• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greater Anglia - Trainee Driver - Recruitment Discussion

Spider1806

Member
Joined
28 Aug 2024
Messages
238
Location
Kettering
A few of us did DFFT only but we haven’t even heard if we passed why is that others have heard about stage 2

Is that because stage 1 and DFFT is paper and has to be marked and sent off? But stage 2 is immediate pass or fail on the day?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sgg

Member
Joined
10 Jun 2026
Messages
30
Location
cambridge
A few of us did DFFT only but we haven’t even heard if we passed why is that others have heard about stage 2

Is that because stage 1 and DFFT is paper and has to be marked and sent off? But stage 2 is immediate pass or fail on the day?
Yes you’re correct - well from my experience anyway.

all paper based has to be assessed m, marked and double checked.

Stage 2 computer based we found out straight away. It’s just the MMI interview outcome I am waiting for
 

Arthur2026

New Member
Joined
28 Aug 2026
Messages
2
Location
London
Those who have passed part 2 and the MMI recently, how long did you wait before you heard
From what I have heard it’s a mix of responses. A few people I know found out they passed both the computer and mmi within the next couple of days. I completed mine just over a week ago and still waiting for a response. Guessing it all depends on the work load of the test centre
 

Tonboles365

Member
Joined
2 Apr 2020
Messages
19
Location
Peterborough
I found out within 2 days that I had passed my MMI, however, as previously stated, it then also was followed up by the information regarding trainee depot driver due to internal process changes. That being said, having responded, I haven't heard anything since.
 

37Shortset

New Member
Joined
22 Jun 2026
Messages
4
Location
East Anglia

I have been given a formal job offer for the position of Depot Driver at Norwich, start date 16/11/26, training to be held at Norwich. I don't know if this is just for Norwich staff or for Cambridge Depot Drivers as well. I'd guess a course would be for 8-12 trainees possibly, so I wouldn't think this amount of new staff would be for just one depot, I may be wrong. I applied directly as a Depot Driver and feel this is probably the best way to work towards my goal of becoming a Mainline Driver, and as others have suggested this seems to be the way forward at the current time.
Good luck to those still moving through selection.
Congratulations Shunter Bones! I’m very happy for you.
I hope to join you one day. The process is a long one and the waiting in between stages will be hard.
I didn’t feel I was prepared enough when the last Norwich depot driver post was advertised a few months ago but ready to go for it now courtesy of TDF courses, a CV review and psychometric test practice!
 

Shunter Bones

Member
Joined
16 Feb 2022
Messages
124
Location
Somewhere.
Congratulations Shunter Bones! I’m very happy for you.
I hope to join you one day. The process is a long one and the waiting in between stages will be hard.
I didn’t feel I was prepared enough when the last Norwich depot driver post was advertised a few months ago but ready to go for it now courtesy of TDF courses, a CV review and psychometric test practice!
Thank you and stick with it, it will come eventually.
 

ku_ku_ka_cho

Member
Joined
17 Apr 2024
Messages
46
Location
Cambridge
A few of us did DFFT only but we haven’t even heard if we passed why is that others have heard about stage 2

Is that because stage 1 and DFFT is paper and has to be marked and sent off? But stage 2 is immediate pass or fail on the day?
I did Stage 1 at Stratford last week too, no updates as yet re results but having previously passed the assessment centre for Cross Country, I can say it was definitely a more regimented experience than the one up in Manchester!
 

lifeisarail

Member
Joined
19 May 2025
Messages
11
Location
victoria
Hi everyone,

I have applied for driver positions at both Liverpool Street TOCs. I’ve already completed all the selection stages, including the MMI, with a different TOC.

Has anyone heard back regarding positions out of Liverpool Street recently? Also, since I’ve passed all stages, will I automatically be put through to a DMI when a vacancy arises, or does the process restart?

I’ve tried emailing recruitment but haven't received a response yet. Did the recent transition/changes from Depot to Mainline driver roles affect Liverpool Street recruitment as well?

Thanks in advance for any insights!
 

ramsy12

Member
Joined
27 Feb 2026
Messages
113
Location
Cambridge
Hi everyone,

I have applied for driver positions at both Liverpool Street TOCs. I’ve already completed all the selection stages, including the MMI, with a different TOC.

Has anyone heard back regarding positions out of Liverpool Street recently? Also, since I’ve passed all stages, will I automatically be put through to a DMI when a vacancy arises, or does the process restart?

I’ve tried emailing recruitment but haven't received a response yet. Did the recent transition/changes from Depot to Mainline driver roles affect Liverpool Street recruitment as well?

Thanks in advance for any insights!
Maybe you might have to do DFFT if not done earlier. Thats what happened with me. Since passing DFFT no any update further to process. Hopefully will be manager interview as per the process.
 

PufferFish

Member
Joined
4 Apr 2023
Messages
6
Location
London
Do we know anything on Liverpool st with regards to the change of process, I have passed 1 and 2 psychometric on January and currently waiting for a DMI
 

Mrworldwide

Member
Joined
3 Jul 2026
Messages
7
Location
London
I’ve got my SJE & MMI tomorrow, anyone got some tips - any do’s and don’t

Pretty certain I applied for bishops stortford

TIA
 

JMD29

New Member
Joined
3 Sep 2026
Messages
2
Location
England
I completed stage 2 last week, got confirmation I had passed it yesterday.
Today I received the email stating in summary - "not able to process your application for mainline, you can apply for depot driver instead"
I have sent a response, but nothing further yet - Shame it has changed! But the end goal is still the same, just a slightly longer process.
 

sgg

Member
Joined
10 Jun 2026
Messages
30
Location
cambridge
I completed stage 2 last week, got confirmation I had passed it yesterday.
Today I received the email stating in summary - "not able to process your application for mainline, you can apply for depot driver instead"
I have sent a response, but nothing further yet - Shame it has changed! But the end goal is still the same, just a slightly longer process.
Same
 

Spider1806

Member
Joined
28 Aug 2024
Messages
238
Location
Kettering
I completed stage 2 last week, got confirmation I had passed it yesterday.
Today I received the email stating in summary - "not able to process your application for mainline, you can apply for depot driver instead"
I have sent a response, but nothing further yet - Shame it has changed! But the end goal is still the same, just a slightly longer process.
What depot?
 

jakejeffers93

Member
Joined
23 Aug 2026
Messages
8
Location
London
I completed stage 2 last week, got confirmation I had passed it yesterday.
Today I received the email stating in summary - "not able to process your application for mainline, you can apply for depot driver instead"
I have sent a response, but nothing further yet - Shame it has changed! But the end goal is still the same, just a slightly longer process.
What depot ? This for Cambridge…
 

Spider1806

Member
Joined
28 Aug 2024
Messages
238
Location
Kettering
What depot ? This for Cambridge…
This is before you have the DMI?

anyone know much about depot drivers? Lots of overtime? Is it 42k basic now?

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

is there anyone who hasn’t been told that it’s depot driver only who applied for Cambridge?
 

ramsy12

Member
Joined
27 Feb 2026
Messages
113
Location
Cambridge
This is before you have the DMI?

anyone know much about depot drivers? Lots of overtime? Is it 42k basic now?

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

is there anyone who hasn’t been told that it’s depot driver only who applied for Cambridge?
Even i am waiting for the email. What about you???

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Cambridge - Before DMI.
I am still happy to be a depot driver either way!
Are you a depot driver already or working with railway?
 

Tonboles365

Member
Joined
2 Apr 2020
Messages
19
Location
Peterborough
This is before you have the DMI?

anyone know much about depot drivers? Lots of overtime? Is it 42k basic now?

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

is there anyone who hasn’t been told that it’s depot driver only who applied for Cambridge?

Yes, depot driver only now, with progression to mainline driver after time served and vacancy becomes available.

Training salary is £39,118, benefits and hours are the same as trainee mainline driver.
 

Spider1806

Member
Joined
28 Aug 2024
Messages
238
Location
Kettering
Yes, depot driver only now, with progression to mainline driver after time served and vacancy becomes available.

Training salary is £39,118, benefits and hours are the same as trainee mainline driver.
Then it goes to what salary?

So they no longer require mainline drivers across the whole company?
 

Tonboles365

Member
Joined
2 Apr 2020
Messages
19
Location
Peterborough
Then it goes to what salary?

So they no longer require mainline drivers across the whole company?

I don't believe that is at all the case, but my understanding is they have made changes to their internal hiring policies which has meant the route is now Depot Driver > Mainline Driver.
 

Top