Hello,
I have received a Travel Irregularity letter from Greater Anglia and am really worried about where this could lead. I have read as many of the posts on here as I can, and there has been some brilliant advice offered - but I’m aware every case is different and would be really grateful for your thoughts or any reassurance you can offer me.
I am a bit wary of unintentionally identifying myself to anyone from GA who might come across this forum and so I would prefer to avoid mentioning the specific stations in my situation…I hope that’s OK.
I have been stupidly short faring for quite some time. It goes without saying that I completely regret this and am overcome with embarrassment - I wish I had never been so naive. I am extremely honest in all other aspects of my life, it’s just that I feel completely ripped off by train ticket prices and thought I could save a bit of money without any consequences.
Approximately once a week (but not every week) I travel one-way from Station A to Station D (there are two stops on the line between these, so I’ll name them Stations B and C). There are no barriers at Station A and sometimes the barriers are open at Station D, so I usually wait to see if they are closed when I arrive. If so, I purchase a ticket on an app from Station C to Station D (i.e a shorter distance than I actually travelled). It’s worth mentioning that the train I usually get does not actually stop at Station C, although it is on the same line and occasionally does stop there.
One Saturday (not the day I usually travel), I had to make the same journey from Station A to Station D. I’d fully intended to buy the correct ticket for this journey whilst waiting on the platform, as this was outside of my usual pattern where I tried to save money on that particular regular journey (if that makes sense). I also thought an inspector was likely to be around on a Saturday. However when I arrived on the platform, the train was already there so I jumped straight on, flustered, and forgot all about the ticket until I saw an inspector on the train after we had passed Station B. I panicked and quickly bought a ticket on my app but it was the wrong one - I bought one from Station B to Station D instead of Station A to D. When my ticket was scanned, the inspector confronted me about why it was only-just purchased and asked how I’d been able to get through the barriers at Station B without scanning the ticket. I had no idea that they could see the time of purchase and was filled with horror about what this meant for my ticket purchase history. Long story short, I was fined for my journey from Station A to Station D - but he assured me he wasn’t going to put it on the record and this would be the end of it.
This experience terrified me. I spent the week full of anxiety and resolved to never short-fare again. In a panic, I also deleted my ticket app account. However, I haven’t needed to make my regular journey since and so haven’t got evidence of turning over a new leaf.
So now, having received this letter, I am really worried again. I’ve seen some posts from people who have received a letter without having been stopped by an inspector, so I’m aware it could be coincidental.
My problem is that I deleted my app account, and so I cannot look at my purchase history to work out how many times I have short fared…I also almost don’t want to as I’m scared of the answer. As a rough estimate, I think it happens approx. twice a month on average and I think it could have been for as long as 3 years - but I genuinely can’t remember exactly.
To further complicate matters, I also realised after deleting the app that my Railcard was on there, so I’ve been meaning to contact the app to get it reinstated before my next journey - however when looking through my emails to try to find an email confirmation to show my Railcard expiry date, I found an unread email about renewing my Railcard, and I am now wondering if it had in fact expired and I hadn’t realised (the email doesn’t specify that it expired - it just says Renew for a 1/3 off).
Perhaps the letter is in relation to the expired Railcard (assuming it has expired) - I think this would be the best case scenario for me as my Renewal email is dated a few months ago, and so it should only be a few months of incorrect fares that I hope can be sorted out.
It’s whether the letter is referring to the short fares that I am most concerned about, and the likelihood of prosecution if indeed they can show I have been doing this over a period of a few years. I know there are a lot of unknowns at the moment. I responded politely to the letter on the same day saying I wanted to resolve this and asked for more details, but how long realistically do you think it will take for me to hear back now? What tends to happen to people who have been short faring repeatedly over a sustained period of time?
If this letter is only referring to an expired Railcard, do you think reopening my original app account (if it’s possible to do so) could highlight the other issues, or should I assume they probably have access to that anyway? Also, if it is only referring to an expired Railcard, do you think they are likely to find out and get in touch about the other issues separately?
As mentioned above, I am hesitant to share anything that could identify me and so haven’t attached the letter/my response - but this is what the letter says:
We have been investigating industry data and have been led to believe you are potentially not paying full fares on Greater Anglia services.
This activity has been highlighted as potentially fraudulent.
We view this as a serious issue, and we have taken this step to contact you, with an outlook to resolve this matter with you efficiently.
It also mentions my app account as a reference.
Thanks so much in advance for your thoughts and please let me know if I need to provide any further info.
I have received a Travel Irregularity letter from Greater Anglia and am really worried about where this could lead. I have read as many of the posts on here as I can, and there has been some brilliant advice offered - but I’m aware every case is different and would be really grateful for your thoughts or any reassurance you can offer me.
I am a bit wary of unintentionally identifying myself to anyone from GA who might come across this forum and so I would prefer to avoid mentioning the specific stations in my situation…I hope that’s OK.
I have been stupidly short faring for quite some time. It goes without saying that I completely regret this and am overcome with embarrassment - I wish I had never been so naive. I am extremely honest in all other aspects of my life, it’s just that I feel completely ripped off by train ticket prices and thought I could save a bit of money without any consequences.
Approximately once a week (but not every week) I travel one-way from Station A to Station D (there are two stops on the line between these, so I’ll name them Stations B and C). There are no barriers at Station A and sometimes the barriers are open at Station D, so I usually wait to see if they are closed when I arrive. If so, I purchase a ticket on an app from Station C to Station D (i.e a shorter distance than I actually travelled). It’s worth mentioning that the train I usually get does not actually stop at Station C, although it is on the same line and occasionally does stop there.
One Saturday (not the day I usually travel), I had to make the same journey from Station A to Station D. I’d fully intended to buy the correct ticket for this journey whilst waiting on the platform, as this was outside of my usual pattern where I tried to save money on that particular regular journey (if that makes sense). I also thought an inspector was likely to be around on a Saturday. However when I arrived on the platform, the train was already there so I jumped straight on, flustered, and forgot all about the ticket until I saw an inspector on the train after we had passed Station B. I panicked and quickly bought a ticket on my app but it was the wrong one - I bought one from Station B to Station D instead of Station A to D. When my ticket was scanned, the inspector confronted me about why it was only-just purchased and asked how I’d been able to get through the barriers at Station B without scanning the ticket. I had no idea that they could see the time of purchase and was filled with horror about what this meant for my ticket purchase history. Long story short, I was fined for my journey from Station A to Station D - but he assured me he wasn’t going to put it on the record and this would be the end of it.
This experience terrified me. I spent the week full of anxiety and resolved to never short-fare again. In a panic, I also deleted my ticket app account. However, I haven’t needed to make my regular journey since and so haven’t got evidence of turning over a new leaf.
So now, having received this letter, I am really worried again. I’ve seen some posts from people who have received a letter without having been stopped by an inspector, so I’m aware it could be coincidental.
My problem is that I deleted my app account, and so I cannot look at my purchase history to work out how many times I have short fared…I also almost don’t want to as I’m scared of the answer. As a rough estimate, I think it happens approx. twice a month on average and I think it could have been for as long as 3 years - but I genuinely can’t remember exactly.
To further complicate matters, I also realised after deleting the app that my Railcard was on there, so I’ve been meaning to contact the app to get it reinstated before my next journey - however when looking through my emails to try to find an email confirmation to show my Railcard expiry date, I found an unread email about renewing my Railcard, and I am now wondering if it had in fact expired and I hadn’t realised (the email doesn’t specify that it expired - it just says Renew for a 1/3 off).
Perhaps the letter is in relation to the expired Railcard (assuming it has expired) - I think this would be the best case scenario for me as my Renewal email is dated a few months ago, and so it should only be a few months of incorrect fares that I hope can be sorted out.
It’s whether the letter is referring to the short fares that I am most concerned about, and the likelihood of prosecution if indeed they can show I have been doing this over a period of a few years. I know there are a lot of unknowns at the moment. I responded politely to the letter on the same day saying I wanted to resolve this and asked for more details, but how long realistically do you think it will take for me to hear back now? What tends to happen to people who have been short faring repeatedly over a sustained period of time?
If this letter is only referring to an expired Railcard, do you think reopening my original app account (if it’s possible to do so) could highlight the other issues, or should I assume they probably have access to that anyway? Also, if it is only referring to an expired Railcard, do you think they are likely to find out and get in touch about the other issues separately?
As mentioned above, I am hesitant to share anything that could identify me and so haven’t attached the letter/my response - but this is what the letter says:
We have been investigating industry data and have been led to believe you are potentially not paying full fares on Greater Anglia services.
This activity has been highlighted as potentially fraudulent.
We view this as a serious issue, and we have taken this step to contact you, with an outlook to resolve this matter with you efficiently.
It also mentions my app account as a reference.
Thanks so much in advance for your thoughts and please let me know if I need to provide any further info.