CCST card tickets.
They have had that for over twenty years. It was called RSP9599/ATW before and changed to RSP9599/TFW recently. I remember getting those tickets with Welsh on the back in the mid 2000s. I think they just use the normal RSP9599 stock when they run out of the Welsh language one.I don't know if it's just Cardiff Queen St but they also seem to have slightly changed the CCST stock from the ticket office recently -- it now has the NRCoT waffle in Welsh as well on the back (RSP No. 9599/TfW), a ticket I bought from there back in December didn't have it (RSP No. 9599)
One thing i have also wondered is what those are called officially. They have no code printed on the back. I know the loo roll ones are RSP9799 but these other smaller white roll ones have no number. I would have guessed RSP9899 as this code is unused but i have not heard of any code or name allocated to them yet.Is there an abbreviation yet for the barcoded tickets printed onto ordinary paper, roughly A7 size and shape? These aren't really 'paper roll' and aren't thermal printed, so they're different from the long, narrow format that PRT implies. If ticket offices and TVMs are going to issue barcoded tickets, these seem like the best format to me.
Those numbers are the specification for the ticket stock, not what is printed on it.One thing i have also wondered is what those are called officially. They have no code printed on the back. I know the loo roll ones are RSP9799 but these other smaller white roll ones have no number. I would have guessed RSP9899 as this code is unused but i have not heard of any code or name allocated to them yet.
In general, anything that involves a barcode being read takes longer than a practised insertion of a working CCST ticket - phones being worse than paper.Do these tickets cause more hassle at gatelines that the CC type? If significant numbers of crumpled tickets that won't scan have to be looked at and the staff open the barrier to let passengers through, that would increase queues and create more work.
In general anything that involves a barcode being read takes longer than a practised insertion of a working ccst ticket - phones being worse than paper.
Half of card tickets rejecting sounds incredibly unlikely based on experience - the queues in central London would be enormous.Thames99 said:
Do these tickets cause more hassle at gatelines that the CC type? If significant numbers of crumpled tickets that won't scan have to be looked at and the staff open the barrier to let passengers through, that would increase queues and create more work.
Quite the opposite actually a gateline at a major London terminus has a 49% acceptance rate for CCST and 92% for Barcoded tickets