• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GN/GE Joint Line Diversions - October 2010 Help Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Timer

Established Member
Joined
24 Aug 2009
Messages
3,702
Location
On a plane somewhere at 35,000
If anyone is planning to spend any time at the following stations during the GN/GE Joint line diversions on the first two Saturdays in October, and would be willing to provide some "as running" train times please would they PM me.

The stations are :-

Peterborough
Spalding
Grantham
Sleaford
Lincoln
Newark
Retford
Doncaster

Thanks
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Aictos

Established Member
Joined
28 Apr 2009
Messages
10,403
PM sent, certainly looking into doing these this year if possible anyway.

Edit: just checked TRUST and nothing yet on diversions, just the normal services plus the RHTT working.
 

trains56

New Member
Joined
18 Sep 2009
Messages
4
Hi does anyone have any timings for the RHTT in the Great Eastern region this year please?

Thanks

:D:D
 

Aictos

Established Member
Joined
28 Apr 2009
Messages
10,403
I already have a copy of the complete diverted train plan.

Okay, how long before the info is entered into the various journey planners?

OT, any chance you could drop me a email please - currently struggling to send you a pm (doesn't help when I'm mobile I guess!)
 
Last edited:

Welshman

Established Member
Joined
11 Mar 2010
Messages
3,068
They're in the East Coast journey planner, but the full amended timetables are not posted yet. Indeed, the journey planner for the 9th October shows services after about noon are travelling non -stop Doncaster-Peterborough but taking almost 2 hours whereas, the engineering works section states normal services are running all that day!

Interestingly, the EC journey planner advises customers from Hull to KX on that Saturday afternoon to get the London train to Doncaster, then change on to a Northern stopping service to Sheffield, then via EMT to St Pancras, and walk from St Pancras to KX! And it's still quicker than staying on the Hull Trains throughout! So which way are Hull Trains going, as some are booked to stop at Retford and Grantham as normal, but take almost 5 hours for the through journey?
 

metromuppet

Member
Joined
2 Jul 2010
Messages
63
Location
Sussex
If anyone is planning to spend any time at the following stations during the GN/GE Joint line diversions on the first two Saturdays in October, and would be willing to provide some "as running" train times please would they PM me.

The stations are :-

Peterborough
Spalding
Grantham
Sleaford
Lincoln
Newark
Retford
Doncaster

Thanks

Is this taking place on the first saturday of October? I cant find any mention of it on eastcoast journey planner but I can for the following saturday.
 

Welshman

Established Member
Joined
11 Mar 2010
Messages
3,068
Interestingly the full amended timetables are now posted on the EC website.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,419
Location
Yorkshire
If GC are diverted, I'll do that. I know it costs a lot more on GC as GC don't do AP tickets, but it'll be well worth it to get Valentas.

I've had Askern and Cambridge on the same day on GC (the train was wedged but fortunately I was next to the window beside one of the power cars so that didn't bother me at all), and I've also done via Lincoln on GC too. I've also gone via Gateshead and Stillington. I've not yet had the Hertford loop on GC.

I think GC should do a Valenta farewell tour, outward as a ECML diversion tour (Askern/Lincoln/Cambridge/Hertford) and return on the ECML itself (or vice versa) ;)
 

sprinterguy

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Mar 2010
Messages
11,573
Location
Macclesfield
Does this therefore mean that on Saturday October 2nd, London/Peterborough-Edinburgh passengers travelling East Coat will be subject to TWO diversions: Peterborough to Doncaster via Lincoln, and Newcastle to Edinburgh via Carlisle and Carstairs (As it is supposedly the final weekend of the Tyne Valley diversions)? That's got to make for quite an extended journey time!
 

Aictos

Established Member
Joined
28 Apr 2009
Messages
10,403
If GC are diverted, I'll do that. I know it costs a lot more on GC as GC don't do AP tickets, but it'll be well worth it to get Valentas.

I've had Askern and Cambridge on the same day on GC (the train was wedged but fortunately I was next to the window beside one of the power cars so that didn't bother me at all), and I've also done via Lincoln on GC too. I've also gone via Gateshead and Stillington. I've not yet had the Hertford loop on GC.

I think GC should do a Valenta farewell tour, outward as a ECML diversion tour (Askern/Lincoln/Cambridge/Hertford) and return on the ECML itself (or vice versa) ;)

I've done the Hertford Loop on planned diversions with FCC, unplanned diversions with FCC, normal services with FCC and planned diversions with East Coast.

Still I would be more then contend to do the farewell tour even if it means spending two nights in Sunderland.
 

Failed Unit

Established Member
Joined
26 Jan 2009
Messages
9,803
Location
Central Belt
The timetables are now on East Coast's website. The 1020 service ex London is the last one to use the normal route. The 1030 is the first to use the diversion (to Inverness).

Some interesting feature is that the 91's will also be diverted. I haven't seen a 91 going through Lincoln since BR's days! 2 hours from Newark - Peterborough! In the days of BR some services would have stopped at Sleaford (for passengers need Grantham) and Lincoln (for passengers needing Newark and Retford). Only HST's could do this as the 91's won't fit on the platform, the HST won't either but it has grandfather rights.
 

andylloyd

Member
Joined
19 Feb 2007
Messages
441
Location
Gateshead, Tyne & Wear
The timetables are now on East Coast's website. The 1020 service ex London is the last one to use the normal route. The 1030 is the first to use the diversion (to Inverness).

Some interesting feature is that the 91's will also be diverted. I haven't seen a 91 going through Lincoln since BR's days! 2 hours from Newark - Peterborough! In the days of BR some services would have stopped at Sleaford (for passengers need Grantham) and Lincoln (for passengers needing Newark and Retford). Only HST's could do this as the 91's won't fit on the platform, the HST won't either but it has grandfather rights.
I remember doing this divert back in November last year.
Diverted from donny down to Lincoln then through to Peterboro ;) HST all the way from the toon.
This was the faster option rather than changing at Newark or Grantham for a bus then a 91 blah blah blah :lol::lol:
 

Aictos

Established Member
Joined
28 Apr 2009
Messages
10,403
Looks like I'm going to be busy tonight then working out what trains I'm going to get then, :)
 

trainfanatic

Member
Joined
4 Jan 2010
Messages
210
Location
Big Sky Country - Sleaford
Just a few queries re these diversions....

1) Any electric services being 'dragged'?

2) Will southbounds use the Sleaford avoider?

3) Any freight diversions?

4) What route will Hull train services take?

Thanks
 

andylloyd

Member
Joined
19 Feb 2007
Messages
441
Location
Gateshead, Tyne & Wear
Just a few queries re these diversions....

1) Any electric services being 'dragged'?

2) Will southbounds use the Sleaford avoider?

3) Any freight diversions?

4) What route will Hull train services take?

Thanks

To the best of my knowledge there were no drags last year :(
Southbounds did use the avoider line ;)
There were some freight diversions too from what I witnessed en-route and from what I heard.
Hull trains i'm not to sure of. Maybe they may use the diverted lines too?
 

Old Timer

Established Member
Joined
24 Aug 2009
Messages
3,702
Location
On a plane somewhere at 35,000
Just a few queries re these diversions....

1) Any electric services being 'dragged'?

2) Will southbounds use the Sleaford avoider?

3) Any freight diversions?

4) What route will Hull train services take?

Thanks
1) Yes, with the electric dead

2) Yes

3) Possibly - Some Sat workings are Q - Watch this space

4) Peterborough - Grantham - Sleaford - Lincoln - Newark - Retford - Doncaster is what is currently being advised to me. - Watch this space nearer the time.



For clarity, I meant to write 2nd and 3rd weekends in October in my original post (9th & 16th).
 

Aictos

Established Member
Joined
28 Apr 2009
Messages
10,403
Well I'm certainly going to ensure I get both weekends off then, I did the joint line last year on a 156 but getting a HST is very rare, :)

There's a fair bit of track I've still to do so am looking forward to these!!!

Just to confirm, the diversions are on the 9th and 16th October only according to TRUST.
 
Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,419
Location
Yorkshire
Any news on GC? I heard some may be terminating at Doncaster...:|
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top