• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greater Anglia Good and Bad Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Wayneh

Member
Joined
4 Dec 2014
Messages
96
Happy to email them Chubs.

We are speaking to many stakeholders who disclose theircID. Email me and disclose yours.

Thanks for interest.
 

chubs

Member
Joined
30 Oct 2012
Messages
694
I get enough spam as it is wayneh, as a leisure user of line who would like to see improvements just wanted to see what you were planning that's all, but if you don't want to share publicly then so be it.

Here are some pics of the first refurbished MK3 carriage

http://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/news...arriage_enters_service_from_norwich_1_3939131

Cant quite work out whether that is just one carriage or the whole rake from the article?
 

Wayneh

Member
Joined
4 Dec 2014
Messages
96
Ill direct message you from here.

Im happy our discussions are public. We need to make sure they are not changed by third parties.

Not accusing you, but this is a sensitive discussion.
 

Z12XE

Member
Joined
30 Sep 2005
Messages
876
I agree with that nesw.

Also what's with the trying to look just like Abellio GA in the style? Logo, font etc.

Why isnt the facebook, Twitter etc known as the East Anglia Passenger Voice Group? That would make it all look a bit more serious rather than just trying to pass off as being connected with AGA by stealing their likeness. No need to spout copyright laws etc just seems silly nonsense.
 
Last edited:

dosxuk

Established Member
Joined
2 Jan 2011
Messages
2,443
Probably need less of the hyperbole too.

https://twitter.com/Delayed_Again/status/562313571070390272/photo/1 said:
Another poor excuse of @Greataranglia rubbish service. Overcrowded trains packed In like cattle.
B829NEdIYAIibB_.jpg

I wouldn't even describe that as busy.
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,951
Location
UK
I agree with that nesw.

Also what's with the trying to look just like Abellio GA in the style? Logo, font etc.

Why isnt the facebook, Twitter etc known as the East Anglia Passenger Voice Group? That would make it all look a bit more serious rather than just trying to pass off as being connected with AGA by stealing their likeness. No need to spout copyright laws etc just seems silly nonsense.

It's childish. The sort of thing a teenager might do in school and think he's really clever (I speak from experience - but I grew out of it).

Suffice to say nobody is going to take anything seriously that appears on a site like that.
 
Last edited:

90sWereBetter

Member
Joined
13 Nov 2012
Messages
1,046
Location
Lost somewhere within Bank-Monument tube station,
It might stand a better chance of being taken seriously if the group logo wasn't a pile of deification & a slogan featuring swearing. http://abellio.greaterangliacomplaints.co.uk/

"Lastest Twitter Photos". Jesus wept, and people wonder why I refuse to take these lot seriously. :roll:

On another note, the MK3 refurb looks really quite smart. Personally hoping for them to be Chilterned with the plug doors, but I guess we'll have to wait until 2016 to find out if this will be the case.
 
Last edited:

hassaanhc

Established Member
Joined
5 Jan 2014
Messages
2,225
Location
Southall
Probably need less of the hyperbole too.



I wouldn't even describe that as busy.

Acres of room! Significant amounts of people would think they've won the lottery if their train was that busy! :roll: :roll: :roll:

And something is fishy if the minutes of the meeting aren't going to be posted here publicly <(
 

TheEdge

Established Member
Joined
29 Nov 2012
Messages
4,498
Location
Norwich
Yea, I recently found that hilariously awful campaign website. My personal favourite bit of it was someone complaining about the cost of station coffee and pastries as if the cost of a third party product is in some way GA's responsibility. The rest of it is just awful, an article is dumping on the East Suffolk about constant cancellations when from my experience the East Suffolk is one of the best rural lines for reliability. Delays yes, cancellations, no.

Also, love all the vague excuses for why minutes cannot be posted.

Im happy our discussions are public. We need to make sure they are not changed by third parties.

Not accusing you, but this is a sensitive discussion.

Changed by third parties? What? Sensitive discussion yet your "official" logo is a childish parody of the TOC name and a cartoon poo.

Must try harder. C-
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,951
Location
UK
C- ?

Is that the new Labour way of rewarding failure so as not to cause offence? :)

Definitely a fail, pure and simple!!
 

306024

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2013
Messages
3,974
Location
East Anglia
Acres of room! Significant amounts of people would think they've won the lottery if their train was that busy! :roll: :roll: :roll:

Indeed, but note the middle seat of 3+2 being used, many more would be standing in a 2+2 configuration.

so is it one carriage or a whole rake?

come on those in the know!

There has barely been time to do one coach so far, yet alone a whole set.
 
Last edited:

samuelmorris

Established Member
Joined
18 Jul 2013
Messages
5,121
Location
Brentwood, Essex
As a participant of the first meeting, the two negative points I would have about the campaign have already been brought up here today - these are ones I've passed back to the group and I understand are being dealt with. Any unprofessional language, or logos for that matter are going to jeopardise the cause in an instant if they're picked up by MPs, which by now I'd have thought they probably will have. The other one is not to describe all failings the same way. There are some genuinely pretty awful things that go on with the AGA franchise. However, in all honesty, dirty floors aren't one of them. Neither is peak time crowding in most cases, especially not some of the pictures taken.

I'm supportive of this group's efforts and intend to attend the next meeting as I do think there's a possibility some action can be taken here, but only if the group gets taken seriously. I think the information that gets posted needs to be moderated a bit in order for that to happen, as well as the aforementioned website changes.
 

Wayneh

Member
Joined
4 Dec 2014
Messages
96
The website logo and strap line is wholly inappropriate and will be changed.
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,951
Location
UK
The website logo and strap line is wholly inappropriate and will be changed.

And whoever decided to do it in the first place needs to be kicked out of your group. Immature idiots will only do harm to your cause.

Seriously, say 'thanks but no thanks' and get rid of them. Let them have their 'fun' at their own expense and post stupid pictures of dust on top of route planner maps, dirty floors when platforms are gritted, and people standing in vestibules with empty aisles.

We've all been on trains virtually empty and seen people standing by the doors. Fact: Some people choose to stand for a number of reasons, and many people prefer to squash up together to be near the doors than move down. That's not the fault of AGA or any other train operator.

Photos of this are just pathetic, frankly. Especially as the train operator can just come back to you and say 'Where are the photos of the rest of the carriage and the other 3, 7, 11 carriages?'. It's easy to post a photo that fails to reflect the reality of how busy a train really is given how people also have their preferred carriages to travel in.
 
Last edited:

samuelmorris

Established Member
Joined
18 Jul 2013
Messages
5,121
Location
Brentwood, Essex
There have been a few pictures posted that AGA have picked up on and gone 'which carriage number please?' to which I immediately think 'but they all look like that!'

I try not to post stuff that just shows somewhat threadbare seats - it's bad, but every train is like it and it doesn't impact passenger comfort all that much. Seats missing / broken off, however, I think is worthy cause for complaint. A bit like the campaigning for full replacement of every Class 321 - almost all of the truly terrible images posted are of Mk3s or 317s. The 321s tend just to have dirty floors (if it's an issue at all, a cleaning issue, not one of the rolling stock), litter (same here) or overflowing toilets, the latter I'll admit is nasty but again, not really a dealbreaker.

It's not a greatly popular view within the group but while I do think new rolling stock is necessary simply to deal with shortages and allow for potential service frequency improvements, I think replacing the 321s outright is a waste. What they do need is a proper refurbishment, to a somewhat higher standard than the demonstrator - by which I mean plug doors, a different model of PIS that doesn't perpetually go wrong, and an AC traction package. If every Mk3 EMU could be upgraded to this standard for a substantial cost saving over new stock, which I see no reason why not, I say they go for it - 317s first.

Ultimately, I'm mildly annoyed if my train is dirty or full of litter but it bothers me far less than even a 10 minute delay. I would argue service reliability is far and away the biggest problem with the franchise. If the shabby trains are responsible, time to fix that. Fact is though, like with the current Southend branch disruption, there's a lot more to it than that.
 

Wayneh

Member
Joined
4 Dec 2014
Messages
96
Jon. Agree with you which is why I and other members were hacked off with it.

We need to be a serious group with all stakeholders.

It will be amended.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Sam. Dirty floors are merely part of the story.

I have a very important meeting in Doncaster today almost scuppered by 317660 failing at Audley End.

The pantograph failure yesterday bringing Southend services to a halt is inexcusible.

See DAs feed for pics of frozen passengers waiting for buses this morning.
 

samuelmorris

Established Member
Joined
18 Jul 2013
Messages
5,121
Location
Brentwood, Essex
I've seen the pictures. It does look about as grim as you'd expect. Is the toilet story true though? I'm struggling to see how that can really cause the amount of damage that must have occurred for it not to be reparable inside 36 hours...

I was expecting it to delay me yesterday as at peak times I rely on either Southend or Braintree services as no other fast services stop at Shenfield. Luckily I caught the penultimate train of the day to use the line which did ultimately arrive 25 late but got me home largely on time.
I am nonetheless recording my journeys (will post a log of this soon when I get the time) for a 'personal punctuality' sheet and after a rocky start, so far it's not looked too bad for me...
 

chris11256

Member
Joined
27 Dec 2012
Messages
741
Southend Victoria services are still at a halt. AGA are saying over 1/4 mile of overhead cable was torn down. Latest update is no hope of a service today.
 

GB

Established Member
Joined
16 Nov 2008
Messages
6,562
Location
Somewhere
. Latest update is no hope of a service today.

Services expected to resume at 1500...near normal peak anticipated.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I've seen the pictures. It does look about as grim as you'd expect. Is the toilet story true though? I'm struggling to see how that can really cause the amount of damage that must have occurred for it not to be reparable inside 36 hours...

I was expecting it to delay me yesterday as at peak times I rely on either Southend or Braintree services as no other fast services stop at Shenfield. Luckily I caught the penultimate train of the day to use the line which did ultimately arrive 25 late but got me home largely on time.
I am nonetheless recording my journeys (will post a log of this soon when I get the time) for a 'personal punctuality' sheet and after a rocky start, so far it's not looked too bad for me...

Repair work was deferred yesterday in favour of running some kind of service during the evening peak.
 

90sWereBetter

Member
Joined
13 Nov 2012
Messages
1,046
Location
Lost somewhere within Bank-Monument tube station,
One positive thing I've noticed today is that Greater Anglia have changed the announcements about late-running/delayed trains. Instead of the rather condescending "We would like to thank customers for their patience whilst waiting for the xx service to <destination>, which is now expected to depart in x minutes.", we now have "the xx service to <destination> is delayed, and is expected to depart in x minutes. This is due to a <reason>. We are sorry for the inconvenience caused" being used, which is far better.
 
Last edited:

Jala_150

Member
Joined
14 Mar 2013
Messages
27
I've seen the pictures. It does look about as grim as you'd expect. Is the toilet story true though? I'm struggling to see how that can really cause the amount of damage that must have occurred for it not to be reparable inside 36 hours...

Like you I'm sceptical that this is the cause of the dewirement (perhaps the header tank was damaged or overflowed during the dewirement and that is why water was seen coming from the train).
Jumping to conclusions like this without a valid source or proof is another thing that will not help the user group. (Though I'm not sure if the people who posted this are part of the group). Wait for the investigation to publish their findings. For anyone who has not seen the 'toilet story' this was posted on Twitter this morning:
 

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 71

GB

Established Member
Joined
16 Nov 2008
Messages
6,562
Location
Somewhere
The "toilet story" ironically belongs in the toilet. How anyone could think or believe it is beyond me. The train lost its pantograph, damaged multiple registration arms and pulled down 1/4 mile of cable...how does an over flowing toilet do all that?
 

Darandio

Established Member
Joined
24 Feb 2007
Messages
11,145
Location
Redcar
Given the most recent developments in this thread, can't the thread title be updated?

'Greater Anglia, The Good, The Bad & The Guff Discussion'

Because the latter part of my suggested title is exactly what some of the recent stuff is.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top