I'm surprised to see Barry Sheerman is still MP for Huddersfield, not because I expected Labour to lose but because he must be getting on a bit by now.
With so many people seemingly prepared to vote for a candidate with socialist policies, perhaps we are finally seeing the beginning of the end of Sir Keith Joseph's ill fated experiment in to absence of Government !
Are all the Labour candidates socialists now? I'm under the impression there's still a significant number of Labour MPs who became Labour MPs while Blair was leader. Better tell Corbyn that Mr Woodcock has become a socialist - he'll be pleasantly surprised.![]()
The Parliamentary labour party is a law unto itself as it always has been, however the fact remains that people vote for a party and a manifesto in general elections, rather than a local MP.
He's held the seat as long as I can remember. During the Blair years he irritated me (I was one of his constituents at the time) by voting AGAINST the ban on fox hunting. Then again he does chair the Education Select Committee so must have the respect of the house in general.
Edit. Elected in 1979, so he's held the seat longer than I've existed! Born in 1940 so he's 76/77 now.
I voted for the Lib Dem candidate in the 2005 election when I was living in Huddersfield. For the Kirklees local council elections the ward I lived in the Labour candidates always finished up last but the Greens always came first or second.
The Labour manifesto contains a mix of left of centre policies and some bordering on being socialist. It's certainly not Corbyn's dream manifesto, he's compromised in most areas.
I wonder if a new election will get called once everything to do with Brexit has been completed. btw with the Fixed Parliaments Act (or whatever it's called) General Elections are meant to be every 5 years so will the next one be in 2020 or will the clock have been "reset" and the next one be in 2022?
I wonder how many people on this forum were eligible to vote in the mid-1980s.
If you include Cameron (with a Conservative led coalition) then out of the last 7 parliaments there's only been one Labour PM who's not called an election after 4 years and one Conservative PM who's not waited a full 5 years before calling an election. I wonder how many people on this forum were eligible to vote in the mid-1980s.
People seem to have a funny relationship with the term hard left these days mainly thanks to Tony Blair. Hard Left is like anything the Tories wouldn't do. Fair enough you may say but then you get the right wing press making off the cuff remarks about communism etc and it all gets a bit daft.
Increasing taxes for people earning over £80,000, what next, Lenin statues in Trafalgar Square...
![]()
This map tends to indicate that they are on the 'lighter' end of the attendance scale.
Won't she desperately try to survive until the boundary changes kick in?I cant see May lasting 5 years so i would expect one soon, maybe even within the next 12 months
Increasing taxes for people earning over £80,000, what next, Lenin statues in Trafalgar Square...
![]()
But it wouldn't stop there. The next step would be anyone over £50,000, the anyone over £30,000 .... All to carry on taking money from those who aspire, earn, and contribute and hand it over to the socialist claimant brigade.Increasing taxes for people earning over £80,000, what next, Lenin statues in Trafalgar Square...
![]()
Are you the oldest on the forum?Being born in 1945, I was eligible to vote in the mid-1960s, twenty years before the mid-1980s as stated above.
I'm not at all convinced the boundary changes will benefit them as much as they are assuming. They're not worth more than about 20 seats by most estimations anyway.Won't she desperately try to survive until the boundary changes kick in?
Pro brexit: Old people Anti brexit: Young people
Conservative: Old people Labour: Young people
So in 4 or 8 years Labour will will the elections.
If you include Cameron (with a Conservative led coalition) then out of the last 7 parliaments there's only been one Labour PM who's not called an election after 4 years and one Conservative PM who's not waited a full 5 years before calling an election. I wonder how many people on this forum were eligible to vote in the mid-1980s.
Does this mean that Mrs May was stretching the facts a bit when she went to see HM the Queen.?The Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) has agreed in principle a "confidence and supply" deal to support a Conservative government, it has been announced.
Theresa May was left eight seats short of an overall majority in the general election, while the DUP won 10 seats.
Tory chief whip Gavin Williamson went to Belfast on Saturday for talks with the Northern Irish party.
Downing Street said the of the outline deal details would be discussed at a cabinet meeting on Monday.
Any agreement would come into force when Parliament returns next week.
Are you the oldest on the forum?
DUP agrees 'confidence' deal with Tories
Does this mean that Mrs May was stretching the facts a bit when she went to see HM the Queen.?
In fact it is not essential to have an absolute majority, though it can make government a great deal easier if you do.
Tell that to TM and the Conservatives. They've made a big deal over the last few years of a majority government being essential to the functioning of the country. (Need I say it again, "Strong and Stable").
They are required to command the support of the house, and although that's not necessarily a majority, for a minority leader like TM she'll need to demonstrate that she can command the support. Fairly easy for her to achieve with the support of the DUP. Even without the DUP though (assuming they abstained on everything, for example) she could still get things through assuming all her MPs are loyal. The DUP is the safety net.
If you are referring to the leader of a party who actually recorded the worst total seat loss, you can only be referring to Nicola Sturgeon of the Scottish National Party whose insistence on a second referendum most certainly was a major reason for this occurrence that saw them lose no less than 21 of their seats.
The Conservative Party only lost a net total of 12 seats.
