LNW-GW Joint
Veteran Member
I had a series of ICE runs through Germany this week (Dortmund-Berlin-Leipzig-Erfurt-Fulda-Nuremberg-Munich).
I'm not overly familiar with ICE types and performance, but I found myself mostly on ICE-T trains (class 411/5) which are rated at 230kph - not much more than the classic 200kph/125mph.
They duly stuck at 230kph on the new 300kph line between Leipzig-Erfurt, and also Fulda-Wurzburg.
The maximum speed I noticed from the on-board displays on a class 403 rated at 380kph was 288kph, between Nuremberg and Ingoldstadt.
So the German NBS are not delivering to their potential.
Is this typical of how NBS lines are worked?
At Eisenach I also noted a nice Cantus Stadler FLIRT unit on a Bebra train, and even an ex-DR Soviet-built class 132 diesel (DB 232) on an engineering train.
These were all the rage what I first visited the DDR in the late 70s.
I'm not overly familiar with ICE types and performance, but I found myself mostly on ICE-T trains (class 411/5) which are rated at 230kph - not much more than the classic 200kph/125mph.
They duly stuck at 230kph on the new 300kph line between Leipzig-Erfurt, and also Fulda-Wurzburg.
The maximum speed I noticed from the on-board displays on a class 403 rated at 380kph was 288kph, between Nuremberg and Ingoldstadt.
So the German NBS are not delivering to their potential.
Is this typical of how NBS lines are worked?
At Eisenach I also noted a nice Cantus Stadler FLIRT unit on a Bebra train, and even an ex-DR Soviet-built class 132 diesel (DB 232) on an engineering train.
These were all the rage what I first visited the DDR in the late 70s.
