• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Goodbye National Express East Anglia.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

317666

Established Member
Joined
4 Sep 2009
Messages
1,775
Location
East Anglia
I always found NXEA to be quite good on the West Anglia. Usually on time and reasonably-priced off-peak fares. I'm certainly not pleased about the lack of 317s on a Saturday with the timetable introduced from December last year, however.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Sep 2010
Messages
35,924
It appears the only NX Senior Manager to survive is Andrew Goodrum, Customer Service.......now there is a contradiction......he is about as much use as an arsonist in a paper factory!

More dark days ahead!!!!!

Presumably you know him well to be able to make that comment????? He's actually one of the good guys.

And you missed at least 2 other existing NX directors in the new team.
 

iphone76

Member
Joined
6 Nov 2010
Messages
988
Location
South Essex
I am counting down the seconds.

Looking at their website, although they are not promising the earth, they seem to be serious about improving the maintenance of the fleet and customer service. (I know they all say this).

Tonight it has taken almost two hours to get from Liverpool Street to Wickford (due to OHLE issues caused by an attempted theft). Although the problem was not down to them, the driver made no announcements whatsoever. (Even to confirm once we had cleared the problem to let us know we would be returning to line speed, or provide any sort of update).

The new lot must be better. (Sorry for rant - it just takes it out of you).

PS - I do believe they have issued a pamphlet summing up their achievements over the past 7 years. (I am not joking)
 

ginger

Member
Joined
20 Oct 2011
Messages
276
Presumably you know him well to be able to make that comment????? He's actually one of the good guys.

And you missed at least 2 other existing NX directors in the new team.

Actually I do....and in my experience in his role he has been pretty shocking! He may very well portray himself as "one of the good guys" but in reality he is beavering away behind the scenes protecting his own arse! Trust me he cares NOTHING for Customers!

Now in his defence, he probably had to get everything approved by the 2 bullys Chivers/Phillips....but many people who have had dealings with him have compared him to Peter Mandleson as his "so called" ability to spin himself out of impossible positions falls flat on its face!

Who are the other 2?????
 

bnm

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2009
Messages
4,992
I know, what a fantastically imaginative name that was!! Hats off the the guy that took ages thinking of that!

Don't know who came up with the name but I believe it was Richard Bowker, late of National Express Group, who decided to ditch 'one'. He was last heard of playing trains in the Middle-East desert....
 

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Joined
25 Jul 2011
Messages
7,038
Location
Gloucester
Don't know who came up with the name but I believe it was Richard Bowker, late of National Express Group, who decided to ditch 'one'. He was last heard of playing trains in the Middle-East desert....

Ah right. I'm just wondering what made him think of 'one'?!
 

Zoe

Established Member
Joined
22 Aug 2008
Messages
5,905
Ah right. I'm just wondering what made him think of 'one'?!
I doubt he thought of "one" though as he was the Chairman of the SRA when the franchise was awarded and wouldn't have had anything to do with the selection of branding by the TOC.
 

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Joined
25 Jul 2011
Messages
7,038
Location
Gloucester
I doubt he thought of "one" though as he was the Chairman of the SRA when the franchise was awarded and wouldn't have had anything to do with the selection of branding by the TOC.

Ah right.

Do names really matter? It's not like the public have a choice on most routes...

Not at all. It's merely an interest. As is the case with most things on this forum, and what rail enthusiasts generally have.
 
Last edited:

ginger

Member
Joined
20 Oct 2011
Messages
276
PS - I do believe they have issued a pamphlet summing up their achievements over the past 7 years. (I am not joking)

You are joking!!!!! Seeing is believing!!! the breathtaking arrogance of these sharks needs to be seen to be believed!!!!!!
 

WestCoast

Established Member
Joined
19 Jun 2010
Messages
5,665
Location
South Yorkshire
Not at all. It's merely an interest. As is the case with most things on this forum, and what rail enthusiasts generally have.

I just think the TOCs already spend far too much on branding and corporate image. I'd rather have unified and consistent brands across the network, to further integration and cohesiveness

Alas, I'm dreaming...
 

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Joined
25 Jul 2011
Messages
7,038
Location
Gloucester
I believe it was to symbolise the joining up of the old Anglia, Great Eastern and West Anglia services into 'one' company.

I can see his drift, fair play.

I just think the TOCs already spend far too much on branding and corporate image. I'd rather have unified and consistent brands across the network, to further integration and cohesiveness

Alas, I'm dreaming...

Indeed, but there is nothing worse than having a nameless, brandless operator :P
 
Last edited:

WestCoast

Established Member
Joined
19 Jun 2010
Messages
5,665
Location
South Yorkshire
Indeed, but there is nothing worse than having a nameless, brandless operator :P

I've always thought the most effective TOC names are relatively short, which reflect the region and perhaps the type of route they serve. Take "CrossCountry" - simple and effective.

I don't really think adding "Arriva" contributes to a positive brand image, but that's just my opinion.
 

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,856
Indeed, but there is nothing worse than having a nameless, brandless operator :P

Just so long as the passengers are served well and trains are on time, and staff are kept in order, it doesn't matter about rand / identity. They are there to run trains, not paint them all pretty colours...
 

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Joined
25 Jul 2011
Messages
7,038
Location
Gloucester
I've always thought the most effective TOC names are relatively short, which reflect the region and perhaps the type of route they serve. Take "CrossCountry" - simple and effective.

I don't really think adding "Arriva" contributes to a positive brand image, but that's just my opinion.

CrossCountry isn't too bad because it adds a bit of interest, and is a great TOC.

Just so long as the passengers are served well and trains are on time, and staff are kept in order, it doesn't matter about rand / identity. They are there to run trains, not paint them all pretty colours...

I understand that, as long as the service is good and the trains are clean and comfortable, but they'll still need a name hehe.
 
Last edited:

Zoe

Established Member
Joined
22 Aug 2008
Messages
5,905
Would anyone like to see DB branding used on XC in the future?
 

WestCoast

Established Member
Joined
19 Jun 2010
Messages
5,665
Location
South Yorkshire
Would anyone like to see DB branding used on XC in the future?

I've noticed that DB, NS and SNCF like to keep their home market operations separate from the UK brands if at all possible. It's still Arriva with XC really.

The operations by their very nature are run differently anyway, there aren't that many similarities. There is an exception with DB Schenker which is ran as European rail freight.
 

F Great Eastern

Established Member
Joined
2 Apr 2009
Messages
3,851
Location
UK
I'm also glad to see them go, as a daily commuter who returned to their car before moving out of the area because of the destruction the company caused to my daily commute with their general attitude towards their customers.

They have spent very little since they got the franchise, all of the stock has been let get in a very bad condition with no TLC being showed to it in the slightest, nothing has really been refurbished, well technically it has been but it doesn't look like it has as it was so minor, and generally assets have been stripped and spending cut back in pretty much every area that was possible.

Just look at the number of different liveries, styles of station signage going about that all date back to various different eras with no coherent approach to any of this. As for the trains themselves, some of them haven't been cleaned in a good while and are always dirty, some of the MK3's windows are so hazy it's near impossible to see out of them, CLEAN THEM. There was one 360 that was full of graffiti on the front that I saw, and 3 weeks later when I was back in the area it was still there!

Last week I heard them making announcements at Liverpool Street about engineering works that could affect my journey and to get more information I should call them or consult their website. I go to the ticket office as the information desk was not staffed and ask them what they are about and they say they can't tell me as they only sell tickets and I need to call them or check the website.

The whole company is a joke and I'm glad to be rid of them, even if the new owners actually start to try and make the fleet presentable and actually CLEAN them and maintain the interiors, that will already be a HUGE IMPROVEMENT.
 

Welshman

Established Member
Joined
11 Mar 2010
Messages
3,068
Just so long as the passengers are served well and trains are on time, and staff are kept in order, it doesn't matter about rand / identity. They are there to run trains, not paint them all pretty colours...

Oh, I don't know. In its heyday, GNER didn't have customers/passengers, but disciples.

I think the brand is important, and if the new, proposed GNER services ever get off the ground, I think they will pick-up a lot of respect via the name.
 

Michael.Y

Established Member
Joined
14 Oct 2011
Messages
1,437
Just so long as the passengers are served well and trains are on time, and staff are kept in order, it doesn't matter about rand / identity. They are there to run trains, not paint them all pretty colours...

Amen. Although there are some nice liveries out there, most are just corporate logo billboards and the nicer liveries (GW pre-First) get abandoned in favour of something crappy and garish (GW post-First)
 

curb

Member
Joined
9 Jan 2012
Messages
24
It always amazes me that every five years the trains get re-branded, it's just throwing money away, although it's nice to have freshly painted/de-called trains, sometimes they've only just finished re-branding and they're having to start over again.

As said on here as well, the company in control might change, but the on-board staff are the same, the stations are controlled by the same people, the trains are maintained by the same people at the same depot.

Surely the logical thing to do would be to call each area something simple, ie East Anglian Railways, and any company wanting to bid for that franchise has to take on that name and branding, then they could take their time doing an upgrade of the stock that actually needs it rather than having to rush through a blanket refurb of every train.

You couldn't think of a worse system if you tried.
 

transmanche

Established Member
Joined
27 Feb 2011
Messages
6,021
Surely the logical thing to do would be to call each area something simple, ie East Anglian Railways, and any company wanting to bid for that franchise has to take on that name and branding
I think we're part-way there with Merseyrail, ScotRail and London Overground. Just got to do the same for the rest!
 

tbtc

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Dec 2008
Messages
18,060
Location
Reston City Centre
It always amazes me that every five years the trains get re-branded, it's just throwing money away, although it's nice to have freshly painted/de-called trains, sometimes they've only just finished re-branding and they're having to start over again.

Things like trains/ stations will need repainting every few years though, the paint jobs aren't going to last forever.

Daft to repaint a train that's only just been painted, yes, but a "rolling" programme would avoid that
 

bnm

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2009
Messages
4,992
it doesn't matter about rand / identity. They are there to run trains, not paint them all pretty colours...

Are the South Africans looking to muscle in on UK rail franchises?

Sorry. I'll get me coat.....
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Amen. Although there are some nice liveries out there, most are just corporate logo billboards and the nicer liveries (GW pre-First) get abandoned in favour of something crappy and garish (GW post-First)

Hear, hear. My all time favourite livery is that of Great Western Trains' 'Merlin'....

url
 
Last edited:

curb

Member
Joined
9 Jan 2012
Messages
24
Things like trains/ stations will need repainting every few years though, the paint jobs aren't going to last forever.

Daft to repaint a train that's only just been painted, yes, but a "rolling" programme would avoid that

I think that was my point though?

"then they could take their time doing an upgrade of the stock that actually needs it rather than having to rush through a blanket refurb of every train."
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top