Highlandspring
Established Member
- Joined
- 14 Oct 2017
- Messages
- 2,777
That was Annat gate box, closed and demolished 2014.Corpach has/had a signal box for the pulp and paper mill and the level crossing. Unsure if it’s still there.
That was Annat gate box, closed and demolished 2014.Corpach has/had a signal box for the pulp and paper mill and the level crossing. Unsure if it’s still there.
Thanks for update.That was Annat gate box, closed and demolished 2014.
Fort William Jn isn’t obvious to passengers viewing it from a train and isn’t at a station - the OP is very probably referring to Glenfinnan signalbox which has been turned into a museum. The box at Arisaig still exists but is boarded up.
When I booked the journey described above, I couldn't get seat reservations for FTW-GLQ, no matter how hard I tried. Don't blame the traveller... (Somehow I did get seat reservations for FTW to Mallaig though.)I've never seen one fully reserved. Suspect some seats are unavailable for reservation. Equally I can never understand why people DON'T book seats. It's a 3 and a half hour journey minimum, almost everyone goes for a specific train so they know which one to book in advance. I personally would never undertake a journey of that length without a guaranteed seat, anywhere in the world.
I took the chance to speak to the guys at Oban today. Average 10, (20 by Crianlarich), 20 not unusual, busiest obviously on Mondays. Actually had about 30 yesterday. The northbound train had 17 (no pupils of course), but 6 bikes. The 2036 South has mainly a few locals, but can have daytrippers.I take your point, but the quoted portion isn't a great example. That's more to do with the time of day and location, rather than season. For example, 0521 ex Oban even in high summer will frequently have around 5 people on it. 10 is a good day.
I took the chance to speak to the guys at Oban today. Average 10, (20 by Crianlarich), 20 not unusual
I’ve only used the line once (around midday) between Fort William and Mallaig. The train was 4 coaches and full and standing. I don’t think it was the nice relaxing journey that some were hoping for!
The platforms at Arisaig looked quite long, so I was quite surprised when it was announced as being local door only. Must be close.
was a class 156 if I recall. Is it usually 156s on this route?
And will the ScotRail HSTs ever be booked to work these services?
Yes.
No.
Is it due to be worked by 156s for this whole franchise?
Yes.
No.
Using HSTs would remove the flexible operation of regularly joining and splitting services that has taken place for the best part of the last thirty years. Track access charges and fuel costs would probably be increased, too, compared to Sprinter operation.I know the Scotrail hst programme is an intercity operation, but even before that started I've wondered about hst etc on the whl.
I'm guessing it's a route availability issue .
I believe it's 156s that dominate but the Cal sleeper, west coast stock and the corpach freight all run over as far as ftw at least.
So why not hst?
Would 170s or tpe 185s be cleared for the line?
The class 156s are solid and dependable workhorses, and one of the most successful outputs of BRs' Sprinter programme. With large panoramic windows and low backed seats I'd hardly consider them cramped, either, and they demonstrate the flexibility of multiple unit operation on a daily basis on the WHL. The Scotrail units are showing their age, though, and those self same low backed seats aren't really up to modern expectations of comfort in the twenty first century, and the sets lack mod cons such as air conditioning and plug sockets that are increasingly considered the norm. They do seem somewhat "bargain basement" compared to some of the innovative rolling stock utilised on scenic rural lines in mainland Europe, and are distinctly lacking even compared to the competing Citylink coach service that plies the same corridor.The rolling stock for the best part of 30 years has been dreadful - dmu's obviously designed as the lowest quality they could get away with before they actually closed the line, tatty, rattling, cramped inflexible.
158s!
What a laughable poverty of imagination and aspiration.
Using HSTs would remove the flexible operation of regularly joining and splitting services that has taken place for the best part of the last thirty years. Track access charges and fuel costs would probably be increased, too, compared to Sprinter operation.
158's are still the long term plan as the 10 156's which are going off lease are all from the WHL/RETB pool and won't be refurbished. You can tell which ones are leaving as they haven't had forward facing CCTV/DAS or LED lighting installed. There are only 6 RETB units on the refurbishment programme. From memory I think units 445/453/456/465/499/500.
158's are still the long term plan as the 10 156's which are going off lease are all from the WHL/RETB pool and won't be refurbished. You can tell which ones are leaving as they haven't had forward facing CCTV/DAS or LED lighting installed. There are only 6 RETB units on the refurbishment programme. From memory I think units 445/453/456/465/499/500.
We would dearly like to get rid of splitting at crianlarich because it adds 10 minutes to the journey.

I would hate to think how one would survive a long journey in a refurbished 158. 4 adults at a table with no leg room and a table leg to wrap your leg around is on a par with water boarding !! . The new seats a far too big/cushioned leaving a cramped space . Its torture from Dunblane to Edinburgh, let alone this longer route sat at a table , I actively seek out seats with no table, or stand in preference to a table seat on a busy train.
The lines are cleared for class 43 ( the NRM train visits regularly), so unless the new doors foul the platforms, there would be no problem.