• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Glasgow Central-Queen St Connection & Oban Line Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

gray1404

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2014
Messages
7,656
Location
Merseyside
Please can I ask the easiest way to get from Glasgow Central to Queen Street. Tomorrow evening I need to catch the 18:21 from Queen Street to Oban. Is it a simple walk?

Also, I will be travelling from Preston that afternoon. Taking into account the fact I need to get from Central to Queen St, what would be a sensible time train to get from Preston up to Glasgow?

Finally, is the 18:21 Oban service likely to be busy tomorrow? On Sunday 14 July I am getting the 12:11 Oban to Queen Street. Is this likely to be busy? I ask this because, although I have seat reservations on both services, I couldn't get a window seat for the return leg on any booking engine.

Thanks.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Joined
7 Oct 2017
Messages
6,416
Please can I ask the easiest way to get from Glasgow Central to Queen Street. Tomorrow evening I need to catch the 18:21 from Queen Street to Oban. Is it a simple walk?

Also, I will be travelling from Preston that afternoon. Taking into account the fact I need to get from Central to Queen St, what would be a sensible time train to get from Preston up to Glasgow?

Finally, is the 18:21 Oban service likely to be busy tomorrow? On Sunday 14 July I am getting the 12:11 Oban to Queen Street. Is this likely to be busy? I ask this because, although I have seat reservations on both services, I couldn't get a window seat for the return leg on any booking engine.

Thanks.
There is a bus between the two stations but this has limited operating hours (though it does run when you will be changing between the stations). Given the frequency of the bus vs the length of the walk, it's hardly worth it unless you have problems walking. The walk is about 10-15 minutes, give or take, and should be easy enough if you use Google Maps or similar.

Alternatively you could take a train from Central Low Level to Dalmuir, and the journey time for this is remarkably similar to walking and then taking the train. However, if you already have Advance tickets booked from Queen Street then you are, in theory, bound to this (though I'd like to have thought that discretion would be shown) - and more importantly, you will have a better choice of seats if you want to go for an unreserved one if you board the train after it is prepared, but before it is officially announced, at Queen Street (using RTT or similar).
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,988
Location
Airedale
Theoretically you can leave Preston on the last train that NRE shows as a valid connection, and if it's delayed it's the TOC's responsibility to get you to Oban.
However, for the last train of the day on such a long journey I prefer to allow extra time.
 

gray1404

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2014
Messages
7,656
Location
Merseyside
Thanks for your replies. I have an Off Peak Return from Glasgow to Oban. I'll try for the sign posted walk given it will still be light. If my luggage is an issue I'll take the transfer bus. Yes, I'd rather be on it at Queen Street and will try to board before everyone else.

As I'm using a combination of tickets I need to make sure I have a valid connection and quite honestly, given I won't get to Oban until after 21:00 anyway all being well and the fact I've had to ask the hotel if I can do late check it, I think I will do all I can to mitigate against any delay. So I think I will make sure I allow at least one hour (maybe even 2) between my booked arrival time in Central and my booked departure time from Queen Street.
 

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Joined
7 Oct 2017
Messages
6,416
Thanks for your replies. I have an Off Peak Return from Glasgow to Oban. I'll try for the sign posted walk given it will still be light. If my luggage is an issue I'll take the transfer bus. Yes, I'd rather be on it at Queen Street and will try to board before everyone else.

As I'm using a combination of tickets I need to make sure I have a valid connection and quite honestly, given I won't get to Oban until after 21:00 anyway all being well and the fact I've had to ask the hotel if I can do late check it, I think I will do all I can to mitigate against any delay. So I think I will make sure I allow at least one hour (maybe even 2) between my booked arrival time in Central and my booked departure time from Queen Street.
ScotRail recommends allowing half an hour between the two if you intend to use the bus, so one hour or even two is far more than you necessarily need, but of course it's up to you as to how much time you wish to allow.
 

alistairlees

Established Member
Joined
29 Dec 2016
Messages
4,420
It's a really easy 8 to 10 min walk at at slow pace from the front (Gordon Street entrance) of Central station to the nearest entrance to Queen Street station (on Dundas Street). There's a lot of rebuilding work at Queen Street at the moment, hence the Dundas Street entrance is the easiest to use.

Route is:
- from the front of Glasgow Central station (Gordon Street)
- turn right onto Gordon Street until you reach Buchanan Street (two blocks along)
- turn left onto Buchanan Street. You'll be heading gently uphill now.
- after two more blocks, turn right onto West George Street
- after about a hundred yards, turn left onto Dundas Street. You're at the corner of the station and the main entrance now. It's obvious.
 

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,156
It's no more than a 10 minute walk, closer to 5 if you can walk with a bit of pace.
 

adrock1976

Established Member
Joined
10 Dec 2013
Messages
4,450
Location
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
ScotRail recommends allowing half an hour between the two if you intend to use the bus, so one hour or even two is far more than you necessarily need, but of course it's up to you as to how much time you wish to allow.

That is not only just simply the recommended interchange time, but the mandatory minimum that you have to allow when transferring between Central and Queen Street. It has been like that since I saw the page of minimum interchange times in the 1988 Summer edition of the big Great Britain Passenger Railway Timetable book. Birmingham New Street was listed as 15 minutes, and a minimum of 60 minutes was required when transferring between London mainline terminals.

Regarding some of the suggestions above with the walking time being 5, 7, or 10 minutes, that depends on the time of day, how many revellers are about, the pedestrian sequence being in your favour, and beggars hassling you for spare change.

Also, this weekend is when the Orange Order are out in force ramming the Battle of the Boyne in 1690 at everybody, which does attract a lot of undesirables.
 

trebor79

Established Member
Joined
8 Mar 2018
Messages
4,912
If you're going to allow plenty of time for your connection, there are a couple of good food options nearby.
Martha's, about a 3 minute walk from Central station and less than 10 minutes from Queen Street. A very similar concept to Leon, but bigger portions and nicer, less crowded surroundings.
If you've got a bit more time, I can also recommend "The Wee Curry House". This is about a 2 minute walk from Cowcaddens subway station (and a ride on the subway is good fun too, a miniature tube train, complete with the old school motor/gearbox noise and squealng brakes you no longer hear on the tube)
 

HORNIMANS

Member
Joined
30 Jul 2009
Messages
116
Having done this twice this last week,the bus 500 does go a bit of a way round and has to go through several sets of traffic lights, and there is only 1 bus.
Alo due to rebuilding work going on at QS station its not that easy with different routes through the works, and at the time you are there it will be rush hour and very busy. your train laeves from platform 5[RTT]
 

sdrennan

Member
Joined
23 Feb 2011
Messages
211
If you have more time then I hope the weather is OK k and you can have a gentle walk, passed the usual Glasgow spots, Gallery of Modern Art with the Duke and his traffic cone, George Square etc. Enjoy your brief time in the city
 

gray1404

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2014
Messages
7,656
Location
Merseyside
I got a bus to Preston with a hour in hand. However due to a road caving in on the A565 the bus got to Preston over an hour late. I arrived at Preston 10 minutes after the VT should have departed for Glasgow l. Thankfully it was 15 down so I had enough time to collect my ticket and board. Very lucky as was booked train only and wanting last train of the day to Oban.

Opted for the 1700 arrival in Glasgow, got in about 15 down, and caught bus link to Queen St. Could have walked but did it for ease as bus was there. Sat waiting to board Oban service now. Plenty to time to spare after a stressful start.
 
Last edited:

route101

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,316
There is a bus between the two stations but this has limited operating hours (though it does run when you will be changing between the stations). Given the frequency of the bus vs the length of the walk, it's hardly worth it unless you have problems walking. The walk is about 10-15 minutes, give or take, and should be easy enough if you use Google Maps or similar.

Alternatively you could take a train from Central Low Level to Dalmuir, and the journey time for this is remarkably similar to walking and then taking the train. However, if you already have Advance tickets booked from Queen Street then you are, in theory, bound to this (though I'd like to have thought that discretion would be shown) - and more importantly, you will have a better choice of seats if you want to go for an unreserved one if you board the train after it is prepared, but before it is officially announced, at Queen Street (using RTT or similar).

Noticed at Queen St the wee black PIS screens showed the platforms before the main ones
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,513
Location
Yorkshire
Please can I ask the easiest way to get from Glasgow Central to Queen Street. Tomorrow evening I need to catch the 18:21 from Queen Street to Oban. Is it a simple walk?
I personally would not bother with the bus, and would simply walk.

But anyone who does not want to walk or take a bus can travel via Low Level and Partick instead; in future if booking a through ticket from Preston to Oban, some websites would allow you to specify modes to avoid and you could get a rail only itinerary if you wish.

Perhaps something to consider for the return leg, as I see you already have a seat reservation from GLQ and you'd not be able to claim it if you boarded at Dalmuir.
Also, I will be travelling from Preston that afternoon. Taking into account the fact I need to get from Central to Queen St, what would be a sensible time train to get from Preston up to Glasgow?
The minimum interchange time is 35 mins (calculated as 20 min at GLC + 5 min walk + 10 min at GLQ ) but you may wish to allow much more time to mitigate against the possibility of a delay causing you to be put in a taxi.
 

Esker-pades

Established Member
Joined
23 Jul 2015
Messages
3,784
Location
Beds, Bucks, or somewhere else
The minimum interchange time is 35 mins (calculated as 20 min at GLC + 5 min walk + 10 min at GLQ ) but you may wish to allow much more time to mitigate against the possibility of a delay causing you to be put in a taxi.
The minimum interchange time is 30 minutes. ScotRail publicises that on all their timetables. As an example, here is a journey from Falkirk High to East Kilbride with a 30 minute interchange.
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot_2019-07-08-08-59-56.jpg
    Screenshot_2019-07-08-08-59-56.jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 3
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top