• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Grimmest, most dismal approach to a station?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TOCDriver

Member
Joined
24 Jan 2013
Messages
609
I'll second Liverpool Lime Street. Damp, dank, murky, litter-strewn - with age old looking signalling covered in moss and grime. The steady descent when you arrive, and the climb out towards the 'light at the end of the tunnel' when leaving are only too apt - in a metaphorical sense.

I love it though - it makes me feel like im driving a train into a Victorian back street. A real slice of 'old railway'.

Yes, I agree with that, but Corkickle from Whitehaven tunnel takes some beating. But then again you could say that about Farnworth and it's approach from the tunnel. I don't particularly like tunnels :)
 
Last edited:

underbank

Established Member
Joined
26 Jan 2013
Messages
1,486
Location
North West England
I always find the drag on the WCML into Euston very depressing and something I try not to look at. Always prefer to get my head down and read something until we hit the platform. Just lots of squalid back gardens, derelict buildings, ugly track side structures, dark tunnel, and then the masterpiece of the ugly Euston station itself. But then again, I hate London with a passion and try to avoid it like the plague!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top