Well it's planned on other days!I think that would be a wee bit short of power in diesel mode!
Well it's planned on other days!I think that would be a wee bit short of power in diesel mode!
More thrash...I think that would be a wee bit short of power in diesel mode!
Well if Inverness is 1 73 vice 2 with a 66 on top, it could release one. Or they just don’t bother with EDs cos they’re a bit rubbish!Perhaps they'll cancel a couple of Caledonian Sleeper portions and tell the passengers - sorry, guests - that it's due to staff shortages.
== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
I think that would be a wee bit short of power in diesel mode!
The fact that they are using sheds shows that they can't spare any be 73s as they can't get enough to use themselves!Well if Inverness is 1 73 vice 2 with a 66 on top, it could release one. Or they just don’t bother with EDs cos they’re a bit rubbish!
The 73/9s are needed to couple to the Mk 5s and also supply ETH, neither of which the 66 can do on its own.I believe the 73s are still powering. The 73 is just there to connect to the Mk5 right?
The latter I think. It's mentioned in the email sent out to all booked on the train simply as "Bow West".Bow West doesn't appear to be the name of any junction or timing point that I can find, anyone have any idea where it is or is it just a general area description that's been given to keep it vague?
That's a shame. Was a huge selling point of the overnight leg for me. Would've still done days 3 and 4 but would have just taken a more leisurely journey up to Scotland.Update: no trip to Bromsgrove for the 86 up the Lickey on the overnight leg, thanks to pathing issues.
Seems to refer to Bow Depot where the trains are loaded and unloaded of stone and spoil. Hence “rare track”.The latter I think. It's mentioned in the email sent out to all booked on the train simply as "Bow West".
There is still a fair bit of time built in to head north so with any luck we will get something to make up for it a littleThat's a shame. Was a huge selling point of the overnight leg for me. Would've still done days 3 and 4 but would have just taken a more leisurely journey up to Scotland.

Looks like the run via Cannock and the two locomotive changes (92 replacing the 86 then 20s replacing the 92) that take up the time - eight hours from Birmingham to Exhibition Centre otherwise seems very slow.There is still a fair bit of time built in to head north so with any luck we will get something to make up for it a little![]()
It does seem that way - it looks like that the Clapham Junction and Watford Junction stops would potentially allow passengers to make their own way between these stations to pick up provisions on the way (eg in Clapham Junction) but it would be a bit tight.I’m reading this correctly once on train at Euston on Day 2 the next official break is Oban on day 3.
If I’m reading this correctly once on train at Euston on Day 2 the next official break is Oban on day 3.
could we be getting a hour or 2 break on the WCML overnight run - Crewe loco change plus a break to grab food perhaps ?
All will become evident when details pop up on RTT etc
There's an optional break in Southampton on Day 2 for those who don't wish to remain on the train for Marchwood. No timings have been provided for this which is why I didn't mention it above.It does seem that way - it looks like that the Clapham Junction and Watford Junction stops would potentially allow passengers to make their own way between these stations to pick up provisions on the way (eg in Clapham Junction) but it would be a bit tight.
It's 11:45 to 15:46 at Southampton, you can view here https://www.gbrfcharityrailtours.co.uk/gb21d2There's an optional break in Southampton on Day 2 for those who don't wish to remain on the train for Marchwood. No timings have been provided for this which is why I didn't mention it above.
Admittedly that is an option but matchwood is rare track plus having a shunter or two in there is even rarer so although some may get off I won’t be ….There's an optional break in Southampton on Day 2 for those who don't wish to remain on the train for Marchwood. No timings have been provided for this which is why I didn't mention it above.
Thank you!It's 11:45 to 15:46 at Southampton, you can view here https://www.gbrfcharityrailtours.co.uk/gb21d2
It is a bit disappointing that the only option for a mid day break on Day 2 is to miss Marchwood. I doubt many people will choose to miss out on Marchwood, I know if I was doing day 2 I wouldn't be choosing to miss out on it.Admittedly that is an option but matchwood is rare track plus having a shunter or two in there is even rarer so although some may get off I won’t be ….
just wait and see what RTT shows up once loaded on there.
Depends how desperate you are to red pen the line - Marchwood often features on tours. I'd be off like a shot at Southampton for a breather.Thank you!
It is a bit disappointing that the only option for a mid day break on Day 2 is to miss Marchwood. I doubt many people will choose to miss out on Marchwood, I know if I was doing day 2 I wouldn't be choosing to miss out on it.
But never heard of a tour going Into There and using the sites private shunters, which will be a big draw to most - along with the line to those who haven’t done it.Depends how desperate you are to red pen the line - Marchwood often features on tours. I'd be off like a shot at Southampton for a breather.
Depends how full the yard is with MOD traffic and Freightliner sets. Won't be using Mulberry Halt either as its now unsafe.But never heard of a tour going Into There and using the sites private shunters, which will be a big draw to most - along with the line to those who haven’t done it.
A three hour visit into the site also insinuates quite a bit to be done in there if you are a “track” man.
If I’m reading this correctly once on train at Euston on Day 2 the next official break is Oban on day 3.
could we be getting a hour or 2 break on the WCML overnight run - Crewe loco change plus a break to grab food perhaps ?
All will become evident when details pop up on RTT etc
it’s not just the branch. It’s now the old MOD sidings which are a private port complex so this is quite large!Depends how desperate you are to red pen the line - Marchwood often features on tours. I'd be off like a shot at Southampton for a breather.
I know, I'm quite familiar with it! It's run by a private concern, but still 100% MOD traffic into the port itself. How far into complex the charter goes remains to be seen, but 2hrs + going up and down the reception roads might get a tad 'old' for all but the most desperate! Given the choice, I'd be off at Southampton for a social pint or two and some half decent scran. There's precisely 0% chance of either of those whilst festering for the off from Marchwood.No chance. This is part of the problem sadly of this particular itinerary, as at least last time there was a good chance to stock up in London if you agreed not to sit in Acton Lane getting the stock watered. As it stands its looking a bit desperate.
== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
it’s not just the branch. It’s now the old MOD sidings which are a private port complex so this is quite large!
Even some time at Euston in the original plan might have allowed that (although any substantial shop is too far away really) just as it did at Waterloo three years ago.This is part of the problem sadly of this particular itinerary, as at least last time there was a good chance to stock up in London if you agreed not to sit in Acton Lane getting the stock watered.
Even some time at Euston in the original plan might have allowed that (although any substantial shop is too far away really) just as it did at Waterloo three years ago.
M&S right outside the station.From memory it was something like 15 minutes at Waterloo, enough time for people to make a dash to the Sainsburys/Tesco/Boots etc for food
Euston has a Sainsburys (although if it will have anything left that time of day is a gamble) or a M&S close to the station.
That’s a good shout !! Missing a shunter or two at Eastleigh is a fair trade off to get a meal …Looks like a few are off after Marchwood and rejoining at Clapham.