Aren't those Northern services?They’re also going to be operating some peak time services between Leeds & Hebden Bridge in the next couple of weeks or so.
GC have run Calder Valley peak services for Northern for a while. It makes sense as it aids social distancing and means that the units Northern don't have to use can be used elsewhere. There are Leeds - Bradford Interchange peak time additionals being run by Northern now which used these units.Aren't those Northern services?
GC have run Calder Valley peak services for Northern for a while. It makes sense as it aids social distancing and means that the units Northern don't have to use can be used elsewhere. There are Leeds - Bradford Interchange peak time additionals being run by Northern now which used these units.
I think the difference comes down to who gives permission and when. Chiltern/WSMR just did it and got told off by the DfT for not asking first. Presumably GC/Northern have the right say-so in advance.Didn't Chiltern/WSMR get into trouble for doing basically that? I guess we are in odd times.
They do.I think the difference comes down to who gives permission and when. Chiltern/WSMR just did it and got told off by the DfT for not asking first. Presumably GC/Northern have the right say-so in advance.
GC have run Calder Valley peak services for Northern for a while. It makes sense as it aids social distancing and means that the units Northern don't have to use can be used elsewhere. There are Leeds - Bradford Interchange peak time additionals being run by Northern now which used these units.
Didn't Chiltern/WSMR get into trouble for doing basically that? I guess we are in odd times.
I think the difference comes down to who gives permission and when. Chiltern/WSMR just did it and got told off by the DfT for not asking first. Presumably GC/Northern have the right say-so in advance.
You are correct. I over-simplified and forgot the detail that the 'GC services' are actually run on Northern's licence/safety case.Isn't there a subtle difference?
Chiltern/WSMR was using WSMR services (Wrexham-Marylebone) to fulfill some components of Chiltern's Train Service requirement, by stopping them at extra stations.
Northern / GC is Northern (kind-of) sub-leasing GC's rolling stock during times when it is not required for a GC service; it is not using a GC train path to fulfill Northern's calls; just 'borrowing' their stock for an hour or two each day.
All that is happening, as my post alluded to, is that Northern are running a service that just so happens to use a 180. They've been doing it for about four years. It's not a GC service, unlike in the WSMR example.Didn't Chiltern/WSMR get into trouble for doing basically that? I guess we are in odd times.
GC didn't run them did they? They are still Northern services that utilise a GC unit that would otherwise be sat idle during this period.
Heard a manager on a conference call the other day "Barton Main Line... Operated by Northern, crewed by TPE and run with an EMR unit". Any more like that?
They've been doing it for about four years. It's not a GC service, unlike in the WSMR example.
Isn't there a subtle difference?
Heard a manager on a conference call the other day "Barton Main Line... Operated by Northern, crewed by TPE and run with an EMR unit". Any more like that?
The afternoon service hasn't been worked by a 180 in a while, but the morning one was. It was still in the Working Timetable as 2T99 0726 Halifax to Leeds in December 2019, and it's in May 2020 as as 2T99 0708 Hebden Bridge to Leeds. Of course, it doesn't seem to have been actually running since March. I can't remember what time the afternoon one was, so I don't know if it still exists in another form, such as a Hull to Halifax service (one departs Leeds at 1727), but it doesn't terminate at Hebden Bridge any more.I didn't think the 180 services had operated in more recent times?
The GC set on the PM peak service was at 1725 to HBD. The hire in was ended and the service changed to a 153+158 operated by a Leeds crew which went empty back to Leeds in either the May or Dec 2018 timetable change. Then in Dec 2019 the path was taken up by the Hull - Halifax service leaving Leeds at 1727.The afternoon service hasn't been worked by a 180 in a while, but the morning one was. It was still in the Working Timetable as 2T99 0726 Halifax to Leeds in December 2019, and it's in May 2020 as as 2T99 0708 Hebden Bridge to Leeds. Of course, it doesn't seem to have been actually running since March. I can't remember what time the afternoon one was, so I don't know if it still exists in another form, such as a Hull to Halifax service (one departs Leeds at 1727), but it doesn't terminate at Hebden Bridge any more.
From what I have heard, they are filling in the gaps between the 2-hourly Leeds - Preston service as far as Hebden Bridge.Anyone got times for these services?
Heard a manager on a conference call the other day "Barton Main Line... Operated by Northern, crewed by TPE and run with an EMR unit". Any more like that?
Correct. Confirmed today by a directorFrom what I have heard, they are filling in the gaps between the 2-hourly Leeds - Preston service as far as Hebden Bridge.
I read that hiring their unit to Northern may be a way of giving GC a small bit of the franchise support money without breaching the undertaking not to subsidise an open access operator. Any truth in that, or is it just to help with social distancing by making use of a unit otherwise standing idle?From what I have heard, they are filling in the gaps between the 2-hourly Leeds - Preston service as far as Hebden Bridge.
Where did you read?I read that hiring their unit to Northern may be a way of giving GC a small bit of the franchise support money without breaching the undertaking not to subsidise an open access operator. Any truth in that, or is it just to help with social distancing by making use of a unit otherwise standing idle?