• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Glenrothes with Thornton station renaming campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrainViation

Member
Joined
25 Jun 2025
Messages
302
Location
Glenrothes
I noticed an article yesterday, which explained a certain frustration among residents of Glenrothes (including myself (im not in the article)), of the inadequately and poorly named “Glenrothes with Thornton” station.

The station itself is situated around 3 miles from the town of Glenrothes, and at the south of Thornton. Most commuters from Glenrothes would rather commute from the closer-by Markinch station, even though it has nothing to do with the neighbouring town. (It kind of reminds me of Ryanair’s route to Brussels, where instead of landing in the centre, you land at Brussels Charleroi, and have to pay extra to get an overcrowded bus for 40 minutes to the actual city itself.)

I am in favour of the name change from “Glenrothes with Thornton” to just “Thornton”, as it makes so much more logical sense. Let me know your thoughts and opinions on this thread.

Here is the link to the article covering exactly this: https://www.fifetoday.co.uk/news/po...hree-miles-from-town-its-named-after-5420298#
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BeijingDave

Member
Joined
26 Jul 2019
Messages
804
Not really in favour of changing unique names to names for which there are multiple instances up and down the country (Thornton).

There are two stations in the north west alone with Thornton in the name (Cleveleys and Stanlow) and probably 50 villages with the name Thornton.

Keep it unique in my opinion.
 

Sealink

Member
Joined
16 Aug 2006
Messages
886
Location
Bridport
Curious as to why it it Glenrothes with Thornton and not "Glenrothes & Thornton".
I think Markinch used to be Markinch for Glenrothes, again why not Markinch & Glenrothes etc.
 

Djgr

Established Member
Joined
30 Jul 2018
Messages
3,415
I think some people have too much time on their hands.
 

TrainViation

Member
Joined
25 Jun 2025
Messages
302
Location
Glenrothes
Curious as to why it it Glenrothes with Thornton and not "Glenrothes & Thornton".
I think Markinch used to be Markinch for Glenrothes, again why not Markinch & Glenrothes etc.
After a little google, I found that the only previous name for Markinch station was "Mitchell Terrace", and didn't find anything about Glenrothes.
 

Farigiraf

Established Member
Joined
23 Jul 2023
Messages
1,211
Location
Bridge on the River Cam
In the past when trains terminated there, I would've been against this proposal. The village of Thornton, Fife is a less known destination compared to Glenrothes, so the unfamiliar traveller wishing to travel to Fife may recognise which train they need if the destination is Glenrothes, but potentially not Thornton. On the other hand, the number of travellers who are travelling to Fife without time to check the calling points of a train service is likely to be small.

Now that every train continues to Leven, it doesn't really matter. However with the typical costs of station renaming (potentially in the low millions) nowadays, you could make much more significant improvements with that money.
 
Last edited:

rower40

Member
Joined
1 Jan 2008
Messages
583
Glenrothes Road Parkway? Would have been the obvious choice if this were on the Great Western.
 

BeijingDave

Member
Joined
26 Jul 2019
Messages
804
Curious as to why it it Glenrothes with Thornton and not "Glenrothes & Thornton".
I think Markinch used to be Markinch for Glenrothes, again why not Markinch & Glenrothes etc.
For is usually used when the station is in one area but is a convenient alighting point for another e.g. Sankey for Penketh
 

cjw714

Member
Joined
4 Nov 2024
Messages
127
Location
South-East Asia
Curious as to why it it Glenrothes with Thornton and not "Glenrothes & Thornton".
I think Markinch used to be Markinch for Glenrothes, again why not Markinch & Glenrothes etc.
Am I right in thinking it's the only National Rail station with 'with' in its name?
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,414
Location
Yorks
The locals will know which station they want anyway, so it doesn't really matter to them.

I guess the question is whether it causes confusion for incomers. Are there lots of passengers going to this station for Glenrothes because of the name, when they would be better served going to another station ?
 

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Joined
10 Nov 2015
Messages
5,702
Location
Hope Valley
"Thornton, not for Glenrothes" would be more accurate, since Markinch is the station you'd use if you wanted to go to Glenrothes.
Depends where you’re coming from, e.g. Dunfermline. As far as I am aware there have always been direct buses between the controversial station and Glenrothes Centre (since it opened).
 

rapmastaj

Member
Joined
8 Oct 2021
Messages
214
Location
Leeds
Other than (sadly) living there, not really sure why you'd want to go to Glenrothes...

I did this trip a couple of times, but only in order to catch an onward bus from Glenrothes Centre to Falkland, which couldn't be a lovelier village. Generally though it was easier to get the madly circuitous bus from Ladybank to Falkland, since this at least means you only need to take one bus instead of two.

Depends where you’re coming from, e.g. Dunfermline. As far as I am aware there have always been direct buses between the controversial station and Glenrothes Centre (since it opened).

Yes that's fair. Though Markinch would be best from most places, I'd imagine.
 

0161

Member
Joined
31 Jul 2021
Messages
38
Location
Salford
Curious as to why it it Glenrothes with Thornton and not "Glenrothes & Thornton".
I think Markinch used to be Markinch for Glenrothes, again why not Markinch & Glenrothes etc.
I absolutely hate the with in names like this. It just sounds like something that was dreamed up in some kind of public sector inclusivity "workshop"

When I used to visit Glenrothes, I seem to remember Markinch was "Markinch for Glenrothes"

If the good people of Glenrothes want to disassociate themselves from that station, renaming it "Thornton (Fife)" seems the smooth move.
 

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Joined
10 Nov 2015
Messages
5,702
Location
Hope Valley
I absolutely hate the with in names like this. It just sounds like something that was dreamed up in some kind of public sector inclusivity "workshop"
Nothing to do with ‘public sector inclusivity workshop’! “With” was sometimes used for parishes many years ago. Ironically, given your Forum name, Lancashire has several examples. Roby with Huyton is one that you might recognise.
 

RUK

Member
Joined
5 Aug 2009
Messages
488
Location
East of England
I absolutely hate the with in names like this. It just sounds like something that was dreamed up in some kind of public sector inclusivity "workshop"
”With” here, is the opposite of “without”, in its old-fashioned sense of “outside of”. For example, there was a parish called “St Botolph without Aldgate”.
 

318266

Member
Joined
30 Sep 2017
Messages
896
Location
S&W of Alexander Dennis, N&E of Wrightbus
”With” here, is the opposite of “without”, in its old-fashioned sense of “outside of”. For example, there was a parish called “St Botolph without Aldgate”.
All the more confusing, considering that up here in Scotland that definition of "without" becomes the nowadays much more commonly heard "outwith" to distinguish.

I stand in favour of "Thornton (for Glenrothes)", with the same signage as "Partick (for the Riverside Museum)". Thornton (Fife) would suffice for journey planners - I doubt many will be confused between it and Stanlow & Thornton (which isn't even open). Equally, if confusion is considered too great, I'm sure many - here especially - would be happy with the name "Thornton Junction"!
 

0161

Member
Joined
31 Jul 2021
Messages
38
Location
Salford
Nothing to do with ‘public sector inclusivity workshop’! “With” was sometimes used for parishes many years ago. Ironically, given your Forum name, Lancashire has several examples. Roby with Huyton is one that you might recognise.

I appreciate that, however, to me it just sounds like one of these "Blackburn with Darwen Council: A place where everybody matters" things which I find incredibly forced and cringe.

Also, both Roby and Huyon have stations of their own

”With” here, is the opposite of “without”

Come all without, come all within ♫
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top