• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greater Anglia Liveries Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Quizmaster
Joined
21 Jan 2010
Messages
5,574
https://twitter.com/scott_vanessa/status/362522038738493441
Dame Stella Rimmington launches @thebrecks train travelling between Norwich and Cambridge @greateranglia pic.twitter.com/2r3O55S1sd

BQfv357CIAEmjvA.jpg
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SansPareil

Member
Joined
29 May 2013
Messages
124
Greater Anglia really seem to be struggling for Units at the moment, Norwich was chaos on Saturday when the railtour was there after a 153 failed outside Crown Point, and one of the 47s on the short set failed temporarily, drags to Great Yarmouth were cancelled. I believe 156415 has now returned to East Midlands Trains?

Incidentally I noticed three variations of the former ONE livery on the mk3 coaches, some have the rainbow overpainted black, others blue, and some have three equally sized bands, of black,blue, black. I hadn't previously noticed that.
 
Joined
4 Jun 2009
Messages
806
Location
London
Greater Anglia really seem to be struggling for Units at the moment, Norwich was chaos on Saturday when the railtour was there after a 153 failed outside Crown Point, and one of the 47s on the short set failed temporarily, drags to Great Yarmouth were cancelled. I believe 156415 has now returned to East Midlands Trains?

Incidentally I noticed three variations of the former ONE livery on the mk3 coaches, some have the rainbow overpainted black, others blue, and some have three equally sized bands, of black,blue, black. I hadn't previously noticed that.

156415 has indeed retuned to Derby. However 156418 has retuned from Wolverton after refurb (nothing has gone in its place yet), and 170271 is also now on its way back to Norwich after being at Wolverton for crash repairs.
 

SprinterMan

Established Member
Joined
20 Sep 2010
Messages
2,341
Location
Hertford
156415 has indeed retuned to Derby. However 156418 has retuned from Wolverton after refurb (nothing has gone in its place yet), and 170271 is also now on its way back to Norwich after being at Wolverton for crash repairs.

Thanks for the info, good news for GA then. I do wonder which 156 will go next, I am praying it's 156416 as it's paintwork is dire. I haven't seen 153314 in ages, is it still running around in faded ONE colours? Is there any more news of the Mark 3 repaint, their internal condition is at least "clean" now, but their external appearance is gradually falling from "embarrassing" to "disgraceful".

Adam :D
 

anglia.rail

Member
Joined
16 Mar 2013
Messages
121
I haven't seen 153314 in ages, is it still running around in faded ONE colours?

Adam :D

153314 is still in one livery at the moment. I think its only used with 153309 or 153322 (only 2 153s I've seen it with)
I think 153314 is going to be repainted after the 156s
 

TheEdge

Established Member
Joined
29 Nov 2012
Messages
4,498
Location
Norwich
153314 is still in one livery at the moment. I think its only used with 153309 or 153322 (only 2 153s I've seen it with)
I think 153314 is going to be repainted after the 156s

AFAIK there is no special working around 314, will work with everything. It is end of the queue
 

anglia.rail

Member
Joined
16 Mar 2013
Messages
121
Has any of the class 156 units left for Wolverton yet?
I noted 156409 and 156407 (wherry line vinyls) at Gt. Yarmouth today. So if one of the units has left for refurb, then this isn't the unit.
Also 170204 was on 15.55 Gt. Yarmouth to Norwich, (calls at Norwich only). Is a 170 common on Saturdays? I haven't seen one before on this route.
Finally, (sorry to go off topic on the thread) Due to the maritime festival in Yarmouth many 156 units (ones already in GA livery) were operating with a GA livery class 153 between Norwich and Yarmouth.
 
Last edited:

SprinterMan

Established Member
Joined
20 Sep 2010
Messages
2,341
Location
Hertford
Has any of the class 156 units left for Wolverton yet?
I noted 156409 and 156407 (wherry line vinyls) at Gt. Yarmouth today. So if one of the units has left for refurb, then this isn't the unit.
Also 170204 was on 15.55 Gt. Yarmouth to Norwich, (calls at Norwich only). Is a 170 common on Saturdays? I haven't seen one before on this route.
Finally, (sorry to go off topic on the thread) Due to the maritime festival in Yarmouth many 156 units (ones already in GA livery) were operating with a GA livery class 153 between Norwich and Yarmouth.

Please see the Opening Post of this thread, I update it regularly and it is currently fully up to date. Currently nothing is at Wolverton as Railcare is undergoing a change of ownership. 170s do sometimes turn up at Yarmouth at weekends, including some scheduled turns, marked in the timetable as having 1st class.

Adam :D
 
Last edited:

df9901

Member
Joined
28 Nov 2012
Messages
16
Polar Bear Livery
Carried by:
TSO 12139 - Still retains old Virgin Trains interior
​

Which interior is that? Something different to the other GA mk3s? Any photos?

Thanks :)
 

SprinterMan

Established Member
Joined
20 Sep 2010
Messages
2,341
Location
Hertford
Polar Bear Livery
Carried by:
TSO 12139 - Still retains old Virgin Trains interior
​

Which interior is that? Something different to the other GA mk3s? Any photos?

Thanks :)

picture.php


Different seat covers (even more like the ones in stagecoach buses) and green carpet on the walls and luggage rack instead of brown. Also, the carpet on the floor was very similar to the old Air2000 colour scheme.

Adam :D
 

df9901

Member
Joined
28 Nov 2012
Messages
16
picture.php


Different seat covers (even more like the ones in stagecoach buses) and green carpet on the walls and luggage rack instead of brown. Also, the carpet on the floor was very similar to the old Air2000 colour scheme.

Ooh - different. Not sure I've been on that one.

Side note: your mention of buses reminded me.. I noticed the other week that GA's 321 refresh seat covers are the same as Abellio London Buses.. subtle :)
 

oliMw

Member
Joined
11 Feb 2012
Messages
196
Surprised that's while the 156s are still off, do you have a source we can see
 

tom1681

Member
Joined
3 Jul 2011
Messages
91
Location
Norwich
I hear that the first two Mk3 coaches will go off at the end of next week. These two will take two weeks, subsequent batches of two will supposedly take one week.

Work being done, as far as we know is:

New bogies
Brake system overhaul
New (re-conditioned) air-con modules
Bodyshell repairs (rust proofing etc)
Vestibule seal replacement
Re-paint in white with red doors.

Doesn't look like power doors or retention toilets will be coming at this stage.
 
Last edited:

Manchester77

Established Member
Joined
4 Jun 2012
Messages
2,628
Location
Manchester
Any kind of refresh to the interior? Even if it's just new seat covers, carpets and minor interior changes it'd be an improvement they do look very tired now.
 

Trainfan344

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2012
Messages
2,305
This means I might get refurbished Mk3's on my service from liverpool street to Norwich when I come home for christmas.
 

387star

On Moderation
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
6,665
I hear that the first two Mk3 coaches will go off at the end of next week. These two will take two weeks, subsequent batches of two will supposedly take one week.

Work being done, as far as we know is:

New bogies
Brake system overhaul
New (re-conditioned) air-con modules
Bodyshell repairs (rust proofing etc)
Vestibule seal replacement
Re-paint in white with red doors.

Doesn't look like power doors or retention toilets will be coming at this stage.


Excellent news very excited I love repaints

Ga will have a pretty uniform fleet once the 315s are done


Presumably 360s and 170s wont be treated at this point but certainly more than Nxea did!
 
Last edited:

david_VI

Member
Joined
18 Jul 2008
Messages
362
Uniformity is finally coming after all these chops and changes!

I wonder if they will ever get around to the 360s as they've always looked out of place and remained mostly in the FGW livery minus the vinyls (I believe).

Everything else changes around them while they have been pretty much the same since they came into use!
 

tom1681

Member
Joined
3 Jul 2011
Messages
91
Location
Norwich
Any kind of refresh to the interior? Even if it's just new seat covers, carpets and minor interior changes it'd be an improvement they do look very tired now.

Doesn't seem like it. Possibly the odd replaced carpet here and there if it's really required I hear, but I guess that means it will have to be pretty much the same colours as what's there now.

With the extension of the franchise to 2016; could we expect the pre NXEA/ONE stock to be refurbished?

As I understand it, the Mk3s are being done solely because Porterbrook want/need to (although GA have requested the red doors) so the 170s/360s won't be done just because the franchise is going on a bit longer.
 
Last edited:

badassunicorn

Member
Joined
8 Jul 2012
Messages
436
Are the 90's and DVT's being repainted as well? Will look pretty odd if all the coaches are white/red and the ends are in ONE or NXEA stripes!
 

tom1681

Member
Joined
3 Jul 2011
Messages
91
Location
Norwich
Are the 90's and DVT's being repainted as well? Will look pretty odd if all the coaches are white/red and the ends are in ONE or NXEA stripes!

Well you would have thought so but no one's mentioned that yet so might be after the coaches are done... there will be some odd combinations running round if that is the case.
 

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2008
Messages
12,774
once more, a pity that the opportunity isn't being taken to refurbish the fleet to Chiltern power door standard and standardise the formations (the new/converted driving vehicle plan can wait)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top