• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Great Northern Fleet - 379s introduction

Roger B

Established Member
Joined
16 Jun 2018
Messages
1,280
Location
Gatley
I just see it as something else to add problems. Last night for example there was some stepping up going on at King’s Cross, which worked as everything involved was 387s. This time next year as well as 387 and 700/0 there will now be a third type of train involved as well. The service is ropey enough as it is nowadays - yesterday was very rough round the edges pretty much all day for little obvious reason - so anything that makes things more complicated is a negative step.

I’m not saying it’s a massive problem, just that it’s introducing a new issue that hasn’t existed since 2018, to add to a very long list of performance issues that the GN now has.

In short, they struggle to make the timetable work now, so having an inflexibility added is going to be unhelpful, especially if the fleet size is still going to be cut to the bone to allow uplifts elsewhere, as seems to be the case.

Worth remembering the GN still won’t have as many units (43) as they did in 2018 with the 365s (50).
But with 700s having 8 or 12 carriages, perhaps not many fewer carriages, or maybe more?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bramling

Veteran Member
Joined
5 Mar 2012
Messages
20,426
Location
Hertfordshire / Teesdale
But with 700s having 8 or 12 carriages, perhaps not many fewer carriages, or maybe more?

The comparison I made was between the 365/387 fleet in May 2018, and the 387/379 fleet that will be present this time next year.

What it doesn’t take into account is there’s now an element of crossover between the GN and TL fleets. Also generally the diagrams are a bit tighter than they were in 2018, with performance now suffering as a result. So you’re correct that there are some 700s now working some of the fast Peterborough extras.

My issue is that with GTR struggling to turn out the required number of trains now, so how are things going to look in a year’s time with the reintroduced peak extras starting next week and then, in time, a reduction in fleet flexibility?
 

stottyuk

Member
Joined
30 Dec 2017
Messages
119
Hello, do we know which 387s have already gone south and the ones that are earmarked to go by the new timetable.

Please and thank you
 

Southern Dvr

Member
Joined
13 Oct 2010
Messages
995
Reports the ex GWR livery units aren’t being reliveried but just having Southern badges added.
 
Last edited:

xxjcz

Member
Joined
14 Mar 2024
Messages
26
Location
london
Reports the ex GWR livery units aren’t being reliveried but just having Southern badges added.
They will be aurora refurbished tho along with the /3’s after they finish the 377/7s and /5’s whether or not they will touch the interior there I’m not sure.

Also the 379s will be aurored aswell according to a southern worker on fb saying all electrostars belonging to GTR will be aurored.
 

TT-ONR-NRN

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2016
Messages
12,887
Location
Cambridge
Not my photo, credits to the group

IMG_3026.jpeg

Image shows a Southern logo slapped on a Class 387 (GW livery). Its in the centre of the bodyshell. The faded GWR logos at each ends are still visible.
 

Sutton in Ant

Member
Joined
2 Mar 2021
Messages
256
Location
Sutton Surrey
I posted that a couple of weeks ago. All 25 won't arrive until Dec 25 I believe.
Well yes. I do understand that. But, I needed to get confirmation from Southern Railway themselves. I didn't want to put in false rumours which I admit I have done during the past until it gets confirmed by news or by emailing the train company themselves.
 

Top