• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Grimmest, most dismal approach to a station?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevconnor

Member
Joined
22 Apr 2013
Messages
641
Location
People's Republic of Mancunia
The approach to Sheffield from the north under all the endless dank bridges, especially when you have to wait at the signals within them, is quite horrible.

I use to work in Sheffield and a gentleman I worked with did that run every day. He said he use to love it in the past when there was the proper heavy industry going through the Don Valley up towards Meadowhell, there were all kinds of sights to be seen in various metal works that were about, not much to be seen there now mind, there is still plenty of industry but it is all out of sight.

I don't like to enter is Llandudno Junction, this part of the North Wales branch line unfairly masks the beauty of the town of Llandudno, whoever was last in charge of redeveloping this part of the town (station included) seemed to be under the mantra of 'that'll do', everything looks half finished. This is in stark contrast to one of my favorite stations on the network up the way at Conwy; Both from an engineering (Stevensons Tubular bridge) and aesthetic point (Conwy Town).

Not so much entering a station but I always was wary when leaving Failsworth on the old Oldham Loop, the incline became rather steep and it always seemed that the pacers that were invariably scheduled would struggle to make it up to Hollinwood. It always felt like the conductor would need to make an announcement for any heavy objects to be discarded for us to be able to make it up there. I can only imagine how they would have coped with the The Werneth incline had it been retained.
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,843
Location
Nowhere Heath
The approach to Walsall past Bescot - a decaying canal underneath a forest of concrete pillars supporting the M6 viaduct on one side, and decaying/abandoned railway structures and vehicles in Bescot yard on the other (and I think there are some powerlines as well to add to the scenery!). Then you get to Walsall station with a very dark tunnel at the far end, and the back side of a shopping centre to look at - which also manages to hide the street entrance to the station quite well, as far as I remember - and to access one of the platforms you have to go out the entrance and down a side street....

Very good points, Walsall is a bit strange for that platform access thing. T'was most annoying on my last visit to the Chase Line, on a limited amount of time between one train and the next was bad enough without having that extra hassle. Good thing the train was a few minutes late!

I do wonder what they intend to do with the former RMT at Walsall, looking most out of place and forlorn now. Bristol Parkway's one went and now the place looks more modern following the new NR building.
 

Hophead

Established Member
Joined
5 Apr 2013
Messages
1,400
It's not an approach, but Three Bridges to Horsham feels pretty grimy and grim at times.

Through Crawley town centre, past West Green Park and Ifield's back gardens; 4-5 miles of open country, with good views both sides; more back gardens, the Novartis[1] site and a few sidings?

You are a delicate flower, aren't you? 'Grimy and grim' it ain't. Sorry.


[1] the 'former Novartis site' if you're reading this in the near future.
 

DiscoStu

Member
Joined
26 May 2010
Messages
323
Location
Northampton, UK
I think the whole line between New Street and Wolverhampton is pretty dreadful, but I'd say New Street has the worst approach I know of.

I haven't been there for many, many years, but I always thought the approach to Haymarket from the Carstairs direction was pretty depressing on a cold, misty morning. It actually appeared in one of my dreams a few months ago, which I thought was strange.
 

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Joined
22 Feb 2011
Messages
21,947
Location
Mold, Clwyd
Before we run ourselves down too much, nothing in the UK is as bad as the approach to Paris Nord, or Milano Centrale, or Roma Termini.
They have given up on the graffiti, which covers every conceivable surface for many km.
And these are the much admired state-owned infrastructure companies.
 

DiscoStu

Member
Joined
26 May 2010
Messages
323
Location
Northampton, UK
Before we run ourselves down too much, nothing in the UK is as bad as the approach to Paris Nord, or Milano Centrale, or Roma Termini.
They have given up on the graffiti, which covers every conceivable surface for many km.
And these are the much admired state-owned infrastructure companies.


Brussels Midi to Brussel Nord as well ...
 

nw1

Established Member
Joined
9 Aug 2013
Messages
9,430
Before we run ourselves down too much, nothing in the UK is as bad as the approach to Paris Nord, or Milano Centrale, or Roma Termini.
They have given up on the graffiti, which covers every conceivable surface for many km.
And these are the much admired state-owned infrastructure companies.

Would agree the approach to Paris Nord is quite "gritty" - wasteland punctuated with huge tower blocks with massive neon signs advertising phone manufacturers - same goes for the approach to Frankfurt Hbf from the Cologne direction. That said like some others here I don't actually mind such surroundings as a small part of a train journey - it has a certain interest, though I'd agree, not the sort of areas you'd go on holiday.

I have noticed that "brutal" industrial landscapes tend to be more prevalent in certain other countries - such as France and the USA - than the UK: different planning laws? One feature of some countries for instance are sets of pylon lines 10-abreast, there are some of those just outside Paris about where the LGV goes onto the classic line, and similar instances in the LA area. We don't seem to go in for that here.
 
Last edited:

aaronJC

New Member
Joined
28 Nov 2013
Messages
3
My vote goes to the short stretch between New Clee and Grimsby Docks.
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,859
Location
West of Andover
Has the approach to Southampton Central from the East been mentioned yet?

Yep

Western approach is OK, only for the potential spots in the dock areas
 
Last edited:

Statto

Established Member
Joined
8 Feb 2011
Messages
4,107
Location
At home or at the pub
Broad Green or Edge Hill TMD into Liverpool Lime Street is awful as is approaching St Helens Central from Liverpool, also the approaches to Chester are grim.
 

MK Tom

Established Member
Joined
31 Aug 2011
Messages
2,458
Location
Milton Keynes
A second vote for Stoke on Trent from the north for me. Very wastelandy, and a lot of abandoned railway land. The approach to Northampton from the north is similar.
 

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Joined
4 Feb 2012
Messages
2,411
Location
Glasgow
The worst I have ever seen us no longer with us - the approach to Glasgow St Enoch in its last days which went past the partly demolished Gorbals slums. It seemed incredible to me that people could still be living in such conditions.
 

bussnapperwm

Established Member
Joined
18 May 2014
Messages
1,527
Can I nominate Smethwick Galton Bridge coming from Rowley Regis. First you pass thought the wastelands and industrial backwaters of Langley Green then you pass some okish houses then the derelict platforms of Smethwick West pounce upon you before turning the corner to SGB.
 

GatwickDepress

Established Member
Joined
14 Jan 2013
Messages
2,588
Location
Leeds
Through Crawley town centre, past West Green Park and Ifield's back gardens; 4-5 miles of open country, with good views both sides; more back gardens, the Novartis[1] site and a few sidings?

You are a delicate flower, aren't you? 'Grimy and grim' it ain't. Sorry.


[1] the 'former Novartis site' if you're reading this in the near future.
My apologies, I was wrong (I've travelled between Three Bridges and Horsham less than thrice in my entire life), and was thinking of Three Bridges to Crawley. Human perception seems to be that negative events (such as a man urinating against a lineside fence) are remembered so I'm sure it's lovely really.

There was no need for your disgusting tone and attitude, which has upset me. I can assure you my thin skin is temporary, thanks to an irl incident.

-Vera
 

Howardh

Established Member
Joined
17 May 2011
Messages
9,799
Approaching Salford Crescent from Bolton. Happily the rest of the journey into Victoria or Piccadilly is much better now, occasionally makes you want to get off the train and explore! Twenty or so years ago it was just so grim....
 

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,373
Location
Yorkshire
The few miles towards Manchester Piccadilly from Guide Bridge sidings to Ardwick aren't pretty... Not only for all the litter and fly-tipped junk or the 'interesting' scenery (Police dog training area, anyone?) but also the short-sighted construction of platform ramps at Gorton etc. across the lifted 3rd and 4th tracks: Things like that are just depressing!
 

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Sep 2013
Messages
17,646
Location
Isle of Man
Bradford Interchange, from Leeds. Down past the chicken rendering plant, derelict mills and the bus depot, and then into cuttings.
 

tsr

Established Member
Joined
15 Nov 2011
Messages
7,400
Location
Between the parallel lines
Has anyone mentioned Lowestoft? It can be so grim - especially in dank weather - that it's actually fairly dramatic. There can still be some interesting activities relating to marine industries, but in general, the approach is not utterly delightful.
 

chris89

Established Member
Joined
21 Dec 2009
Messages
1,372
Location
Somewhere
The recent cultural vandalism undertaken at LL doesn't help either.

Which is? (Sorry haven't been to LL Queen Street since Feb ish time, since Edinburgh is quicker to get to when up in that part of Scotland)

Chris
 

frodshamfella

Established Member
Joined
25 Sep 2010
Messages
2,039
Location
Frodsham
I used to commute into Charing Cross and later Cannon Street many years ago. Nice glass roof nice and bight, and had a feeling of a terminus. All long gone, now its dark and cramped, and I think they did similar job to Cannon Street. Horrid.
 

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,373
Location
Yorkshire
I used to commute into Charing Cross and later Cannon Street many years ago. Nice glass roof nice and bight, and had a feeling of a terminus. All long gone, now its dark and cramped, and I think they did similar job to Cannon Street. Horrid.

I agree with your points entirely, though this thread is for the views (or lack of) when approaching:- and Charing Cross has lovely views of the Thames!
 
Joined
2 Apr 2013
Messages
95
My daily commute sees me take the train from Coseley to Telford, so I can understand what people are saying about the approach to Wolverhampton; boarded up factories, demolished industrial units, decaying units down by the canal and the old steel works now largely condemned (Although it does still make a little steel)

For me, as unpleasant as it is for some to take the train through working industrial areas, it is far worse to go through abandoned industrial areas like at Wolverhampton.

To that end, I would have to agree that the approach to Wolves is pretty depressing. I would also put Ellesemere Port into that category; seems like there is a large part of the landscape missing since the old Robinson's Metal works were demolished.
 

59CosG95

Established Member
Joined
18 Aug 2013
Messages
6,867
Location
Beeston (Notts)
I used to commute into Charing Cross and later Cannon Street many years ago. Nice glass roof nice and bight, and had a feeling of a terminus. All long gone, now its dark and cramped, and I think they did similar job to Cannon Street. Horrid.

Victoria's Brighton side concourse is a real "sight for sore eyes" as well. At least Euston's roof is a little bit above the trains due to OHLE clearance. And I don't see the problem with St Pancras' (immediate) approaches overlooking London.
 

Hophead

Established Member
Joined
5 Apr 2013
Messages
1,400
My apologies, I was wrong (I've travelled between Three Bridges and Horsham less than thrice in my entire life), and was thinking of Three Bridges to Crawley. Human perception seems to be that negative events (such as a man urinating against a lineside fence) are remembered so I'm sure it's lovely really.

There was no need for your disgusting tone and attitude, which has upset me. I can assure you my thin skin is temporary, thanks to an irl incident.

-Vera

Sorry, GD - I got the tone all wrong
 

Strathclyder

Established Member
Joined
12 Jun 2013
Messages
3,843
Location
Clydebank
Which is? (Sorry haven't been to LL Queen Street since Feb ish time, since Edinburgh is quicker to get to when up in that part of Scotland)

Chris
The yellow seating/paneling is getting removed from Queen Street LL & is getting replaced by this:
 

Attachments

  • CABDE160-0668-4123-8450-466FEAE3BB95_zpsrsoyymtp.jpg
    CABDE160-0668-4123-8450-466FEAE3BB95_zpsrsoyymtp.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 77
  • 62B8AA48-D23B-4F8D-B0D7-51C6292ADF18_zpsjctzhj4g.jpg
    62B8AA48-D23B-4F8D-B0D7-51C6292ADF18_zpsjctzhj4g.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top