• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Election 2017: The Results and Aftermath

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

backontrack

Established Member
Joined
2 Feb 2014
Messages
6,399
Location
The UK
Urgh. Malignant Gnome returns to the fore.

Michael Gove is made Secretary of State for the Environment, replacing Andrea Leadsom who has been made Leader of the House.

Theresa May needs people who will be loyal to her. Gove will be loyal to anyone, as long as they give him a job.
 

3141

Established Member
Joined
1 Apr 2012
Messages
2,124
Location
Whitchurch, Hampshire
Was the "Leave" battle bus that carried that slogan an official vehicle sponsored by the Conservative Party or was it just on behalf of a consortium of various hues of the political rainbow. Remember that the RMT leadership were all in favour of a "Leave" decision, whilst many in the Conservative Party were "Remain" supporters.

Are you claiming that the £350 million per week was a Conservative Party manifesto promise?

People saw the Leave battlebus and its slogan on TV and leading Conservative politicians like Boris J and Michael Gove closely associated with it. They may well have made a connection and were probably intended to. When various others e.g. Lord Ashdown pointed out that our net expenditure on the EU was a lot less than that figure Boris declined to acknowledge that fact. Even if people did not connect the claimed weekly saving with the Conservative Party they most probably believed that money would be available for the NHS if we left the EU, which is what the slogan on the bus was intended to encourage them to think. If not, what was it there for? If the money's now not going to be available I'm not surprised, but those who believed it will be justified in feeling they've been deceived, and at least some of them will feel let down by the party of the people who were most associated with the battlebus.

But if we leave the EU this is just one of disappointments we'll discover.
 

3141

Established Member
Joined
1 Apr 2012
Messages
2,124
Location
Whitchurch, Hampshire
Urgh. Malignant Gnome returns to the fore.

Michael Gove is made Secretary of State for the Environment, replacing Andrea Leadsom who has been made Leader of the House.

Theresa May needs people who will be loyal to her. Gove will be loyal to anyone, as long as they give him a job.

He'll be superloyal, because if she goes and Boris replaces her he won't have a job much longer!
 

LateThanNever

Member
Joined
18 Jul 2013
Messages
1,029
Austerity shouldn't be seen as one sided as it normally is by the freeloading lefties.

Austerity can be a good thing as it means that one can save even more money by cutting back and by cutting back, you save even more money - I've done this and I'm seeing the money pour in, so much so that owning my own home will happen faster because I've cut back and set a strict budget to work to and not expected everything to be given to me on a plate.

Your treating the government as a household. It isn't.
It owns a bank and prints its own money. Not something I imagine you do too much of at home...
 

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Jun 2014
Messages
14,671
People saw the Leave battlebus and its slogan on TV and leading Conservative politicians like Boris J and Michael Gove closely associated with it. They may well have made a connection and were probably intended to. When various others e.g. Lord Ashdown pointed out that our net expenditure on the EU was a lot less than that figure Boris declined to acknowledge that fact. Even if people did not connect the claimed weekly saving with the Conservative Party they most probably believed that money would be available for the NHS if we left the EU, which is what the slogan on the bus was intended to encourage them to think. If not, what was it there for? If the money's now not going to be available I'm not surprised, but those who believed it will be justified in feeling they've been deceived, and at least some of them will feel let down by the party of the people who were most associated with the battlebus.

But if we leave the EU this is just one of disappointments we'll discover.

On the matter of the 'leave' battlebus, it was unveiled at Truro while the Farmer's Market was taking place there, and I studied both on local TV and the photos in local papers as to who in the political firmament was there, and there was indeed one Labour politician present, namely Gisela Stuart MP, who seemed to regard her role as simpering at Boris Johnson: this is the same Gisela Stuart who stood down at this election.
 

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Joined
17 Apr 2011
Messages
35,461
Location
A typical commuter-belt part of north-west England
Asking you whether you had to pay to go to university is neither.

How many times do I have to say that if a person is too lazy to find the date when the Blair aspiration of a 50% University take-up place was said, which made no mention whatsoever of tuition costs so he can then see how many years had elapsed from the year of 1966 when I received my First in Mathematics to the date of the Blair statement, then I put that down to the callowness of youth.

Am I really to believe that website members do not have the wherewithal to use the information readily available about Universities in the early 1960 time period. Maybe "bursaries" is just one example of a word now that seems unknown to the younger members of this website.

I now laugh when I recall the number of postings that have been made about my personal life since I joined this website in April 2011, especially as many of these people making those postings would be the first to decry any attempt made to obtain personal information, especially about themselves...:roll:
 

najaB

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Aug 2011
Messages
33,723
Location
Scotland
How many times do I have to say...
Paul, I don't have a dog in this fight (as the Americans would say), but it doesn't do your rhetorical position any good responding to a post saying that you don't answer questions by not answering the question.
 

Railops

Member
Joined
14 Apr 2016
Messages
352
How many times do I have to say that if a person is too lazy to find the date when the Blair aspiration of a 50% University take-up place was said, which made no mention whatsoever of tuition costs so he can then see how many years had elapsed from the year of 1966 when I received my First in Mathematics to the date of the Blair statement, then I put that down to the callowness of youth.

Am I really to believe that website members do not have the wherewithal to use the information readily available about Universities in the early 1960 time period. Maybe "bursaries" is just one example of a word now that seems unknown to the younger members of this website.

I now laugh when I recall the number of postings that have been made about my personal life since I joined this website in April 2011, especially as many of these people making those postings would be the first to decry any attempt made to obtain personal information, especially about themselves...:roll:

I don't know why you bother to keep replying, just put them on ignore.
 

Dave1987

On Moderation
Joined
20 Oct 2012
Messages
4,563
Very very interesting cabinet appointments and BoJo comments. I thought that the Tories would oust May PDQ and get a new leader in for the upcoming Brexit negotiations yet they are trying to reinforce May's position. May is damaged goods and the deal with the DUP will be scrutinised. Interesting that BoJo is trying the Trump tactics of trying to "fake news" the media. They are definitely trying to deflect attention away from the DUP.

Remember folks the UDA are "freedom fighters" :roll:

I'm all for challenging Corbyn over his views of the IRA in the past but trying to claim the DUP are fine because the UDA are freedom fighters is utterly laughable!
 

rf_ioliver

Member
Joined
17 Apr 2011
Messages
1,028
I've heard this said numerous times. But no one yet has told me which 'hundreds' of laws these are.
Does anyone have a list? Or is it like the £350m/week for the NHS - a pure fantasy.

Great question...it isn't a lie per se but...

First of all "EU Laws" are those which have been agreed by all EU countries and ratified by all the seperate parliaments of each country. In some ways, just like Directives, they are a common minimum. Some countries might choose (Finland, ahem!) to implement much more than the minimum. I guess in many cases of the "100s" of laws, the UK has also itself implemented much more than the EU Law requires.

Also remember the UK has been responsible for many of these laws so....

Anyway, a "Great Repeal Bill" sounds fantastic in principle until you start looking at the process of how the EU Laws are made in the first place, who made them and how the laws were actually implemented in UK law...

I recommend buying a large bag of popcorn, sitting back and watch...

Actually I'm wondering what's going to come next: a collapse of the government, another general election, a Conservative leadership contest...

t.

Ian
 

backontrack

Established Member
Joined
2 Feb 2014
Messages
6,399
Location
The UK
Michael Gove has been on Sky News. He said this:

Malignant Gnome said:
I was quite surprised, I have to say ... I genuinely didn’t expect this role.

I am delighted to be part of the government, I am delighted to be able to support Theresa to ensure that we have a government capable of delivering on the people’s wishes.
 

najaB

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Aug 2011
Messages
33,723
Location
Scotland
As I see it, it is in the Conservative's best interest to delay the next election as long as possible. Now that the aura of Tory invincibility is well and truly dispelled the opposition parties have the advantage of momentum (small m).
 

507021

Established Member
Joined
19 Feb 2015
Messages
4,759
Location
Chester
My gut feeling is that'll it'll be sooner than that. I think a lot will depend on whether the Queen's Speech gets voted in or out

I do think that will decide how soon it is. If it gets voted out, and the opportunity to form a government is passed to Labour, I'm not sure they could do so. Even if Labour can get support from the SNP, Liberal Democrats, Plaid Cymru and the Greens as part of an alliance rather than a coalition, the Tories (318 seats) would still outnumber those combined numbers (310 seats) by eight seats.

I just wonder how many parties are ready for another General Election. I don't think it's a case of if there's one before 2022, but when.
 

gareth950

Member
Joined
3 Nov 2013
Messages
1,009
A clip on the BBC News at Ten tonight had Theresa May claming that she's ready to serve a full 5 year term as Prime Minister :lol:

That woman really is living in a parallel universe.
 

najaB

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Aug 2011
Messages
33,723
Location
Scotland
A clip on the BBC News at Ten tonight had Theresa May claming that she's ready to serve a full 5 year term as Prime Minister :lol:

That woman really is living in a parallel universe.
"Ready" and "able", though often used together, don't mean the same thing!
 

Dave1987

On Moderation
Joined
20 Oct 2012
Messages
4,563
A clip on the BBC News at Ten tonight had Theresa May claming that she's ready to serve a full 5 year term as Prime Minister :lol:

That woman really is living in a parallel universe.

Yes but you are talking about the woman who thought she could get away without appearing on any TV debates, surrounded herself with the party faithful, put controversial policies in her parties manifesto, believed her huge lead in the polls was unassailable so didn't need to campaign well. And then when she took her party from majority Government to minority Government propped up by an unscrupulous party from NI, in an election she didn't need to call, then failed to mention anything about those seat losses or make any apologies to candidates who lost their seats by her actions in her "victory" speech to journalists in Downing Street. So yup I think she definitely qualifies for living in a parallel universe.

All the time she is PM she will always have this election result hanging over her and the fact she is propped up by the DUP. Journalists will naturally constantly ask how long she will last.
 
Last edited:

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
Please stay on topic, whihc is the aftermath of the General Election.
That means no discussions about age, maturity, Tony Blair, or anything else, thank you.

I don't mind admitting that after having had to take my axe to almost 100 posts in this thread, I'm getting a little fed up with the constant arguing and deviations from the main subject of the thread. If there are any further rule breaches, I will have no
option but to take sterner action
 

Railops

Member
Joined
14 Apr 2016
Messages
352
As McDonnell told Marr it would be inevitable that if labour lost the election him and Corbyn would resign, why are both still in their jobs.
 

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Sep 2013
Messages
17,626
Location
Isle of Man
As McDonnell told Marr it would be inevitable that if labour lost the election him and Corbyn would resign

They didn't lose the election. It was a score draw. It's just when you score the last minute equaliser (like Labour did) it feels like a win and when you concede the last minute equaliser (like the Tories) it feels like a loss.

Nobody won the election and nobody lost it.
 

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
32,692
Location
Northwich
However, those who were part of the Vote Leave campaign which promised the extra £350 million per week the National Health Service (after we left the EU), such as Boris Johnson, Michael Gove and Iain Duncan Smith, are prominent members of the Conservative Party. They should stand by that promise and ensure it is carried out after we leave the European Union, or they should apologise for reneging on that promise.

Indeed. Leave won so if the Conservatives who made promises based on Leave winning cannot deliver them, despite being in government they should as a minimum resign from the cabinet.
 

Railops

Member
Joined
14 Apr 2016
Messages
352
They didn't lose the election. It was a score draw. It's just when you score the last minute equaliser (like Labour did) it feels like a win and when you concede the last minute equaliser (like the Tories) it feels like a loss.

Nobody won the election and nobody lost it.

Are you saying the Tories didn't win the election ?
 

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Sep 2013
Messages
17,626
Location
Isle of Man
As I see it, it is in the Conservative's best interest to delay the next election as long as possible.

It's an interesting one.

Financially it makes sense for them to hold it sooner- the Tories are much better funded than Labour, who will struggle to fund a second campaign in a matter of months.

But politically they need to hold on. May is clearly a dead duck, so there's no point having another election until she is eased out. But the problem is that there's no real alternative leader to her. The only sensible and sane leader in that lot is Ruth Davidson, and she can't be PM because she sits in Holyrood not in Westminster. But truthfully I can't see the Tory Party uniting behind a moderate and I can't see the public uniting behind figures like Jeremy *unt, Michael Gove or Boris Johnson.
 

Groningen

Established Member
Joined
14 Jan 2015
Messages
2,866
There are now voices in Belgium in newspapers (that came from the Observer) that Theresa May did the elections on advice of Jean-Claude Juncker. How believable is that?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top