Hi all, hoping for some advice around an email I received on Thursday:
Greater Anglia's fraud team wrote they have been 'investigating industry data and believe you are potentially not paying full fares... a number of incorrectly purchased tickets showing on (trainline account) that are a breach of our terms and considered fraudulent activity'.
I haven't been caught by a ticket inspector, but the mention of fraud is naturally worrying. They state they 'view this as a serious issue and to contact them with an Outlook to resolve this matter with efficiently'. Is it wishful thinking to read that as their wish to settle this with me by just imposing penalties, since I am keen to do to avoid courts? I am also anxious they may simply view my attempt to do so as a confession/evidence for them to use for a court conviction instead.
Any advice or tips would be really appreciated, incl. for any possible free legal advice since I can ill-afford that. Lastly, they expect a response within a week - does that need to be my full/detailed response, or can I send an acknowledgment to buy me some time to figure things out first?
Greater Anglia's fraud team wrote they have been 'investigating industry data and believe you are potentially not paying full fares... a number of incorrectly purchased tickets showing on (trainline account) that are a breach of our terms and considered fraudulent activity'.
I haven't been caught by a ticket inspector, but the mention of fraud is naturally worrying. They state they 'view this as a serious issue and to contact them with an Outlook to resolve this matter with efficiently'. Is it wishful thinking to read that as their wish to settle this with me by just imposing penalties, since I am keen to do to avoid courts? I am also anxious they may simply view my attempt to do so as a confession/evidence for them to use for a court conviction instead.
Any advice or tips would be really appreciated, incl. for any possible free legal advice since I can ill-afford that. Lastly, they expect a response within a week - does that need to be my full/detailed response, or can I send an acknowledgment to buy me some time to figure things out first?