Trainfan344
Established Member
- Joined
- 13 Oct 2012
- Messages
- 2,305
As a Lowestoft Resident. I'd rather sacrifice the through service and change at Ipswich for a ride on a comfy Mk3 to London. Quieter and comfier I find!
The through services are supposed to start in May 2019...
Is it 4 services in total, eg, 2 services each way, or is it 4 services each way???
For the four tracking of the London part of the WAML is it being 3 tracked or 4 tracked at present?
Plan I believe is to 3 track first to enable STAR, but with provision for 4 tracking later on.
That's what I thought. Does seem odd to three track now, when 4 tracking is ultimately going to happen :roll:
Not really sure how Tottenham Hale station is going to cope, it doesn't seem to have the room for one new platform and trackbed let alone another platform and trackbed in the future
Look at Tottenham Hale in Google Earth. You'll see there's a strip of land beside it on the east. This is where the old slow lines were (added in 1913 and lifted around electrification time i think). There is definitely the space to quad the line. The reason it's not being done all at once is primarily down to cost.
In an ideal world I would like to see a faster London-Norwich service with less stops. When I lived in Great Yarmouth (1992-6) the London-Norwich services didn't stop until at least Colchester. Now there's Stratford, Shenfield and Chelmsford in the mix, and whilst they give valuable connections to the Docklands, East London and South Essex, I think 1tph could call at Ipswich and Norwich only. I mean, come on, does Diss need 3tph to London and Norwich?
I know it's all down to available paths but surely this could be managed.
Maybe a London-Norwich service pattern like this;
1tph calling at Ipswich only
1tph calling at Stratford, Shenfield, Chelmsford, Colchester, Manningtree, Ipswich, Needham Market, Stowmarket, and Diss
1tph calling at Stratford, Chelmsford, Colchester, Ipswich, and Diss
more of a fantasy one- (re)-build the Haverhill line. From south of Cambridge, ru using the bi-modes:
1tph Airport-Norwich (Airport-Audley End-Whittlesford-Cambridge-Cambridge North-Ely-Brandon-Thetford-Attleborough-Wymondham-Norwich)
1tph Haverhill-Norwich all stops (and I mean all)
1tph Haverhill-Peterborough all stops.
still run the XC and EMT services, obviously, but strip them of stops between Ely & Norwich and Ely & Peterborough
I've done that a few times over the last few months but it still doesn't look big enough? And isn't the big structure on the current platforms going to have to be demolished sooner or later?
Maybe a London-Norwich service pattern like this;
1tph calling at Colchester Ipswich only
1tph calling at Stratford, Shenfield, Chelmsford, Colchester, Manningtree, Ipswich, Stowmarket, and Diss
1tph calling at Stratford, Chelmsford, Colchester, Ipswich
more of a fantasy one- (re)-build the Haverhill line.
1tph Haverhill-Norwich all stops (and I mean all)
...
Maybe a London-Norwich service pattern like this;
1tph calling at Colchester, Ipswich only
1tph calling at Stratford, Chelmsford, Colchester, Manningtree, Ipswich, Stowmarket, and Diss
1tph calling at Chelmsford, Colchester, Ipswich, and Diss
That sounds Ideal. Colchester and Ipswich only could be pushing 95/100 minute journey times. (Considering that London to Norwich calling at Colchester, Manningtree, Ipswich and Diss gets 118 minutes).
It's the deployment and layout of the 22 10 carAventras that most interests me. There's currently 26 GE 12 car commuter trains in each direction, some trains will clearly be reduced in length.
It's the deployment and layout of the 22 10 carAventras that most interests me. There's currently 26 GE 12 car commuter trains in each direction, some trains will clearly be reduced in length.
Aren't the Aventra's longer vehicles so 10 cars are the same size (and maybe with more seating) than a 12 car 321/360?
How long would that even take? Would you send it via the East Suffolk Line to Lowestoft,then To Reedham, then to Great Yarmouth then to Norwich?
A Norwich Service calling at Tottenham Hale, Bishops Stortford, Cambridge, Chesterton, Ely, Thetford, Norwich (1 per hour) would be nice.
A Norwich Service calling at Tottenham Hale, Bishops Stortford, Cambridge, Chesterton, Ely, Thetford, Norwich (1 per hour) would be nice.
A Norwich Service calling at Tottenham Hale, Bishops Stortford, Cambridge, Chesterton, Ely, Thetford, Norwich (1 per hour) would be nice.
Add Harlow Town to the calling Pattern and probably Audley End. I assume by Chesterton you mean Cambridge North?
I do not think legally that you can not stop at Audley End.
Not in the current timetable but in a couple of previous ones the first XC from Cambridge to Stansted on a Saturday morning ran non stop and didn't call at Audley End...