• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

George Osborne in first class with standard ticket?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,941
Location
UK
If those of you who are shouting hypocrisy about Milliband taking off the first class antimacassars, then can I ask why you haven't mentioned that Cameron does exactly the same thing?

But the point is that Labour said this incident proved how out of touch the Government was (a line it will continue to say over and over as it believes this will make the Tories unelectable in 2015 - and it might work, as long as Ed Miliband isn't still expecting to leading the party) despite more Labour MPs travelling first class AND removing the antimacassars.

Now if the Tories were going to fight back and attack Labour, yes, it might be worth mentioning if David Cameron did the same thing.. but have they done this yet? Or are they ignoring the whole thing and carrying on with business?

It seems that Labour so desperately wants this story to be bigger than it is, as do the Labour supporters and probably the unions and anyone else that dislikes the Government.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

table38

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
1,812
Location
Stalybridge
If those of you who are shouting hypocrisy about Milliband taking off the first class antimacassars, then can I ask why you haven't mentioned that Cameron does exactly the same thing?

Is the answer because Labour tries desperately to portray a Tory chancellor sitting in First Class as "a toff" or "posh" or "out of touch" when they do exactly the same themselves? Where is the hypocrisy from the Tories?
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,413
Location
Yorks
I'm not convinced it's appropriate for anyone to go around removing antimacassars willy nilly.

What next - the seat reservations :lol:
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,413
Location
Yorks
It's okay, both incidents being talked about were on 390s so the reservations wouldn't have been working anyway :lol:

That's good to know anyway :lol:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Tell that to the person who designed the first class interior on southern s 377's ;)

I suppose at least they have a first class interior (cough "South Eastern" cough) :lol:
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,941
Location
UK
Hmm like that well-known Labour-supporting newspaper, the Daily Mail?

It's good that you mentioned that actually.

The Daily Mail, as pointed out by Sky recently when looking at the newspapers for the next day, seems to have a real downer on the Government at the moment. I am not sure why, as I don't read the paper..

Likewise, the Sun also appears to be losing faith - and I wonder if it will switch back to Labour before the next election? Clearly if it does, it will help Labour continue with the 'out of touch' argument that is likely to replace the 'too hard, too fast' argument.

Edit: I wonder if the papers will turn on the Government as a result of the Leveson enquiry and any changes forced upon the media? The press can certainly hold grudges and have a lot of power, as seen by this story started by an 'off-duty' journalist!!
 
Last edited:

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2008
Messages
12,774
The Mail is anti-Cameron and Clegg but not anti-Tory- certainly not pro-Labour!
 

sheff1

Established Member
Joined
24 Dec 2009
Messages
6,060
Location
Sheffield
Attempting to run the Country wedged next to someone yapping away whilst a never ending stream of passengers on the way back from the buffet car slop their coffee over you doesn't seem appropriate to me.

Of course .... you never get anyone yapping away in first class do you :roll:

Also, I have never had coffee slopped over me in standard, but more than once I have been slopped over by stewards serving drinks in first class.
 

driver_m

Established Member
Joined
8 Nov 2011
Messages
2,248
Is the answer because Labour tries desperately to portray a Tory chancellor sitting in First Class as "a toff" or "posh" or "out of touch" when they do exactly the same themselves? Where is the hypocrisy from the Tories?

The hypocrisy is absolutely everywhere, on here, in Downing Street and at the Gate, in First Class. Would you like me to find more examples? Why are the Daily Mail so unhappy about it, if it is a "labour" thing as a few other have pointed out?
 

sheff1

Established Member
Joined
24 Dec 2009
Messages
6,060
Location
Sheffield
Our experiences obviously differ - perhaps first class passengers are more talkative going to/from Yorkshire. Or maybe, standard class passengers are less so round here ?
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,413
Location
Yorks
Really ? - not my experience.

There are fewer people in first class to begin with, so unless those in first are being unusually noisy, there's a high probability that there will be fewer noisy people there.
 

Ivo

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2010
Messages
7,307
Location
Bath (or Southend)
Not always true - we had a Forum Meet in First Class about six months ago which resulted in the train we were on having more people in First than Standard! We started joking that we were in Standard and the rest of the train was First...

We were also being rather noisy. Oops.
 

asylumxl

Established Member
Joined
12 Feb 2009
Messages
4,260
Location
Hiding in your shadow
Attempting to run the Country wedged next to someone yapping away whilst a never ending stream of passengers on the way back from the buffet car slop their coffee over you doesn't seem appropriate to me.

I'm inclined to agree. Attempting was a very well chosen word.

If they can't run the country in their usual surroundings, then there is no chance of it happening while wedged between the great unwashed in the horrific conditions they are subjected to in Standard Class.

Such incompetence. How they became politicans I don't know. The mind boggles...
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,413
Location
Yorks
Not always true - we had a Forum Meet in First Class about six months ago which resulted in the train we were on having more people in First than Standard! We started joking that we were in Standard and the rest of the train was First...

We were also being rather noisy. Oops.

Lowering the tone eh Ivo :lol:;)
 

Flamingo

Established Member
Joined
26 Apr 2010
Messages
6,806
I'd forgotten about the Levinson enquiry. One thing that the present administration appears to have got right (although the proof of the pudding will be if they have the balls to go through with it). It certainly is not something either Blair or Brown would have done, IMHO.

But that is a very good reason for Murdoch and the Tabloids to stick the knives in.

Just as an aside, I have seen politicians of all parties in First Class, along with a few trade unionists I have recognised.

First class is simply a bit more comfortable, and if required, a better envoirnment to get on with work. Some people need to get it into perspective.
 

wintonian

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2010
Messages
4,889
Location
Hampshire
Really ? - not my experience.

At weekends on weekend first routes, or off-peak during the summer hols down here on the SWML first class can be full of them.

There is in my experience.

Certainly on the SWML during morning commuter hour it is forbidden to for anyone other than the guard exercise their vocal cords in any way - this includes acknowledging the guard in any way other than displeasingly thrusting ones gold card at them.
 

sheff1

Established Member
Joined
24 Dec 2009
Messages
6,060
Location
Sheffield
There are fewer people in first class to begin with, so unless those in first are being unusually noisy, there's a high probability that there will be fewer noisy people there.

I am going on personal experience rather than probability. The trains I catch to and from London are usually as full in first as they are in standard.

I admit I have no recent experience in travelling from Manchester (Wilmslow) to London so possibly on that route being in first is like being in an empty library.
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,413
Location
Yorks
I'm inclined to agree. Attempting was a very well chosen word.

If they can't run the country in their usual surroundings, then there is no chance of it happening while wedged between the great unwashed in the horrific conditions they are subjected to in Standard Class.

Such incompetence. How they became politicans I don't know. The mind boggles...

Well, my point is about the office rather than any particular incumbent (I'll save my views of Mr Osborne's performance for another thread).
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I am going on personal experience rather than probability. The trains I catch to and from London are usually as full in first as they are in standard.

I admit I have no recent experience in travelling from Manchester (Wilmslow) to London so possibly on that route being in first is like being in an empty library.

But even if First was as full as Standard, there are fewer seats which are more spread out, so it would still be a more suitable environment in which to consider affairs of state.
 

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
I am going on personal experience rather than probability. The trains I catch to and from London are usually as full in first as they are in standard.

I admit I have no recent experience in travelling from Manchester (Wilmslow) to London so possibly on that route being in first is like being in an empty library.

I am sure that experiences can differ between regiosn and is dependent on the individual service.

I have found First Class on the ECML to be a little noisier on average in my experience compared to FGW. However, that may be entirely due to the fact that my experinces on the former have been on busier trains (at least in First Class).

But it's all pretty irrelevant anyway. As Flamingo said, politicians of all parties and trade unionists do it because it is a better enviornment for getting soem work done. The only reason I was allowed to travel in FC in my last job was on the strength of being able to work on the train and it being an effective use of my time to do so.
 

sheff1

Established Member
Joined
24 Dec 2009
Messages
6,060
Location
Sheffield
But even if First was as full as Standard, there are fewer seats which are more spread out, so it would still be a more suitable environment in which to consider affairs of state.

Maybe so, but the discussion started with your suggestion that standard was populated by people 'yapping' with the clear implication that first was not.

Interesting that being slopped by coffee did not draw so many posts :)
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,413
Location
Yorks
Maybe so, but the discussion started with your suggestion that standard was populated by people 'yapping' with the clear implication that first was not.

Interesting that being slopped by coffee did nor draw so many posts :)

Ah, but there would still be fewer people yapping on account of the more spatious layout.
 

sheff1

Established Member
Joined
24 Dec 2009
Messages
6,060
Location
Sheffield
As Flamingo said, politicians of all parties and trade unionists do it because it is a better enviornment for getting soem work done. The only reason I was allowed to travel in FC in my last job was on the strength of being able to work on the train and it being an effective use of my time to do so.

I don't disagree with this, but don't forget that The Chancellor held a standard ticket so, if he had caught his booked train, we can only assume he would have travelled standard (whether working or otherwise).



Ah, but there would still be fewer people yapping on account of the more spatious layout.

Well, as I said quite a few posts ago, that is not my experience which is all I can base my comments on.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top