Spekejunction
Member
- Joined
- 14 Aug 2014
- Messages
- 100
Thankyou for your patience with me..as Roger Ford says..We’re dealing in seasonsThe text is outlined in post #1028
Thankyou for your patience with me..as Roger Ford says..We’re dealing in seasonsThe text is outlined in post #1028
Got to agree where the drivers are coming from to drive any extra services. Since the driver agreement TL and GN cancellations have rocketed most days. There is clearly still a huge issue.Leave the GWR units alone!
I find the interior on those rather nicer than those with the Southern interior, and part of that is they don’t have LED lighting.
== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
Not sure GN commuters would be aware of anything afoot, as there hasn’t been much if any publicity.
Of greater concern will be reintroducing some of the remaining services lost thanks to Covid (which the 379s may support), and having enough drivers to actually run the timetable (for which the 379s may be a hindrance if it places a training burden on the already stretched rosters).
The last thing I want is more screens, especially if they are going to keep rotating through several pages of waffle. If they stayed on one page displaying tube info or connections at the next station then fair enough.I would like to see the DfT make these screens show real time info as seen elsewhere around the world. They are all able to be updated over the air, so it's just building the software to pull the open data as required.
Even the Berlin subway trains manage it and with many more screens too, allowing everyone to see them.
The 387 I'm currently on is just displaying the weekend engineering work info I mentioned above - as a static image. This is a big improvement as (a) it is fairly useful information (although I'm too far away to actually read it) and (b) things aren't flickering away in my peripheral vision.
Hopefully this is a change that applies to all the units.
From the December 2024 timetable thread, there are more services for great northern in December, an extra from Peterborough to London and a couple extra from Letchworth to London I believe, but you'll want to check the main thread.Got to agree where the drivers are coming from to drive any extra services. Since the driver agreement TL and GN cancellations have rocketed most days. There is clearly still a huge issue.
The Baldock expresses would be very welcome for extra capacity as rush hour for Hitchin is near impossible for any seats and must be close to pre COVID capacity.
I Won't hold out much hope of any extra services in the near future, 379 or whatever.
I think they have no choice, by my very basic and rough calculations they need at least some 379's in service for the December timetable unless they plan on running 4 coach trains in the peaks or increasing fleet utilisation beyond what would be considered reliably achievable.Has the timetable for the Class 379 move to GN changed?
Is it still December 2024 ?
3 extra Baldock peaks in each direction running from Letchworth instead of Baldock. The additional Peterborough peak service is due to run from October, it is related to the class 379 roll out as I understand it so that could change.From the December 2024 timetable thread, there are more services for great northern in December, an extra from Peterborough to London and a couple extra from Letchworth to London I believe, but you'll want to check the main thread.
It probably crashed!![]()
PLEASE NOT MODS. Don’t let the DFT get to modify some good units!
Sadly, maybeThis morning's train was back to flashing it up for a few seconds before moving on to irrelevant nonsense.
Is the clue in the headcodes?I think this was 379s out on a shakedown run yesterday.
Realtime Trains | 5Y79 1940 Hornsey E.M.U.D. to Welwyn G.C C.S.D. | 03/10/2024
Real-time train running information for 5Y79 1940 departure from Hornsey E.M.U.D. to Welwyn G.C C.S.D. on 03/10/2024. From Realtime Trains, an independent source of train running info for Great Britain.www.realtimetrains.co.uk
Realtime Trains | 5E79 2105 Welwyn G.C C.S.D. to Hornsey E.M.U.D. | 03/10/2024
Real-time train running information for 5E79 2105 departure from Welwyn G.C C.S.D. to Hornsey E.M.U.D. on 03/10/2024. From Realtime Trains, an independent source of train running info for Great Britain.www.realtimetrains.co.uk
Hornsey to Welwyn Garden City and return

I did see two 379's being prepped for something at around 6pm yesterday at Hornsey so it seems likely.I think this was 379s out on a shakedown run yesterday.
Realtime Trains | 5Y79 1940 Hornsey E.M.U.D. to Welwyn G.C C.S.D. | 03/10/2024
Real-time train running information for 5Y79 1940 departure from Hornsey E.M.U.D. to Welwyn G.C C.S.D. on 03/10/2024. From Realtime Trains, an independent source of train running info for Great Britain.www.realtimetrains.co.uk
Realtime Trains | 5E79 2105 Welwyn G.C C.S.D. to Hornsey E.M.U.D. | 03/10/2024
Real-time train running information for 5E79 2105 departure from Welwyn G.C C.S.D. to Hornsey E.M.U.D. on 03/10/2024. From Realtime Trains, an independent source of train running info for Great Britain.www.realtimetrains.co.uk
Hornsey to Welwyn Garden City and return
I would think that it will be in the next 3 to 4 weeks and they will be starting on the King's Cross to Peterborough peak-time services and expanding from there.Is there an update on when the 379s will be introduced into service?
Have many drivers received training on the 379s yet? Are any of them likely to be ready for service in a month's time?I would think that it will be in the next 3 to 4 weeks and they will be starting on the King's Cross to Peterborough peak-time services and expanding from there.
No. I am not jumping the gun. I had an email from Great Northern when I enquired about this and I was told that it will be anytime until December 24. I will let you read this as evidence. Also, is there any evidence from you to suggest that it will not happen till December 2025. If there is. I would like to see as I have shown you the evidence I have shown you?Have many drivers received training on the 379s yet? Are any of them likely to be ready for service in a month's time?
An informed posting on the wnxx forum says that two pairs will be in service from December 2024, with others from an initial fleet of 10 used for training, and that the full fleet, and 387 cascade, might not be in place until December 2025, so I think your post is jumping the gun.
December is correct, as things currently stand.Have many drivers received training on the 379s yet? Are any of them likely to be ready for service in a month's time?
An informed posting on the wnxx forum says that two pairs will be in service from December 2024, with others from an initial fleet of 10 used for training, and that the full fleet, and 387 cascade, might not be in place until December 2025, so I think your post is jumping the gun.
Like it was written in the email.December is correct, as things currently stand.
I’ve no idea I’m afraid as I’ve not looked at your email, I have no need to. I was replying to JonathanH, who was replying to your post where you said in the next 3-4 weeks, which would be October / November not December.Like it was written in the email.
I was saying it to be the earliest but it will more likely be December and not December 25 that was Jonathan H was saying.I’ve no idea I’m afraid as I’ve not looked at your email, I have no need to. I was replying to JonathanH, who was replying to your post where you said in the next 3-4 weeks, which would be October / November not December.
Yes, I agree that the source I was quoting was saying that December 2024 will be the first units in service. The bit about jumping the gun was your implication of a November 2024 start rather than a December 2024 start, which has subsequently been confirmed by 'Skimble19'.I was saying it to be the earliest but it will more likely be December and not December 25 that was Jonathan H was saying.
5944 said:Two pairs in service from December timetable change, another three pairs available for exams, driver training, etc. So 10 units needed by the beginning of December. I'm not sure about the timescales for the following year, but all will be needed in service by December 2025 to allow 387s to be cascaded south of the river.
What I was trying to say is that I think that it will come in Oct or Nov 24. It didn't mean that it was definite for Oct or Nov 24. It will be more likely for the Dec timetable 2024.Yes, I agree that the source I was quoting was saying that December 2024 will be the first units in service. The bit about jumping the gun was your implication of a November 2024 start rather than a December 2024 start, which has subsequently been confirmed by 'Skimble19'.
The quote from the wnxx forum https://www.wnxxforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=1026902 was:
None yet!Have many drivers received training on the 379s yet?
Will be interesting to know how many differences there are between class 379 and class 387 cabs?None yet!
Also eager to see what they’ve done with the interior, a dry clean at the very least? Hopefully an Aurora upgrade too although 387172/174 and the 387/3’s havent been done either so will be interesting to see whether Porterbrook extend the refurb plan to these units.Will be interesting to know how many differences there are between class 379 and class 387 cabs?
New route maps and GN signs inside and that's likely it from what they originally stated. Add GN stickers outside and that'll be it probably until all the 387s get the lighting upgrades and new displays.Also eager to see what they’ve done with the interior, a dry clean at the very least? Hopefully an Aurora upgrade too although 387172/174 and the 387/3’s havent been done either so will be interesting to see whether Porterbrook extend the refurb plan to these units.
No USB ports if I remember correctly.They already have power sockets (can't remember if they were the ones with two USB-A ports also)