This one has me curious, please bare with me...
From my 1962 summer WTT:
I can see daily ECS trains running from Glasgow parcels station to Ordsall Lane - 2 05pm (Glasgow) daily taking empty vans back.
Firstly, Glasgow parcels station - was this part of Glasgow Central? or was this a separate place? I don't know the area at all.
Secondly, Ordsall Lane, where is that? Salford, Manchester?
The route the train takes is down the S&C, then Hellifield / Blackburn / Bolton to Ordsall Lane SO. The SX train disappears at Blackburn.
Thirdly, why would you take empty vans all the way back from Glasgow?
Last, I can see express passenger trains running up to Glasgow Central from either Manchester Exchange or Victoria, but I don't see any specific parcel trains. I presume the loaded parcel vans were attached to the passenger trains?
All trains listed above are steam hauled.
Thanks,
Andy.
From my 1962 summer WTT:
I can see daily ECS trains running from Glasgow parcels station to Ordsall Lane - 2 05pm (Glasgow) daily taking empty vans back.
Firstly, Glasgow parcels station - was this part of Glasgow Central? or was this a separate place? I don't know the area at all.
Secondly, Ordsall Lane, where is that? Salford, Manchester?
The route the train takes is down the S&C, then Hellifield / Blackburn / Bolton to Ordsall Lane SO. The SX train disappears at Blackburn.
Thirdly, why would you take empty vans all the way back from Glasgow?
Last, I can see express passenger trains running up to Glasgow Central from either Manchester Exchange or Victoria, but I don't see any specific parcel trains. I presume the loaded parcel vans were attached to the passenger trains?
All trains listed above are steam hauled.
Thanks,
Andy.
Last edited: